Clicking noise with coolant leak [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Clicking noise with coolant leak

FutureDC_FLY_GT
04-27-2012, 09:16 PM
I am driving home today & a clicking sound starts up from behind my dashboard, louder than the turn signals & intermittent. I was home 5 mins. later & popped the hood. I am missing 1 clamps on a coolant reservoir hose (small one) leading to a loss of pressure & coolant leaking. Any ideas on this clicking noise, could it be due to a loss of coolant or system pressure? Thanks!

UndeadGods
04-27-2012, 10:05 PM
Does it sound like the signal clicking?

If not, it could be the trapped air in your coolant. Happened to me, heard REALLY loud thumping noises

Also, did you actually loose coolant?

FutureDC_FLY_GT
04-27-2012, 11:15 PM
Yes it did sound like signal clicking. I tried both sides and it sounded more like the pax side or possibly middle, but a different noise than the hazard switch.

I did not hear any thumping noises, but I did see coolant after I popped the hood pooling underneath my reservoir tank & it did smell strongly of coolant.

I plan to refill the coolant and put a temporary clamp, if there is not damage to the hose, at least to get me to somewhere I can get the system pressure checked, etc.

UndeadGods
04-28-2012, 06:37 PM
What caused the coolant leak, did the clamp break? Is the hose in-tacked?
Top up your coolant in the meanwhile.

I'm pretty sure that those two problems are not connected.

Check this out
http://www.grandamgt.com/forum/showthread.php?t=50126

I test drove a GA that had that annoying random clicking sound, the blinkers worked PERFECTLY, and were not on when the clicking sound was coming on at random times.

The post explains how to fix it, if thats what it is.

FutureDC_FLY_GT
04-30-2012, 11:49 AM
Not sure what caused the leak, but clamps on my 3/8' hoses had corrosion build up. I installed a new reservoir and new clamps on all the hoses.

I was out of coolant but the low coolant light never came on in my dash. Could a blown fuse or damaged coolant sensor be causing the clicking?

I filled up on 50/50 coolant and drove about 5 miles. Engine temp. was rising above 200. I stopped and under the hood there was no coolant leaking but it smelled like burnt coolant and my engine was making a pinging noise.

It kind of reminds me of a noise that my old FORD made when the water pump failed - loose ball bearings pinning type noise, except that this noise seems to be coming from my engine and it does not seem to be as intense of a pinning noise. I wonder if my coolant is getting circulated.

The clicking noise is continuing intermittently. I will give the multi function switch a shot eventually but I am not eager to be messing with the spring loaded horn pin. I also saw some posts about the hazard relay switch. Anyway thanks again.

HOYS
04-30-2012, 06:15 PM
Did you bleed the cooling system?

UndeadGods
04-30-2012, 08:07 PM
Not sure what caused the leak, but clamps on my 3/8' hoses had corrosion build up. I installed a new reservoir and new clamps on all the hoses.

I was out of coolant but the low coolant light never came on in my dash. Could a blown fuse or damaged coolant sensor be causing the clicking?

I filled up on 50/50 coolant and drove about 5 miles. Engine temp. was rising above 200. I stopped and under the hood there was no coolant leaking but it smelled like burnt coolant and my engine was making a pinging noise.

It kind of reminds me of a noise that my old FORD made when the water pump failed - loose ball bearings pinning type noise, except that this noise seems to be coming from my engine and it does not seem to be as intense of a pinning noise. I wonder if my coolant is getting circulated.

The clicking noise is continuing intermittently. I will give the multi function switch a shot eventually but I am not eager to be messing with the spring loaded horn pin. I also saw some posts about the hazard relay switch. Anyway thanks again.

When my car leaked massing coolant and I topped it up but it kept overheating. Are you sure that you didnt blow a head?
The thing that fixed my problem was bleeding the system, I heard really loud bangs coming from my radiator cuz of air bubbles.

