Does this look like a blown head gasket? [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Does this look like a blown head gasket?

surfermatt95
04-28-2012, 01:58 AM
hey, im new here and im 16 currently working at wendys so i do not have enough for a mechanic or their pricey hours so i took apart my car ( if you dont want to read just look at pics ) i got the car for free, it overheated fast wouldnt go over 40 , very slow acceleration and would rock back an forth at 3 1/5 -4 rpms i could floor it and engine would rev higher but the speed wouldnt do much so lots of reduced power , so i tinked around , replaced fuel pump motor,fuel filter complete tuneup oil,trans oil, pcv, battery,sparkplugs,spark wires,flushed radiator,air filter and had problems with coolant disappearing fast like next day be completely empty with no stains on ground, went into engine down to the lim and followed that very helpful guide and where the water circulates was clogged completely with what look like brown sugar, dirt,and oil i cleared it out, replaced the gaskets and put back together... the car now started spitting water and i checked the cap.. yep residue not much but enough to know, the front left side of engine was was smoking a tiny bit from under heat manifold so i couldnt see where and today i ripped it apart and took the front head off and it didnt look good, there was water ontop the pistons but i think when i took head off the water spilled there and tomorrow i will do the back and see

HOYS
04-28-2012, 09:34 AM
Yep.

surfermatt95
04-28-2012, 12:04 PM
Thanks, i just took off the second one, its not blown but theres definitely a leak on all three cylinders

AaronGTR
04-28-2012, 08:56 PM
Yeah, those gaskets are shot. I know you said you don't have a lot of cash for a mechanic etc, but from what you said of the coolant passages being blocked and everything else... there is a good chance that engine may have been overheated. The heads could be warped and if you put them back on they might still leak. You should find an engine/machine shop you can take the heads to and have them check them with a straight edge and see if they are flat. Otherwise you'll just be wasting money on new gaskets/coolant.

It shouldn't cost much just to have them check the heads to make sure they'll seal. If they are good, you can put them back on. If not you should get them fixed, and you'll still save some money by putting the engine back together yourself.

surfermatt95
05-02-2012, 08:38 PM
i checked it myself with a straight edge, seemed pretty good, so i cleaned the tops of pistons best i could til they werent black and the carbon came off easy, the guy at autozone over torqued the torque wrench , i shouldve checked but he assured me, i ended up snapping a bolt off into the head, i was really pissed , took off the exhaust manifold again which was a pain to take off and on and luckily the bolt snapped half an inch above the block! and it came loose very easy, so i put new bolts on.. i believe 33 ft/lb plus 30 degrees? its either 30 degrees or 90 im pretty sure the 90 degrees was the rocker arms, anyways i did that let the engine sit like that for a day and went back to tighten a tiny tiny bit more to be safe and put it all together, i just need to get a fuel regulator (snapped mine off while taking it apart) and thats all that is waiting til i can see how my gasket skills are :P

Nick-G
05-02-2012, 09:25 PM
i checked it myself with a straight edge, seemed pretty good,

They are either flat or they are not. Do you have a manual for torque specifications etc?

so i cleaned the tops of pistons best i could til they werent black and the carbon came off easy,

Nothing wrong with cleaning them but it isn't necessary. What are you using the clean the mating surfaces before putting the gaskets in?

the guy at autozone over torqued the torque wrench , i shouldve checked but he assured me, i ended up snapping a bolt off into the head, i was really pissed , took off the exhaust manifold again which was a pain to take off and on and luckily the bolt snapped half an inch above the block! and it came loose very easy, so i put new bolts on.. i believe 33 ft/lb plus 30 degrees? its either 30 degrees or 90 im pretty sure the 90 degrees was the rocker arms, anyways i did that let the engine sit like that for a day and went back to tighten a tiny tiny bit more to be safe and put it all together, i just need to get a fuel regulator (snapped mine off while taking it apart) and thats all that is waiting til i can see how my gasket skills are :P

This part confuses me. What do you mean when you say the guy at autozone over torqued the wrench? And which bolt did you snap?

02GT_SkyHigh
05-03-2012, 03:01 PM
Hey just an FYI, I had a major problem with the Cat converter after I replaced my leaking head-gaskets. the coolant that leaks into the cylinder, goes out the exhaust as hot steam and hits your cat melting the honeycomb shape. Like i said, may not be necessary but just a heads up. good luck with the build. Most shops can resurface the heads for you for around $30.

http://www.grandamgt.com/forum/showthread.php?t=84608

surfermatt95
05-03-2012, 03:40 PM
They are either flat or they are not. Do you have a manual for torque specifications etc?

autozone gave me some numbers and i verified it online

Nothing wrong with cleaning them but it isn't necessary. What are you using the clean the mating surfaces before putting the gaskets in?

