Engine noise/ sludge oil [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Engine noise/ sludge oil

jd99gagt
05-05-2012, 06:22 PM
Alright, like I mentioned in my coolant thread my oil was extremely milky/sludgy. I decided to change the oil, when I pulled the old filter off it was so jammed up with thick sludge that it wouldn't even pour any oil out the bottom. I'm hoping this was the problem instead of being a lim gasket. I drained all the crap out and added 4 qts. of Mobil 1 synthetic and a new filter, after running it with the clean oil it's 1/4 way contaminated with the yellow sludge crap that I drained and you can see in the valve covers, I've seen other cars with sludge in valve covers without dirty oil that were maintained and seemed to run good. I took it for about a 10 mile drive and everything was ok, the change oil light stayed off the service engine light stayed off that was on before but when I stopped and listened to the idle I noticed something like a knocking, sort of sounds similar to a diesel engine at idle but slightly fainter. What does that mean?

Starglow
05-05-2012, 07:20 PM
You are getting coolant in the oil and just changing the oil & filter isn't going to fix that. Based on your description, I would not drive the car any further until repairs are made otherwise you risk major engine damage. Running a coolant/oil mix means sudden death for critical engine parts if you keep running it that way. Just because the dash lights are off doesn't mean everything is ok. Take it to a mechanic for proper diagnosis.

Good luck....

jd99gagt
05-05-2012, 07:59 PM
Hopefully the engine isn't already done,it wasn't making noise on a cold start. I'm just gonna go for it. thanks a lot