Anyone see these?? Scam?? Too good to be true at that price?? [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Anyone see these?? Scam?? Too good to be true at that price??

sugar ray
04-06-2012, 01:32 AM
Browsing Ebay. I have an 02 GA 3.4. No fancy turbo just a regular 3.4
For $25 you gotta be kidding?? When I first purchased my GA 10 years ago brand new power chips were like $250+

Are they cheap now because an 02 is considered an old model?? Are these chips advising premium fuel like most chips?? I always felt chips requiring premium fuel wiped out any chip advantage in fuel savings just for the fact you have to spend extra $$$$ to make the chip do its thing

Anyways....have a peek.....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/PERFORMANCE-CHIP-PONTIAC-GRAND-AM-1990-2005-2001-2002-/380331687025?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Year%3A2002|Model%3AGrand+Am&hash=item588d88fc71&vxp=mtr

sugar ray
04-06-2012, 01:43 AM
NEVER MIND!!! found this post in another forum. Looks like its nothing more then a resistor over that fancy cover:

QUOTE:i bought one for my buic park ave didnt see any difference, might have been less fuel milage. took it off and tore it apare. the only thing inside the filling material (to hide what is inside) was the two wires connected to a 2kohms 20% resistor. real hi tech huh!!! they even used the cheapest resistor they could find... this is a big rip off and i should have know better. tried to contact the company to thank them for the rip off but i cant get past their faq questions.... mever again...ps spread the word

HOYS
04-06-2012, 01:56 AM
Most people don't buy these...

blckgagt
04-06-2012, 09:27 AM
Fuel chips are worthless! Go boost or go home.

locoman99
04-06-2012, 12:45 PM
Fuel chips are worthless! Go boost or go home.

I love my grand am..but as clearly demonstrated by yourself and countless others these cars not good platforms to boost. i could turbo my riding lawn mower, but why?

blckgagt
04-06-2012, 12:48 PM
It was a joke man.....I agree that boosting these cars are expensive to make reliable but it's doable. Most of the problems I've had could of been avoided though.

geldartb
04-06-2012, 12:52 PM

since they are a complete joke and worthless.

gotta give the guy who makes them props along with all the suckers he get's to buy them.
i could turbo my riding lawn mower, but why?

for the obvious reason of it would be cool

HOYS
04-06-2012, 01:50 PM
I love my grand am..but as clearly demonstrated by yourself and countless others these cars not good platforms to boost. i could turbo my riding lawn mower, but why?

Because it is most likely a two stroke and boosting a two stroke really doesn't do much :P

locoman99
04-06-2012, 02:10 PM
Fuel chips are a scam...no doubt and everyone calls them out but a cai is a waste of money on a stock engine and everyone acts like it should be one of your first engine mods. The stock airbox and ducting with a clean hiflow filter prob can support 250hp with ease. If u think u need more induction a larger throttle body is not much more expensive than a cai would cost. The exhaust on these cars is the first restriction to making power.

locoman99
04-06-2012, 02:14 PM
Because it is most likely a two stroke and boosting a two stroke really doesn't do much :P

FALSE.... A two stoke makes better power under boost than a four stroke. The turbocharger on an emd710 weighs as much three grandams..

zukiracer19
04-06-2012, 03:41 PM
3xxx's aren't good platforms to boost?? JACKASS.

AaronGTR
04-06-2012, 05:00 PM
Total scam. If it was that easy to add 35hp AND get 4mpg better by plugging in a $25 part.... the manufacturer would have designed the car with it from the beginning! OEM's spend millions of dollars fine tuning drive train management systems that will give the maximum HP possible while being within the fuel mileage and emissions target of their market for a given car, and while keeping a margin of safety for reliable operation and long life of the vehicle.

Any cheap gimmick product like this most likely either doesn't work at all... or it improves one aspect while sacrificing one or more of the others.

locoman99
04-06-2012, 05:10 PM
3xxx's aren't good platforms to boost?? JACKASS.

