Smell from heat [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Smell from heat

kust3mz
04-04-2012, 02:00 PM
I have a 2003 grand am gt 4 door car with low miles 35,000 there is a smell coming from the heat in the car at all times some kind of chemical smell, It also leave's a bad taste in your mouth is so bad I refuse to drive the car, so far I have checked for any kind of exhaust leaks, no oil leaks, no antifreeze leaks, the smell comes no matter what setting the heat is on you can also smell it with the ac on just not near as bad as the heat, what can I do, Change old parts or sale it? lol please help;crap

kust3mz
04-04-2012, 03:02 PM
Sorry haha, It's coming from the heater/ac vents, It don't smell like oil,gas,or exhaust, more of a cleaner smell "Will take your breath" The car does have the original catalytic converter but it seems to be fine, I did how ever spill oil on the plugs and exhaust when trying to pour a big bottle of GTX in with out a funnel :/ but that was weeks ago, I've had the car running now for 3 hours straight with the heat on, and the smell is still there :/ it fuc*ing reeks, I can not smell it on the out side of the car nor under the hood or exhaust it's crazy I have no clue were its coming from...

FuriousG
04-04-2012, 07:26 PM
Maybe something to do with the AC or the refrigerant leaking? I would take it to a shop and ask their opinion since it's rather difficult to diagnose a smell over the internet...

street_fire
04-04-2012, 08:16 PM
it's rather difficult to diagnose a smell over the internet...

lol

kust3mz
04-04-2012, 08:48 PM
Joke taking away, To many but hurt people

FuriousG
04-04-2012, 09:39 PM
You're a funny little troll aren't you?

Do yourself a favor and don't buy a used car. You're obviously not capable of dealing with any issues that you're going to find in ANY car that's more than a few years old. For a 9 year old car with only 35K miles on it, it would almost certainly be cheaper to repair it than to jump into an entirely different vehicle with it's own set of new problems. But hey, only a pu$$y would spend the time to actually fix their minor problems right?

Seriously though, if you think it's such a crap car, why did you buy it in the first place? (Especially if this is the 3rd one you've owned!?!) And then, why did you come here asking for help when you are obviously set on selling it rather than trying to fix it?

afterdeath07
04-04-2012, 10:06 PM
Nah I would rather sale it and buy her something worth a crap, the wife has had 3 of these junks, and I've sold them all, I can't believe a man would drive such a pu$$y car any way

ill give ya 50 bucks for that **** car. or you could be a man and fix it. i thought it was *****s that gave up things because they didnt have the skill/tools for the job. sounds like you need a heater core, pretty easy repair. for us *****s anyway. big man like you should have no problem. :asshat

kust3mz
04-04-2012, 11:32 PM
I did not buy the car first of all, I've did all I can to my knowledge to see what it is, My wife has 2 kid's and no way what so ever am I going to allow them to ride in this car, If it were a heater core there would be 1. water in floor board, 2. a musky smell, this is a flat out crazy smell, Me nor does the local garage's have a clue to whats causing the smell, You all need to get your head's out of your ass, Learn to take a joke... GEEZ

kust3mz
04-04-2012, 11:36 PM
The smell, sort of smells like "Hair spray" if that make's any sense...

but there is one detail I left out, the heater switch only work's on 4 and 5, 1-2-3 do not work, just figured I would throw that out I forgot about that...

afterdeath07
04-05-2012, 11:46 AM
depending on the size of the leak it may not soak the floorboards or smell musky. i would pull the plastic cover over the heater core and visually check it to make sure only thing i can think of would be a small amount of coolant running down the core and getting evaporated by the blower. i believe that it can be accessed from underneath the dash in the passenger footwell as for 123 not working there is a resistor in there that goes bad, there are a few threads on it already.