looking for ground connector [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : looking for ground connector

AaronGTR
04-21-2012, 01:11 PM
Anyone have any idea where I can find one of these? It's the cap from one of the ground pack connectors on the engine harness. There are like three of them in the engine bay and two of them go on the main bolts that hold the engine and trans together.

There are two of those bolts with studs on the heads that the ground packs go on, and one of them is right behind the front tranny mount and is impossible to get any kind of wrench or socket on without first removing the top half of the mount. Well, my mount was in there kind of tight and I had to pry it out and somehow it pushed up against my ground pack and pulled the cap out of the socket on the harness. Bent the teeth all over and I tried straightening one out but the metal is too brittle and it broke off. I need to find a new one before I can finish putting the engine back in, and obviously all the grounds need to be hooked up right or it won't run properly.

http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p23/AaronGTR/misc21/DSCN6131.jpg

http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p23/AaronGTR/misc21/DSCN6132.jpg

Malaclypse
04-21-2012, 04:14 PM
First source would be the dealership... though those are tough to find in the catalog and it'll cost you a pretty penny.

Second would be to hit up a pick and pull to snip one from an engine harness. Similar ground splice packs can be found on alot of GM vehicles. All 3100/3400/3800 on the bellhousing. Also underneath the driver's headlamp on 2003 - 2007 Saturn Vues and many others. However you can't be sure if those splice pack combs are in any better shape than yours.

Third option which I would reccomend would be to buy a good pair of crimpers and re-wire those grounds with new ring terminals. Then install them on the transmission. You can strip back some extra wire and put three small grounds to a large ring terminal to make life easier.

As long as you get a solid ground the change won't hurt anything. Actually it'd be benefical in my opinion.

gilzgrandam00
04-21-2012, 08:17 PM
Hey i could ask my boy if he could find one cause he works at a dealer and he get price cut let me know and ill talk to him bout it

AaronGTR
04-21-2012, 08:36 PM
Yeah, I was kind of afraid I might have to go to the dealership to find one. My dad also works at a Chevy dealer and he is going to look into it for me on Monday. Worst comes to worst I may try the pick-a-part junkyard like Scott mentioned, if I can find one close by and if I can get a ride. Otherwise I may have to go the route of the other idea of grouping them and crimping into ring terminals. I know it would work... I really just don't want to go to that much work and have a hacked up looking harness if I can help it. I'd like to keep it clean looking if I can.

I just wish GM hadn't put it in such a stupid, hard place to get too. Why did they have to put it right behind the mount?! lol It is such a PITA to even get to that bolt to begin with, and it's 10x harder with it being a stud bolt with wires on the end. It would have been nice if they had designed the mount so you could get a socket and extension behind it, and used a normal hex head bolt back there. They could have put the stud bolt up one position on the bell housing. The harness will reach it, and I actually wanted to move it there, but the stud bolt it just a little too long to get in that hole with the way the trans case is cast on the other side. Maybe if the stud was cut a little shorter.

plastic_indian
04-21-2012, 11:23 PM
At this point, I would assume you are certainly not concerned with maintaining a factory-stock appearance...

Therefore, why not take advantage of the situation as a reason to relocate the ground? A person of your abilities should have no problem improving the setup. If nothing else, acquire a weatherpack connector body of the appropriate cavity count, cut off the other connector, crimp terminals to the leads, and build a matching extension harness to the nearest convenient ground point; with solder splices and encased in black heat shrink, it would certainly look as good as (and in some cases, better than) factory wiring.

AaronGTR
04-22-2012, 07:29 AM
I don't have that kind of time. I need to get it fixed and back on the road.

AaronGTR
04-23-2012, 08:31 PM
Well, I found several at a pick and pull junkyard today. There were lots of n-bodies and other GM cars there to choose from. lol I brought a couple home so I'd have extras, along with a few extra relays for spares. Car's running again and brought it home tonight.

unchained_01
04-24-2012, 11:02 AM
Awesome !!! Gald to hear some good news from you

Malaclypse
04-24-2012, 07:29 PM
Good deal man. I saw one of those connectors when working on a car today and thought of this post.