This part confuses me. What do you mean when you say the guy at autozone over torqued the wrench? And which bolt did you snap?
autozone gave me some numbers and i verified it online

i used... fuel stabilizer *it cleaned it shiny*

he set the setting too high and i didnt check it, and the third bolt from the right on the head closest to the hood but on the rear side of it.

surfermatt95
05-03-2012, 03:41 PM
Hey just an FYI, I had a major problem with the Cat converter after I replaced my leaking head-gaskets. the coolant that leaks into the cylinder, goes out the exhaust as hot steam and hits your cat melting the honeycomb shape. Like i said, may not be necessary but just a heads up. good luck with the build. Most shops can resurface the heads for you for around $30.

http://www.grandamgt.com/forum/showthread.php?t=84608

what was the symptoms the cat gave you?

surfermatt95
05-03-2012, 03:43 PM
alright drove it today... no more symptoms of head gasket but still its making a weird muffled noise like "vruh vruh vruh vruh" and got codes pulled, it said maf so i cleaned it , and still i have no clue whats wrong with it, the temp stays about 201 -202 and i dont have a resinator on it either the dude cut it off thinking it was the cat

surfermatt95
05-03-2012, 03:47 PM
but it doesnt accelerate fast... the engine rpms will raise right but the cars speed wont
like the transmisson is bad or something , not sure the engines at 133k and i just replaced fluid on tranny and there wasnt a whole lot of metal on the magnet

02GT_SkyHigh
05-03-2012, 04:48 PM
but it doesnt accelerate fast... the engine rpms will raise right but the cars speed wont
like the transmisson is bad or something , not sure the engines at 133k and i just replaced fluid on tranny and there wasnt a whole lot of metal on the magnet

Im almost positive it is the cat. like 99%. In the first video on that thread I posted, I was at WOT! I had to have the car at almost full throttle to make it up a 6% grade at 55-60mph.....

Edit: When I pulled my old cat off, I wanted to see if it was plugged or restricting flow, so I filled it with water and it was barely trickling out the bottom!

surfermatt95
05-03-2012, 09:45 PM
Im almost positive it is the cat. like 99%. In the first video on that thread I posted, I was at WOT! I had to have the car at almost full throttle to make it up a 6% grade at 55-60mph.....

Edit: When I pulled my old cat off, I wanted to see if it was plugged or restricting flow, so I filled it with water and it was barely trickling out the bottom!

but would that make the engine sound like its missing out? rocking back and forth? im guessing its my ign coil .. the codes got pulled and maf was on there

surfermatt95
05-03-2012, 09:52 PM
my car wont even accelerate that fast, ill have to make a vid

Nick-G
05-03-2012, 11:33 PM
I would have to agree with the others it does sound like a clogged cat.

surfermatt95
05-04-2012, 12:20 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QeC8YT4zJNk

sounds like my car, when u give it has it surges and wont do anything, what do you know, same engine too

surfermatt95
05-04-2012, 03:28 PM
alright theres a video of my car, the camera will be right side up about a minute into the video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nHWEqCi9PcI

slw240sx
05-04-2012, 05:04 PM
but would that make the engine sound like its missing out? rocking back and forth? im guessing its my ign coil .. the codes got pulled and maf was on there

yes, it can cause all of that, and more. clogged cat can severly damage a engine including causing it to blow a head gasket or worse damage rings

surfermatt95
05-04-2012, 08:10 PM
that may be why my head gasket leaked

02GT_SkyHigh
05-06-2012, 11:26 AM
Heres what I got...Totally fixed the problem. Even better than it was before...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-5-Magnaflow-Universal-Catalytic-Cat-Converter-94106-New-Same-Day-Shipping-/110825544759?hash=item19cdb79c37&item=110825544759&pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr

The sound your motor is making is the same sound that mine made.
No the headgasket may have just been worn out. the problem is when it goes bad, the coolant leaks into the cylinder, then goes out the exhaust as steam. This moisture totally beats up the 'honeycomb' inside the cat. Mine looked like someone took a torch to the inlet side. it was all melted pretty bad. I had this SAME problem your having for a while after I did new head-gaskets. I tried new injectors, swapping coil packs, changed the fuel filter. then the new Cat fixed it...

AaronGTR
05-06-2012, 11:33 AM
Yeah, if I was you I'd just get that cat replaced ASAP.

surfermatt95
05-06-2012, 12:01 PM
Yeah, if I was you I'd just get that cat replaced ASAP.

i just rammed a small pole into the cat.. through the open pipe to the other end for a little vent... test drove it... i did not know this car had so much power and i havent even unclogged it all the way :D

surfermatt95
05-06-2012, 12:18 PM
Heres what I got...Totally fixed the problem. Even better than it was before...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-5-Magnaflow-Universal-Catalytic-Cat-Converter-94106-New-Same-Day-Shipping-/110825544759?hash=item19cdb79c37&item=110825544759&pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr

The sound your motor is making is the same sound that mine made.
No the headgasket may have just been worn out. the problem is when it goes bad, the coolant leaks into the cylinder, then goes out the exhaust as steam. This moisture totally beats up the 'honeycomb' inside the cat. Mine looked like someone took a torch to the inlet side. it was all melted pretty bad. I had this SAME problem your having for a while after I did new head-gaskets. I tried new injectors, swapping coil packs, changed the fuel filter. then the new Cat fixed it...

how did the sound from this sound?
mean?
and where do i put my o2 sensor?

