Odd electrical problem with 97 Grand Am GT 3.1... [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Odd electrical problem with 97 Grand Am GT 3.1...

b1ndm4n
05-04-2012, 06:09 PM
I have a 1997 Grand Am GT with a 3.1 engine that came out of a 2002 malibu..which is the same exact engine as i had in i before, and one day me and my buddy were getting some stuff out of the trunk and the car started to start it self so i ran and popped the hood and undid the battery because the key was already in the off position, so my first thought was "oh hey a bad ignition switch" so i went ahead and bought one and put it in, but no it was still starting itself, the next day i replaced what autozone called an ignition switch, which was some electrical connection thing on the left hand side of the steering wheel and that still diddnt fix the problem.
So i decided to replace he starter-Funny thing thing happend while replacing starter, i had a tester light and everything that was metal in engine bay was hot, fixed that tho- , which so far has fixed the car from starting itself but while the car is on, the solenoid will try to engage the starter every cupple seconds, so ireplaced the relay that it is connected to and that diddnt work either, i am currently looking through all of the wiring too see what could be wrong.
Any tips or anything at all really would be much appreciated, this car has been kicking my butt, help me kick its back :D

juanvan
05-08-2012, 01:19 PM
Something from your start Lead in the fuse box is shorting telling the car to start.
The fact the Block was Hot with power was not making the car start - But it was good you fixed it just the same.
It was giving start signal to the starter to start that was the problem.
B/c a starter is always hot at all times, the Red is hooked hooked to the starter nothing stopping that and it is grounded to the block being connected to the engine.
So Search out the starter pulse fuse in the box.