A/C Climate Control Switch [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : A/C Climate Control Switch

bmoc0129
04-20-2012, 02:06 PM
Does anyone know how to replace an A/C Climate Control Switch? The knob for the vent control was stuck last night and after I tried to turn the knob it began to move yet the air only blew through the front vents. This lead me to believe that the switch was stuck on blowing through the front vents no matter what vents were selected. Today I tried again to look at the knob and apparently broke the knob off.

Could anyone give me some insight on how to fix this? I know I can order a new AC control switch for about $100 bucks or so but I do not know how to access the old one to remove it.

Or perhaps I can just replace the individual knob control?

Thanks for your help!

chris_gt_74
04-20-2012, 04:48 PM
Maybe it's just stuck. Try using some pliers.. gently.

ATXGrunt
04-22-2012, 09:25 AM
I had mine do the same thing while back.. went to Autozone and they had a pack of 3 for 12 bucks. The three knobs were different in the pack. one of them did fit.. just slide it on and it fits..

bmoc0129
04-22-2012, 10:21 AM
@ATXGrunt was your knob stuck as well? The metal piece that's left wouldn't turn with a pair of needle-nose pliers so I assumed the Heater Control unit was broken. I hope just replacing the knob isn't the solution as I've already ordered a replacement Heater Control unit :-(

UndeadGods
04-23-2012, 04:19 PM
I had the same thing happen to me, replaced the switch knob from my other GAGT and it worked like a charm, it was weird!

bmoc0129
04-24-2012, 12:28 PM
Thanks everyone for your help. I ended up replacing the AC control knob as advised and *MAGIC* the knob turns effortlessly. Quite weird...but a $12 fix. I cancelled my order for the replacement Heater & A/C Control Unit!

Quick question...does anyone know where to find some in-depth instructions for installing an aftermarket CD player in a Pontiac Grand Am (2002)? I didn't see one when I searched here but if I overlooked it PLEASE excuse me.

UndeadGods
04-27-2012, 10:22 PM
Thanks everyone for your help. I ended up replacing the AC control knob as advised and *MAGIC* the knob turns effortlessly. Quite weird...but a $12 fix. I cancelled my order for the replacement Heater & A/C Control Unit!

Quick question...does anyone know where to find some in-depth instructions for installing an aftermarket CD player in a Pontiac Grand Am (2002)? I didn't see one when I searched here but if I overlooked it PLEASE excuse me.

Glad to hear that you got it fixed.

As for aftermarket CD player, if you have a Monsoon amp, you will lose it unless you buy an adapter that will plug into the original wiring and then rewire the other side into the aftermarket deck.
All you will have to do is match the wires from the car to the radio (radios, if bought new, come with a diagram, they show you which wire is for what)