Passlock Bypass [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Passlock Bypass

nivek98
05-01-2012, 09:01 PM
I have been fighting the intermittent not starting for over 3 years now... Started doing it once every three months or so... escalating to once every week at least now. I have taken the starter out in the past and had it tested, and passed. Cleaned the wires connections on the starter and that worked for a year. Anyway, I finally bypassed the passlock system last night, by following the how to posted here. My question is... Should the Security light stay on after bypassing the system? If so, can I take the bulb out behind there?

Sounds like I might need to check for corrosion on the BCM connections if this doesn't help my initial problems of the car not starting. Where is the BCM located? I took the glove box out looking for it. I suppose it is under the steering wheel... I have a 2002 GAGT. I know a lot has been posted about this subject, any help is appreciated.

UndeadGods
05-02-2012, 09:02 AM
The easiest way to bypass it is by getting a remoteless starter

UndeadGods
05-02-2012, 05:28 PM
Also, try this?
http://www.bergerweb.net/PasslockFix/index.shtml

nivek98
05-10-2012, 04:33 PM
Thanks for the information... I went through the system and double checked my wiring with the resistors. I checked the connectors on the BCM and they looked perfect. I didn't get a resistance reading from the specified pins.

The security light is on still... at this point I don't know what else to check. The only way to start the car when the fault happens is to short the terminals on the starter with the key in the ON position.

My wife is getting stranded randomly at least twice a week... My last ditch effort for a quick fix will be to install a push button switch across the terminals of the starter either hidden in the engine compartment, or if I could find an easy way through the firewall I could put it inside the cab somewhere hidden. That way I don't have to save her every time by climbing under the car and jumping the starter with my screwdriver... which I don't expect her to ever have to do.

UndeadGods
05-10-2012, 08:16 PM
Hm.. Give this a chance?
30 Minute Learn Procedure
Tools Required: None

1. Turn ON the ignition, with the engine OFF.
2. Attempt to start the engine, then release the key to ON (vehicle will not start).
3. Observe the SECURITY telltale, after approximately 10 minutes the telltale will turn OFF.
4. Turn OFF the ignition, and wait 5 seconds .
5. Repeat steps 1 through 4, 2 more times for a total of 3 cycles/30 minutes. The vehicle is now ready to relearn the Passlock Sensor Data Code and/or passwords on the next ignition switch transition from OFF to CRANK. IMPORTANT: The vehicle learns the Passlock Sensor Data Code and/or password on the next ignition switch transition from OFF to CRANK. You must turn the ignition OFF before attempting to start the vehicle.
6. Start the engine. The vehicle has now learned the Passlock Sensor Data Code and/or password.
7. With a scan tool, clear any DTCs if needed. History DTCs will self clear after 100 ignition cycles.

nkatong
05-11-2012, 04:43 PM
http://www.bergerweb.net/PasslockFix/index.shtml is the easiest and the best solution for the passlock problem. I had it for two annoying years of my life and i finally had the chance to try and fix it. I highly recommend this tutorial. Thanks "Undeadgods" for the link.

nivek98
05-11-2012, 08:47 PM
Again... I went through and bypassed step by step. The Security light is always on now, and the car still won't start randomly. Checked the BCM connections and found no corrosion, or signs of water. Is there a relay that kicks on the starter solenoid? Any other ideas out there?

nivek98
05-11-2012, 08:50 PM
When the car won't start, there usually is no security light flashing, or staying on. the relearn process 10 minute, 30 minute, doesn't work. You can come back to the car the next day and it starts up right away. Only way to get the car to start is to short the terminals on the starter with the key in the ON position. I'm bout to undo the bypass to get the SECURITY light out of my face and install my "Emergency start switch" TM

UndeadGods
05-11-2012, 09:47 PM
Electrical work, not many people are very familiar with.. hmm... Its way to confusing =/

R u sure that your BCM is good?
The WEIRDEST thing is that you have to short the terminals on the starter with the key in the ON position. - that blows my mind, cuz if you can just short it, you SHOULD be able to start it with the key too.

nivek98
05-13-2012, 06:02 PM
How do I determine if the BCM is bad?

nivek98
05-14-2012, 09:02 PM
So... tonight I installed my push button switch under the hood from my starter terminals. The car wouldn't start the first time after wiring, and reconnecting the battery. So that was perfect for me to test... I put the key in ON and pushed my button the car started right up. I then Disconnected the battery again, and uninstalled the passlock bypass. Now my SECURITY light won't be on, and my wife won't have to climb under the car with a screwdriver to start her car.
Anyone know the best way to route the wires through the firewall so I can move the button to the interior?
Also if anyone has the same problem, and they want me make a kit for them I can. Message me for info.

UndeadGods
05-16-2012, 06:14 PM
So... tonight I installed my push button switch under the hood from my starter terminals. The car wouldn't start the first time after wiring, and reconnecting the battery. So that was perfect for me to test... I put the key in ON and pushed my button the car started right up. I then Disconnected the battery again, and uninstalled the passlock bypass. Now my SECURITY light won't be on, and my wife won't have to climb under the car with a screwdriver to start her car.
Anyone know the best way to route the wires through the firewall so I can move the button to the interior?
Also if anyone has the same problem, and they want me make a kit for them I can. Message me for info.

The same way that I ran my sub wire, from the battery go right, into the driver side fender, then go into the compartment where the wiper blade motor is, running it underneath it, it comes out through a hole by the passenger side fender right into the electrical bundle that has power locks/windows for the door. Run it above the glove box, behind the radio to wherever you want it to pop up.

Broncazonk
01-31-2014, 03:36 PM
I just bought my daughter a 2002 Grand Am GT that looks, runs and drives GREAT! Unfortunately, to my unhappy surprise, it also has the mysterious Passlock/security system starting glitch.

Here are the symptoms:

When the car starts, it starts smartly. There is no starter drag or hesitation in ignition. It has a new battery. All wiring and connections look good. (The engine compartment looks pristine.)

I do not have the remote entry locking keyset, just a pair of metal (non-chip) keys.

The door locking mechanism on the drivers side door does not function properly AND the appearance of this problem coincides with the fail to crank issue. Both metal keys fit the driver side door, and they unlocked it initially, but now the keys will not unlock the door. Also, the locking button on the inside of the door is now only partially functional.

When I put the key in the starter switch and turn it to Start, all of the instrumentation and telltales in the dashboard light up and the RPM, speed, temp and fuel needles peg to the right and return to zero. The fuel pump spools up, but the starter does not engage.

Also: The "Security" telltale light does not illuminate during or after start attempts.

I have read this: http://www.bergerweb.net/PasslockFix/

And this: http://www.bergerweb.net/grandamsecurityfix.htm

But I'm not certain that this will fix the issue. Because my daughter is so far away from me and I don't want her stranded, I want to install the Passlock bypass push start button.

Does anyone have thoughts, ideas, suggestions? And, is there a tutorial on wiring the bypass push start button?

Thanks!

Robert

Broncazonk
02-13-2014, 02:37 PM
Is the Passlock system the whole security system in the GT? That is, does the Passlock system apply to security issues beyond the key/starter switch security?

Does anyone know nivek98? I've been trying to reach him.

Thanks!

Robert

sleepyalero
02-13-2014, 02:41 PM
Nivek98 is probably long gone.