Question [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Question

P00nSHARK
04-04-2012, 08:03 AM
i currently have a 2000 grand am gt coupe. it has 160k miles on it and was wondering if i should try to sell it or try and replace the motor with another motor with half the milage, at most. which would be cheaper?

chris_gt_74
04-04-2012, 08:06 AM
i currently have a 2000 grand am gt coupe. it has 160k miles on it and was wondering if i should try to sell it or try and replace the motor with another motor with half the milage, at most. which would be cheaper?

What do you think your car is worth to you? An engine can be had for less than $1k maybe even less than $500 if you really shop around for one.

P00nSHARK
04-04-2012, 08:35 AM
to me the car is priceless cause i love it. but that answers my question, i can afford that easily. thanks

P00nSHARK
04-04-2012, 09:01 AM
to me the car is priceless cause i love it. but that answers my question, i can afford that easily. thanks

AaronGTR
04-04-2012, 05:37 PM
160k miles isn't that much. If it still runs good, I'd keep it. You never know what kind of condition a junkyard motor is in, even if it's got lower miles. I learned this the hard way myself. I tried to buy a motor for mine from a salvage yard that was listed with 96k miles on it. They had pulled it from the car and power washed it without checking the motor first, and the valve covers and gaskets had been removed at some point then the valve covers slapped back on loose.... so the yard just pressure washed a bunch of sand and water inside the engine then it sat there for 5 months! It was junk, the motor was totally seized. I took it back and they wouldn't give me a full refund and I lost $300 on that motor.

Lesson is, salvage yards are scumbags so watch your back and be careful what you buy... and you may just be better off with the motor you have. You might love your car and it might hold sentimental value to you, but in the long run it's really not worth much so you shouldn't spend more on it than you have to. It might end up costing you even more.