No, not really, especially in an n body ... 60v6 in an fbody, maybe. There is nothing about this engine or this platform that lends itself to being boosted. a pushrod v6 transverse mount fwd with a weak transaxle with little aftermarker support does not lend itself well to boosting. Sorry thats the truth. Will it make more power? Yes..any engine would. It can be done..no doubt anything can be, i am not saying that. But spending ten grand in upgrades to turn a high 14 second car into a 13 second car speaks for itself in terms of practicality.

AaronGTR
04-06-2012, 05:17 PM
No, not really, especially in an n body ... 60v6 in an fbody, maybe. There is nothing about this engine or this platform that lends itself to being boosted. a pushrod v6 transverse mount fwd with a weak transaxle with little aftermarker support does not lend itself well to boosting. Sorry thats the truth. Will it make more power? Yes..any engine would. It can be done..no doubt anything can be, i am not saying that. But spending ten grand in upgrades to turn a 14 second car into a 12 second car speaks for itself in terms of practicality.

Unfortunately I have to agree with you. And I speak from experience. Yes, the engine responds reasonably well to boost and makes more HP... but it is NOT cheap or easy to boost one of these engines. The efficiency is also limited by the engine/trans configuration and space available in the engine bay. Just look at the lengths to which Nick-G has gone in turbo build in his efforts to maximize the potential of his build. Eliminating many components and systems, relocating things such as the PS pump, and even rotating the intake manifold. Costly, difficult, and far from stock. And yes, then there is the crappy stock trans, the expense and limited availability of parts, and limited experience and testing of high power boosted setups in the community.

gtjoshua1
04-06-2012, 05:30 PM
That exact chip worked for my uncle. He put it in an 04 Grand Prix and he got a 23 HP gain. And now gets 6 MPG more.I was shocked.

zukiracer19
04-06-2012, 05:38 PM
No, not really, especially in an n body ... 60v6 in an fbody, maybe. There is nothing about this engine or this platform that lends itself to being boosted. a pushrod v6 transverse mount fwd with a weak transaxle with little aftermarker support does not lend itself well to boosting. Sorry thats the truth. Will it make more power? Yes..any engine would. It can be done..no doubt anything can be, i am not saying that. But spending ten grand in upgrades to turn a high 14 second car into a 13 second car speaks for itself in terms of practicality.

You mean realistically a Low-Mid 15 maybe even 16 second car is some areas to a 13 second car with as little as 1500-2000$ isn't really that bad.

I ran a 14.013 @ 103mph with no first gear, slipping trans, exhaust leak, on 4 psi in 2nd, 10 psi in 3rd.

If I would've had my trans fixed by then I'm willing to put money on low 13s on 6 psi. maybe even closer to 13 flat/high 12s on a higher psi like 12. I've spent 1300 on my setup. IMO Transmission was really the only flaw... But I did blow a headgasket when I spiked 17 psi messing around with a Bolted on GTO. It went up way to quick to let off and by that time coolant was everywhere. (But 17 psi Felt like it pulled harder then my friends vortec supercharged mustang... No joke lol)

locoman99
04-06-2012, 05:57 PM
You mean realistically a Low-Mid 15 maybe even 16 second car is some areas to a 13 second car with as little as 1500-2000$ isn't really that bad.

I ran a 14.013 @ 103mph with no first gear, slipping trans, exhaust leak, on 4 psi in 2nd, 10 psi in 3rd.

If I would've had my trans fixed by then I'm willing to put money on low 13s on 6 psi. maybe even closer to 13 flat/high 12s on a higher psi like 12. I've spent 1300 on my setup. IMO Transmission was really the only flaw... But I did blow a headgasket when I spiked 17 psi messing around with a Bolted on GTO. It went up way to quick to let off and by that time coolant was everywhere. (But 17 psi Felt like it pulled harder then my friends vortec supercharged mustang... No joke lol)

I rest my case...lol
Ps. it was the goat was the one messing around with you..not the other way around.

zukiracer19
04-06-2012, 06:48 PM
My car is faster then the goat, I gave him a ride before we raced on 15 psi and he said I'll beat him lol. I pulled him hard till it creeped.