02GT_SkyHigh
05-06-2012, 12:37 PM
It actually gave it a little more of a throaty sound. I had already had a Magnaflow muffler on for a while too. I didn't get the high flow cause of California CARB emissions. I was still surprised. I would call it a good 'stock' upgrade cause it was evident how much power I had gotten back.
There is a O2 sensor right after your cat and there is one in the back of the motor in the exhaust manifold. Should be a direct fit. Any shop will weld it in for $60-$80.

surfermatt95
05-06-2012, 02:31 PM
It actually gave it a little more of a throaty sound. I had already had a Magnaflow muffler on for a while too. I didn't get the high flow cause of California CARB emissions. I was still surprised. I would call it a good 'stock' upgrade cause it was evident how much power I had gotten back.
There is a O2 sensor right after your cat and there is one in the back of the motor in the exhaust manifold. Should be a direct fit. Any shop will weld it in for $60-$80.

The one on the cat is 3 inches from where the dude cut it.. my quad exhaust is basically for looks, he cut the resonator off so my cat hangs down above 3 inches from the ground at a slant , so basically what do you think i should do , just unbolt the exhaust pipe from rear head and buy new cat with pipe and only have to weld it to the rest of exhaust or just get a new cat and weld in 3 places places? weld the cat onto the pipe from engine.. weld the cat to the resonator and weld the resonator to the rear pipes

surfermatt95
05-06-2012, 08:45 PM
i also think i want to rip this engine and tranny and axle and trade for a gtp2 series engine 3.8 plus a new axle and tranny for that engine

AaronGTR
05-06-2012, 10:08 PM
i also think i want to rip this engine and tranny and axle and trade for a gtp2 series engine 3.8 plus a new axle and tranny for that engine

No, you don't. It's not cheap, or easy, or that fast for that matter. It's not a direct swap.

surfermatt95
05-06-2012, 10:54 PM
No, you don't. It's not cheap, or easy, or that fast for that matter. It's not a direct swap.

yeah second thought id have to redo fuel lines,pump , computer.. ,hey what do you think i should do since the other guy hasnt answered... just get a straightup cat or buy one with pipe connected? i wont have to cut anything because the guy cut the resonator off as i stated before i will just have to get it welded

boost21
05-07-2012, 12:53 AM
I noticed that your SES light is flashing in the video, that indicates a strong misfire

slw240sx
05-07-2012, 09:59 AM
i just rammed a small pole into the cat.. through the open pipe to the other end for a little vent... test drove it... i did not know this car had so much power and i havent even unclogged it all the way :D

you know that was a mistake. lol you can cut them off an sell them for 70-100$ to a cat recyclers... that can be used toward picking up a new downpipe or cat.

I know magnaflow makes one, its not the best produt but its fairly reasonably priced. also Milzy's downpipes are nice cat or no cat. I make those so i know first hand of their quality lol you can also always find that small hole in the wall shop that will cut it off and straight pipe it for 50 bucks. or goto autozone and get a universal cat for 50-70 bucks and have same hole in the wall shop weld it on for 40-50 bucks.

surfermatt95
05-07-2012, 11:27 AM
I noticed that your SES light is flashing in the video, that indicates a strong misfire

yes that was while the cat was plugged, it wont do it anymore since i unplugged it.. it only does that when it gets up to 4000 rpms

surfermatt95
05-07-2012, 11:27 AM
you know that was a mistake. lol you can cut them off an sell them for 70-100$ to a cat recyclers... that can be used toward picking up a new downpipe or cat.

I know magnaflow makes one, its not the best produt but its fairly reasonably priced. also Milzy's downpipes are nice cat or no cat. I make those so i know first hand of their quality lol you can also always find that small hole in the wall shop that will cut it off and straight pipe it for 50 bucks. or goto autozone and get a universal cat for 50-70 bucks and have same hole in the wall shop weld it on for 40-50 bucks.

hey it was a small pole... :P ill still see if i can get at least 50

AaronGTR
05-07-2012, 07:40 PM
I would just get a universal high flow cat from magnaflow... 2.25" diameter inlet/outlet if you have all stock piping... and have a muffler shop weld it in place of the stock one. It will be a little shorter than the stock cat so they will probably have to weld a short extension pipe on it anyway, and they can weld an O2 bung on the back for the stock rear O2 sensor. Should be pretty cheap, effective, and it should solve your misfire and power problems.

surfermatt95
05-07-2012, 11:43 PM
I would just get a universal high flow cat from magnaflow... 2.25" diameter inlet/outlet if you have all stock piping... and have a muffler shop weld it in place of the stock one. It will be a little shorter than the stock cat so they will probably have to weld a short extension pipe on it anyway, and they can weld an O2 bung on the back for the stock rear O2 sensor. Should be pretty cheap, effective, and it should solve your misfire and power problems.