It's good that you replaced the clamps and the reservoir. Did you replace the cap as well tho? They go bad over time.

As for smelling like burnt coolant, it might be because it leaked all over your engine, and is being burnt off now?

Your thermostat might not be opening. Try changing it? It's only 15-20$

FutureDC_FLY_GT
05-02-2012, 07:04 AM
I did not bleed the system as the coolant reservoir was bone dry the next day after I had the leak. It must have been at least low as I dont think I leaked it all out in one sitting.

I did replace the entire reservoir including cap. I am not noticing the burnt coolant smell anymore so I suppose I burnt off whatever was leaked there, and the level seems to be holding.

I am not sure if I blew a head but I can see how air would have gotten into the system. Still having the pinging noise from the engine after I turn the car off, but it is intermittent. I am ignoring the clicking noise for now since it is random anyway.

I read online some tips on checking the head that I will try to do so myself but I am open to suggestions. If the thermostat if was not opening would I be able to tell after driving only 5 miles, or do you think I would need to drive 20-30 miles before it would over heat? I guess that depends if it is a partially functioning (if there is such a thing) or totally failed thermostat.

Thanks again for the information.

UndeadGods
05-02-2012, 09:11 AM
I'm not sure how fast it would overheat, I drove mine for 20 minutes around the parkig lot and it was fine, then i drove off on the road n bam it overheated in an instant.
Easiest solution would be to bleed it out.
Then test drive it, that should fix your engine noise.
If you are still havin problems then change your thermostat, even if its not completely gone, its still a good idea to change it once in a while.
I'm still convinced that the (clicking?) noise is from what i posted above, but without hearing it theres no way of telling.

FutureDC_FLY_GT
05-04-2012, 05:33 PM
Good news I went on a 12 mile ride and no coolant leak. I could probably use a new thermostat, but it did not over heat. It is running rough though, sounds extra growly, and has not been wanting to start right up since yesterday.

I was told my coil terminals were corroded when I had some work done before and they wanted to remove & replace my alternator assembly because of a noisey alternator. I have never done either one of those jobs myself though before. Thanks again for the info!

FutureDC_FLY_GT
05-05-2012, 08:11 PM
I cleaned the coil terminals today and battery terminals. Look at how bad my coils were before I cleaned them..Its running better but that is the least of my problems.

Wispy white smoke from behind the engine, smells like burnt coolant. I am pretty sure I have a bad head and intake manifold gasket.

I had this same problem several years ago and this makes me feel like ;crap and :taz: and that this is some major :rx7: . Should I need to have this done every 4 or 5 years, does that sound right?

I read the how to on changing the LIM and head but I do not have free time, mechanical expertise, tools, nor patience to do the job. I have mid term exams this week and my school is about a 5 mile drive that I am mostly highway for.

Is it dangerous for me to drive it like as far as possibly starting a fire or is there anything I can do or add to prevent worsening of the condition? 5 years ago when it happened I over heated and needed a tow but I don't remember having the starting problems or the pinning noise from the engine.

Do you think it would be better if I opt for an engine swap and how much do you think it would cost? Ah this reallly makes me :rage: but I want to get it taken care of. I will try to post up some video so y'all can see exactly what I am talking about.

UndeadGods
05-06-2012, 07:37 AM
I cleaned the coil terminals today and battery terminals. Look at how bad my coils were before I cleaned them..Its running better but that is the least of my problems.

Wispy white smoke from behind the engine, smells like burnt coolant. I am pretty sure I have a bad head and intake manifold gasket.

I had this same problem several years ago and this makes me feel like ;crap and :taz: and that this is some major :rx7: . Should I need to have this done every 4 or 5 years, does that sound right?

I read the how to on changing the LIM and head but I do not have free time, mechanical expertise, tools, nor patience to do the job. I have mid term exams this week and my school is about a 5 mile drive that I am mostly highway for.