Cars I've raced at track go as: LS1 RX7, Built Supra, SRT-4, Ford Lightning. The ford lightning was low 12s high 11s all night, I heard him over talking saying it was stock from factory lmao... yea right.

locoman99
04-06-2012, 07:01 PM
My car is faster then the goat, I gave him a ride before we raced on 15 psi and he said I'll beat him lol. I pulled him hard till it creeped.

Cars I've raced at track go as: LS1 RX7, Built Supra, SRT-4, Ford Lightning. The ford lightning was low 12s high 11s all night, I heard him over talking saying it was stock from factory lmao... yea right.

I call bs on you my freind...stock ls2 gto is a hi 12 car...boltons to easy 11s or better. My 9 yo daughter could drive one around your ga on 20lbs before it exploded into smoking pile of fail.

AaronGTR
04-06-2012, 07:12 PM
That exact chip worked for my uncle. He put it in an 04 Grand Prix and he got a 23 HP gain. And now gets 6 MPG more.I was shocked.

And he has proof of this? lol

I call BS on this too.... but then again that's normal for you zuki.

zukiracer19
04-06-2012, 07:27 PM
It's a 5.7L LS1. What's there not to understand?

locoman99
04-06-2012, 07:55 PM
It's a 5.7L LS1. What's there not to understand?

Then he was 15 lengths ahead of you instead of 25 when u grenade your engine.

zukiracer19
04-06-2012, 08:06 PM
Whatever you say kiddo.

gtjoshua1
04-06-2012, 08:16 PM
And he has proof of this? lol

Yeah he showed me the before and after dyno results.

zukiracer19
04-07-2012, 06:07 AM
I have time slips and plenty of videos of what my car could do. LS2 GTO would run me for my money. My friends vortec mustang ran 12.0-12.4 range and he walked me.

zukiracer19
04-07-2012, 06:10 AM
http://youtu.be/hvTSt5pswvE?t=55s

[ChaosweaveR]
04-10-2012, 01:45 PM
Oh, this thread is just stellar.

boost21
04-10-2012, 03:53 PM
http://youtu.be/hvTSt5pswvE?t=55s

No offence but the car seems to pull really slow in that vid. Compared to a stock grand am it might be quicker but the cars you claim to have beaten just seem un-realistic. I would imagine if you actually beat some of the cars listed it would have been due to their own driver error, traction or other factors. Just doesn't add up that a stock suspension, FWD car on street tires would have any chance. I have been in two turbo, a eaton and a rsm supercharged grand am so I have quite the experience with them and racing.

rocketfast123
04-11-2012, 09:51 AM

You will be surprise. You don't know how many times I hear none car people say they got a chip and it's thats junk. That's when i say, really?

[ChaosweaveR]
04-11-2012, 10:03 AM
You will be surprise. You don't know how many times I hear none car people say they got a chip and it's thats junk. That's when i say, really?

It's sad really...how some $1 resistor in a fancy box will gain them 20HP by splicing it into the MAF is beyond me. lol

zukiracer19
04-11-2012, 10:44 AM
No offence but the car seems to pull really slow in that vid. Compared to a stock grand am it might be quicker but the cars you claim to have beaten just seem un-realistic. I would imagine if you actually beat some of the cars listed it would have been due to their own driver error, traction or other factors. Just doesn't add up that a stock suspension, FWD car on street tires would have any chance. I have been in two turbo, a eaton and a rsm supercharged grand am so I have quite the experience with them and racing.

LOL you have a boosted v8 gives you right to start talking ****? Lawl.

[ChaosweaveR]
04-11-2012, 10:58 AM
LOL you have a boosted v8 gives you right to start talking ****? Lawl.

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d102/Xaus59/1a0b2a92.jpg