Jumping tach, surging while driving. [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Jumping tach, surging while driving.

JFleury8469
04-10-2012, 05:42 PM
Hey everyone, I'm having a problem with my '99 Grand Am 3.4L that has been around for a while, but it's recently started to become a real issue. The car feels like it surges and the tach needle jumps around a bit. This only happens while trying to maintain speed, but not while coasting/idling/accelerating. I shot some video of it hoping that it might shed some light:

Crazy Tach (http://youtu.be/MohYcovjjgc?t=20s)

The SES light above has something to do with the EVAP system (I thought it was a p0336, but that was from my problem with my CKP sensor a while back). Any ideas as to what this could be?

Another problem I'm having is that my cruise control doesn't work, I pulled and cleaned the wheel speed sensor harnesses in the front and that seemed to help for a few weeks, but now it's back to making my ABS light pop after turning out of a side street.

The car is getting a bit old, 192k on the body, 92k or so on the motor, so I'm thinking of getting rid of it soon, I just want to make it work as well and as long as possible while I still have it. Thanks for any advice!

zukiracer19
04-10-2012, 06:59 PM
Torque converter or MAF was always my issues I ran into.

JFleury8469
04-11-2012, 01:54 PM
I'll have to take a look at my MAF I guess, I'll probably do it when I'm cleaning my CAI filter today... I forgot if that's the part I clean with carb cleaner. Also, any suggestions on certain areas I should spray starter fluid for a vac leak test? I really want that SES light gone...

afterdeath07
04-11-2012, 03:04 PM
check the brake switch on the brake pedal, mine went out and would cause that to happen with the torque converter locking and unlocking. when it jumps does your cruise shut off, mine did

JFleury8469
04-11-2012, 09:44 PM
Just finished cleaning my air filter and MAF, going to drive around a bit tomorrow after work and see how she runs. I'll have to look into the brake switch a bit later. I'm not sure where that switch is located either.

On another note, I found a slight coolant leak when I started to engine after putting my intake back together. It looks like it's coming from around the LIM, leaking onto the transmission, and that makes me a bit nervous... Now I know where my coolant has been going over the past few months...

JFleury8469
04-14-2012, 01:12 PM
Looks like cleaning the filter and MAF fixed the surging problem.
Cruise still shuts off while driving, but I'm sure that's because of the wheel speed sensors (and/or brake switch).
I still need to find out where the coolant leak is, but I'll do that while I check the transmission fluid levels since they're pretty close to each other. Thanks for the help.

sleepyalero
04-14-2012, 05:06 PM
be careful... that problem you had could come back. my car had the same surging problem, i cleaned my maf and even replaced it, it would just decide when it wants to surge, some days it would some it would be almost a perfect charm. so i suspected the TC. so instead of replacing it. i just got a 6 speed manual for the car. even before my tranny rebuild it still had the surging problem. and started slipping on me again after i had that rebuild done. i just got tired of it lol.