Ill look into that, how long should this gagt last me? its at 133 now and im taking good care of it and plan on taking great care of it for as long as i have it, not interested in drag racing or racing too much .. but who knows .. but anyways what should i expect?

locoman99
05-08-2012, 12:07 AM
Ill look into that, how long should this gagt last me? its at 133 now and im taking good care of it and plan on taking great care of it for as long as i have it, not interested in drag racing or racing too much .. but who knows .. but anyways what should i expect?

it will last until you stop fixing it....lol

surfermatt95
05-08-2012, 12:56 PM
it will last until you stop fixing it....lol

haha, i dont know when that will be.. ive got big big plans for this car,
i am wanting to pretty much make it look like this

GrandAmMe
05-08-2012, 01:11 PM
Looks like I'm not the youngest memeber here anymore ;crap

Anyways, once you get it running fine and all that good stuff I would invest in cleaning the interior and exterior up pretty good.

My brother's GAGT was a mess when we picked it up. See my cleanup thread for pics and such.

I'd definately clay bar the exterior and follow it up with a good wax/polish. Makes the car look a lot better. Since you live in florida it will help protect the paint...if its not already sun damaged.

surfermatt95
05-08-2012, 02:58 PM

surfermatt95
05-08-2012, 03:03 PM
Looks like I'm not the youngest memeber here anymore ;crap

Anyways, once you get it running fine and all that good stuff I would invest in cleaning the interior and exterior up pretty good.

My brother's GAGT was a mess when we picked it up. See my cleanup thread for pics and such.

I'd definately clay bar the exterior and follow it up with a good wax/polish. Makes the car look a lot better. Since you live in florida it will help protect the paint...if its not already sun damaged.

it is , its coming off a bit and the spoiler and side views plastics arent smooth anymore, im getting ready to do a paint job , a friend owns a business , the dash is peeling too, already broke the defroster, im trying to find pictures but im pretty much failing :( and im the new youngeon eh?

AaronGTR
05-08-2012, 05:33 PM
Yeah, the sun does a lot of damage here in FL. Especially since most people don't take good care of their paint.

surfermatt95
05-08-2012, 09:11 PM
Yeah, the sun does a lot of damage here in FL. Especially since most people don't take good care of their paint.

when i get it repainted do i add anything special?

AaronGTR
05-08-2012, 11:02 PM
when i get it repainted do i add anything special?

What do you mean add anything special? To the paint?

No, there is nothing you can add to the paint. If you want it to last longer you just have to wash it and wax it on a regular basis. That's the secret. How many people do you know that wax their cars, even if it's a brand new car? Most people are too lazy. That's why I hate buying anything used. No one else takes care of their sh!t. lol

surfermatt95
05-09-2012, 02:24 AM
What do you mean add anything special? To the paint?

No, there is nothing you can add to the paint. If you want it to last longer you just have to wash it and wax it on a regular basis. That's the secret. How many people do you know that wax their cars, even if it's a brand new car? Most people are too lazy. That's why I hate buying anything used. No one else takes care of their sh!t. lol

Thats true, its why im afraid to put money into this car.. the owner before didnt take care of it i got it for free so you know money i put into it wont be wasted but i found vodka bottles under seat, he broke the side view off into a red car while drunk so i got a tiny red skid mark on the grand am gt sign on right door and it took the lettering off and mirror, the tire was in trunk with donut on

heres the story , i live near wells fargo and everyday i saw this car in the same spot with no tags.. eventually there was a pink note on window i went up to it the note said car will be towed in ten days if not moved i nosed around inside with a paper with name and number i called it and the guy owed this bank at least 500 and they had the title and he couldnt sell car without it, he included the car in bankruptcy and the title still wasnt released and so he ditched car there and he said i can have it , we did power of attorney etcc and i pushed the car home since it wouldnt start , did diagnosis , i replaced fuel pump motor for 19 dollars put tank on , the sending unit is bad X( so i have to go back and do that i did the uim and lim gasket , head gasket with new head bolts, new battery,new maf sensor , complete tuneup and did the tranny oil .. and this is where i am now getting ready to do the cat, not sure if i should sell this when done with cat and buy a newer one with less mileage and probably have to redo the uim and lim so many options! i wish i was 18 and i could get a better job with higher wage and hours! :/