Need help with subwoofer connecting to spare battery! [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Need help with subwoofer connecting to spare battery!

zak1206
04-29-2012, 08:20 AM
Ok guys I bought a new battery for about 30$ and I want to use it only for my subwoofer so it doesnt take battery power away from my car!
If you guys could help me with some info on how I can connect it to my sub and get it to where the battery can turn on and off when the car does cuz i dont want to run the battery down too fast
Thanks!

UndeadGods
04-29-2012, 09:43 AM
Why would you buy a second battery? The subs dont waste that much power, I have 1200Watt amp + 2 12" 1200Watt subs. N they run fine on my normal battery.

Where are you ganna put your new battery? In the trunk? If its a normal sulfuric battery, thats dumb n dangerous cuz the battery lets off sulfuric acid in the air, thats why its in the engine bay where it gets ventilated.

zak1206
04-29-2012, 10:29 AM
Yeah i was gonna put it in the trunk

afterdeath07
04-29-2012, 12:32 PM
Why would you buy a second battery? The subs dont waste that much power, I have 1200Watt amp + 2 12" 1200Watt subs. N they run fine on my normal battery.

Where are you ganna put your new battery? In the trunk? If its a normal sulfuric battery, thats dumb n dangerous cuz the battery lets off sulfuric acid in the air, thats why its in the engine bay where it gets ventilated.

lead acid batteries dont give off anything other than hydrogen gas when they are overcharge which will vent rather harmlessly to atmo, unless your trunk is extremely well sealed to hold lighter than air gasses. i work with apc ups on a daily basis. as long as the batt isnt over charged you could do it. dont see why a connection to the factory batt location wouldn't work fine has for me for years and thousands of miles. you would have to connect both batts in parallel as well so that they would both charge. make sure to get a battery box and bolt it down if you do go ahead with this as you dont want a battery sliding around and open in the trunk. they can spill and sometimes **** happens and they fail.

tipnitty
04-29-2012, 12:40 PM
You aren't running nearly enough power or large equipment to need a second battery. Return it.

afterdeath07
04-29-2012, 12:45 PM
if he can

tipnitty
04-29-2012, 02:31 PM
If its a $30 battery, its going to be crappy anyways.

UndeadGods
04-29-2012, 07:52 PM
It's too much work to hook it up, takes room in the trunk, you REALLY don't need it, it'll make your alternator work harder, if anything, get a capacitor?

dagenais
04-29-2012, 11:04 PM
Extra Battery is not a good choice for your set-up - Spend a little extra on a good capacitor and this will provide a better solution and will not tax your charging system... I good capacitor with also allow you to monitor your batery power when car is on and off