Fuel Pump Replacement [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Pump Replacement

bobb
04-20-2012, 05:10 PM
2003 GT lost power and idled rough. Turned it off and would not restart. A little later restarted but still ran rough and had little power. Towed to a garage (never been there before). they diagnosed fuel pump is bad. $780.00 for them to replace.

60k original miles on the car and oops never replaced the fuel filter.

Does the gas tank need to be emptied and dropped to replace the pump?

unchained_01
04-20-2012, 05:36 PM
Yes sir it does and replace the screen and the filter. And wow thats expensive. !!! If you have the tools and a place to do it you can DIY for less than half. Mine always seem to go when I have a full tank. LOL. Good luck

FuriousG
04-20-2012, 08:34 PM
Mine went out around 60K miles too. I don't remember how much I spent though since it was in Euros and about 4 years ago.

I did just recently have to get the fuel pump replaced on my mom's '96 Cavalier and the shop raped us for nearly $1300. I couldn't shop around much though since it was on the weekend and we were in the middle of moving her and my sister to where I live and we were still over 250 miles away from home. They knew we had no choice so they jacked the prices up way too high.

I agree that $780 is too high too but if your car doesn't run, shops will jack up the price since they know they have you by the balls.

plastic_indian
04-21-2012, 11:46 PM
I agree that $780 is too high too but if your car doesn't run, shops will jack up the price since they know they have you by the balls.

Or perhaps the OP lives in an area where $90-ish labor rates are the norm. Perhaps this shop also is quoting a Delphi tank unit (as opposed to AZ or similar Airtex trash) and has to make an honest margin on the part. With diag charges, drain/fill and R&I labor times to install a legitimate OE part, this is a fair price.

UndeadGods
04-23-2012, 11:43 AM
To replace the pump you'll need to do the following

1) Jack up the read end, put some bricks under your front tires and some jack stands to support the car
2) Take off the rear heat shield
3) Loosen the 2 belts that hold the gas tank, you might need to replace the bolts cuz they break easily when rusted
4) Disconnect all the wires/tubes
5) Drop the gas tank by maneuvering it around the exhaust
6) When the gas tank is on the floor, on the top of it you'll see your pump, it's held in by a metal (gasket??) that twists to loosen it, then just pull it out, please remember which way the pump was originally facing before taking it out.
7) Replace the plastic gasket (it cost me about 25$Canadian dollars for a new one from dealership), dont replace it if the new pump comes with it.
8) Put it all back together in reverse order