Is it dangerous for me to drive it like as far as possibly starting a fire or is there anything I can do or add to prevent worsening of the condition? 5 years ago when it happened I over heated and needed a tow but I don't remember having the starting problems or the pinning noise from the engine.

Do you think it would be better if I opt for an engine swap and how much do you think it would cost? Ah this reallly makes me :rage: but I want to get it taken care of. I will try to post up some video so y'all can see exactly what I am talking about.

Replacing a headgaskit/LIM would be pretty expensive if a shop does it.
But then again, so would an engine swap.

It wont burst into flames, it'll just burn your coolant, so keep adding it, but it'll damage your engine eventually

FutureDC_FLY_GT
05-06-2012, 08:16 AM
Nice ok thats good thanks for the info. Undead. Thanks again for your input. I got some videos uploaded finally.

This is one for with my alternator before I cleaned my coil terminals :

http://youtu.be/lBsnttlSvJ0

Here is one with my engine knocking after I stopped driving, this was before I cleaned the terminals:

I am not sure if this noise indicates engine damage...

Here is the alternator after I cleaned the coil terminals, it seems to be hissing:

http://youtu.be/ZaZzFbqwkr8

And the gem of them all here is the video I shot after driving for about 5 mins maybe 1/4 mile up the hill down the street, post coil clean:

http://youtu.be/ijFENA6kxGk

What do you think of the smoke and all??

UndeadGods
05-07-2012, 04:28 AM
Nice ok thats good thanks for the info. Undead. Thanks again for your input. I got some videos uploaded finally.

This is one for with my alternator before I cleaned my coil terminals :

Here is one with my engine knocking after I stopped driving, this was before I cleaned the terminals:

I am not sure if this noise indicates engine damage...

Here is the alternator after I cleaned the coil terminals, it seems to be hissing:

http://youtu.be/ZaZzFbqwkr8

And the gem of them all here is the video I shot after driving for about 5 mins maybe 1/4 mile up the hill down the street, post coil clean:

http://youtu.be/ijFENA6kxGk

What do you think of the smoke and all??

Lmao "Da fuuck?"
Uhm, my silver GAGT leaks smoke from what appears to be exhaust manifold, it's most likely cuz my cat is fuuuucked.
Did you try to locate the exact spot where the smoke is coming from?

As for your alternator, could it be the belt or one of the pulleys/tensioner?

FutureDC_FLY_GT
05-07-2012, 04:46 PM
I have to take a good look at the belt. Glad you got a chuckle out of that video! The car did not smoke today but it was starting to over heat when I got home. I am not sure exactly where that smoke was coming from but I am keeping an eye on all of my fluids and so far so good.

I had some belt work done before, but at the time it was making a loud squeal on start up or other symptoms like squeal upon acceleration. Here check out some history:

11/06 - 87k mi. - Serpentine belt/tensioner, CSB(?) & water pump

9/07 - 94k mi. - Upper/lower intake manifold gaskets

5/10 - 111,500 mi - Engine CPBG (?), serp. belt/tensioner-
recommended rack & pinion, p/s pump & intake & valve cover gaskets (?!? again)
I am never low on p/s fluid and it always turned smooth. It's just seems like the reservoir is seeping but that is nothing new...

10/10 -113k mi. Harmonic Bal. replaced + removed/replaced crankshaft pulley recommend Alternator but I never had any problems starting before then but eventually I did have the plugs & wires replaced & had no other problems starting or overheating until just the last week. Currently I am up to 120k mi. & hope to take it into a shop this week but I want to try and do some pressure testing first.

UndeadGods
05-09-2012, 04:29 PM
I'd replace/rebuild the alternator just in case, I'd rip mine off and let you put it on to see if it fixes the problem but you live too far =/ haha

Is your coolant level still good? Did you put 100% or 50/50?
I would def try to bleed the system, my car had over heating problems when there were air bubbled in the system.