Hptuners [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Hptuners

chris_gt_74
04-16-2012, 11:56 PM
Does anyone have a .hpt file they don't mind posting for a grand am with similar mods as mine. I'm mainly looking for the shifting mods and exhaust mods. The other stuff would be nice but not necessary. If I can't locate a suitable file I'm just going to buy a tuned pcm from either Milzy or Ben and tune from there once I comfortable do it on my own. All I can seem to locate so far online are all stock tunes which I have already.

I have ported 3400 heads, competition ported LIM and UIM, 65mm throttle body, cai, s&s headers w/ high flow cat and pacesetter catback.

gectek
04-17-2012, 12:34 AM
Do you have HP Tuners?

HOYS
04-17-2012, 12:37 AM
The year of the car will matter in this to have the correct OS.

boost21
04-17-2012, 01:36 AM
Check the repository?

chris_gt_74
04-17-2012, 06:55 AM
Yes I have hptuners I just bought it. I read my pcm already but I do not have a wb installed yet and haven't done a good wot scan yet. My grand am is also an 05 gt. I'm still looking around for something but all I find so far are stock 05 files. I'm not really looking for a ready to flash file. I just need the parameters to copy over to my stock file.

gectek
04-17-2012, 01:03 PM
Well, honestly I am not sure who would post up a tune like that without asking for some sort of payment. You are asking to short cut all their hard work and time spent tuning.

chris_gt_74
04-17-2012, 02:51 PM
Well, honestly I am not sure who would post up a tune like that without asking for some sort of payment. You are asking to short cut all their hard work and time spent tuning.

I understand that and I'd reasonably compensate depending on the tune they were going to provide and how close it would come to my mods. I'm not asking for a complete tune by any means. I'm also not trying to pay out the ass for it either because I know what a new pcm runs and besides I'm not looking to profit off of someone's tune. If I knew what I was doing exactly I wouldn't even be asking for the help. If I can't get something to basically start with that takes my mods into account then I'm just going to go with a tuned pcm from someone and work on it from there. I've already spoken to Milzy and Ben through email and both leave to the tunes open for further tuning.

AaronGTR
04-17-2012, 04:25 PM
I understand the desire to have a good starting point to work from.... but honestly, you won't know how to tune any further from what they give you unless you learn how to do it yourself from the beginning. I know it can be a long and sometimes frustrating process, but you will need to know how it all works to know where you need to make changes to fine tune the program for your car. It might take a while longer, but I would just start reading the HP forums and everything on tuning you can get your hands on, and do it yourself. After all, you already have the HP tuner and they aren't cheap... might as well get some use out of it. ;)

chris_gt_74
04-17-2012, 07:52 PM
I understand the desire to have a good starting point to work from.... but honestly, you won't know how to tune any further from what they give you unless you learn how to do it yourself from the beginning. I know it can be a long and sometimes frustrating process, but you will need to know how it all works to know where you need to make changes to fine tune the program for your car. It might take a while longer, but I would just start reading the HP forums and everything on tuning you can get your hands on, and do it yourself. After all, you already have the HP tuner and they aren't cheap... might as well get some use out of it. ;)

This is true lol. I really would like to learn it and put it to use but honestly I really want a tune file for comparison. The only thing at the moment Id like to change are a few dtcs, fan temps and the default shift points that are commonly in a tune. I already figured the easy stuff out but the shift points not even close.

AleroB888
04-17-2012, 08:22 PM
This is true lol. I got the pro unit for $515 new. I really would like to learn it and put it to use but honestly I really want a tune file for comparison. The only thing at the moment Id like to change are a few dtcs, fan temps and the default shift points that are commonly in a tune. I already figured the easy stuff out but the shift points not even close.

Go to "Engine" > "Fuel Control" > "Fuel Cutoff" > Fuel Cutoff RPM vs Gear......

If you haven't already, raise those to 6500 / 6400 if you plan to rev the engine higher.

gectek
04-18-2012, 07:53 PM
PS, if you have a stock cam, it will make no use to rev it any higher. The engine is out of steam by then.

AleroB888
04-18-2012, 08:09 PM
PS, if you have a stock cam, it will make no use to rev it any higher. The engine is out of steam by then.

That's true. He said he might copy over some files though, and if he does, he doesn't want to forget that one.

geldartb
04-19-2012, 06:21 AM
IIRC it starts dropping off power around 5600rpm so spinning anything higher than that is a waste.

chris_gt_74
04-19-2012, 08:37 AM
Well if I had the time and means to do it right now I would see about getting a cam. I already have the springs for it I'd just need the tools for the job and the time to go along with it. I really should find a way since I seem to have some timing chain noise or what I believe is chain noise. It would be the perfect time to do it. I've been meaning to post a video here so I can get some input on if the chain is indeed what I'm hearing. I have a mechanic's stethoscope and as best as I can tell the sound is coming from the correct area of the engine for it to be the chain rattling.