[b]help!![/b] [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : [b]help!![/b]

diddyloveskitty
05-07-2012, 09:08 PM
;crap Okay, so heres my issue. Saturday morning my car was running fine. 2000 grand am gt. i went to the city with someone for the day. when i got home late saturday i went to go out. started my car...and it died. started it again thinking nothing...died again. I waited a bit and same thing. So since then nothing has changed. I am losing my mind. The car starts fine everytime. but dies within a few seconds..or if i hit the gas..it dies instantly.

Leading up to this happening..i hit a bump and my abs light, service vehicle soon, and traction off lights came on. but the car ran fine for a week after that happened. early friday i installed a new cd player..JVC, and the car ran fine all day friday and saturday morning.. it also rained for those two days. I have no idea. I found something about the passlock cutting the yellow wire, which i did. and its still the same thing...the fuel pump kicks everytime. i can hear it like normal...no other lights are on. any ideas to save me from taking it to get it on the computer?? please... im so frustrated..:attention

UndeadGods
05-08-2012, 05:24 AM
;crap Okay, so heres my issue. Saturday morning my car was running fine. 2000 grand am gt. i went to the city with someone for the day. when i got home late saturday i went to go out. started my car...and it died. started it again thinking nothing...died again. I waited a bit and same thing. So since then nothing has changed. I am losing my mind. The car starts fine everytime. but dies within a few seconds..or if i hit the gas..it dies instantly.

Leading up to this happening..i hit a bump and my abs light, service vehicle soon, and traction off lights came on. but the car ran fine for a week after that happened. early friday i installed a new cd player..JVC, and the car ran fine all day friday and saturday morning.. it also rained for those two days. I have no idea. I found something about the passlock cutting the yellow wire, which i did. and its still the same thing...the fuel pump kicks everytime. i can hear it like normal...no other lights are on. any ideas to save me from taking it to get it on the computer?? please... im so frustrated..:attention

ABS has nothing to do with it, nor would the radio, why would you try to bypass the security tho?
I'm pretty sure, but someone correct me on this, but the rain wouldn't affect it either.
Were you having issues with the security light beforehand?

I'm going to assume that your tank is full, or at lest there's enough fuel in it, it sounds like you are not getting the correct fuel/air mixture.
Did you try scanning it with an OBD2?

jawa
05-08-2012, 09:02 AM
Try the pass lock relearn, Turn the key to the on position for ten mins. And when the light sts blinking turn the key off and then try to start

chris_gt_74
05-08-2012, 09:59 AM
ABS has nothing to do with it, nor would the radio, why would you try to bypass the security tho?
I'm pretty sure, but someone correct me on this, but the rain wouldn't affect it either.
Were you having issues with the security light beforehand?

I'm going to assume that your tank is full, or at lest there's enough fuel in it, it sounds like you are not getting the correct fuel/air mixture.
Did you try scanning it with an OBD2?

I don't know man. My old 94 Grand Prix use to act up when it rained. It was the weirdest thing to because nothing was wet. I suspected at the time the moisture in the air and a fairly worn key. It had the old resistor exposed on the key. I bypassed it and never had a problem again. I don't know how the new keys function cause it's not as obvious as the old one's.

Your fuel pump will still prime if Passlock is tripped. Do as Jawa said and try the relearn. It may help.

diddyloveskitty
05-08-2012, 10:28 AM
Thanks guys I'll try the relearn and let ya know what happens. And yes its a near full tank. The reason I bypassed the security is all I could find online with this issue is stuff about the passlock and since I had unhooked the battery and put in the new cd player. I figure thats what it is...the car starts fine literally every time. It just dies right away, or if i touch the gas it dies. It is very annoying!!!

diddyloveskitty
05-08-2012, 10:48 AM
well I just did the relearn thing, i left the key to "ON" for ten minutes and the security light didnt blink....i dont think the key has the chip in it...could this be the issue?

UndeadGods
05-09-2012, 05:45 PM
I don't know man. My old 94 Grand Prix use to act up when it rained. It was the weirdest thing to because nothing was wet. I suspected at the time the moisture in the air and a fairly worn key. It had the old resistor exposed on the key. I bypassed it and never had a problem again. I don't know how the new keys function cause it's not as obvious as the old one's.

Your fuel pump will still prime if Passlock is tripped. Do as Jawa said and try the relearn. It may help.

You are right, I had a customers car start n then died right away, even if I gave it gas. GMs security system sucks big time!

Try these?
http://www.bergerweb.net/PasslockFix/index.shtml

http://www.grandamgt.com/forum/showthread.php?t=74971

UndeadGods
05-09-2012, 05:46 PM
well I just did the relearn thing, i left the key to "ON" for ten minutes and the security light didnt blink....i dont think the key has the chip in it...could this be the issue?

Was the security light on previously?

diddyloveskitty
05-10-2012, 05:46 PM
Okkk. Well i went to the shop and the guys there said its a security issue. Do the reset. And i hooked it up to a battery charger to keep it at full voltage. I did the reset as so

key to on without starting for 11 minutes, then to off for 30 seconds X 3.

then tried to start and it did the exact same thing :(

when i did the reset one thing i noticed was the light does not flash or go off at any time...even after the 11 minutes. i tried leaving on after for about 25 minutes and still the security light stays on...i am stumped here. i checked the fuel rail, and fuel is working fine. fuel pumped kicks on. everything seems normal. the car starts literally every single time, but as soon as it gets to full run..its shuts off. or if i even touch the gas pedal it dies instantly. any other ideas?

am i doing the reset wrong??

UndeadGods
05-10-2012, 08:01 PM
To do the rest the right way, just insert the key, turn it over on the on position, and don't touch anything, the security light will be on, after 10 mins the light will flash, n then turn off, then it's safe to turn on the car.
I had an issue when Id do the reset n then security would kick in again.

The BEST way to bypass it is to get a remote starter. It works like a charm!

You said that you alrdy tried to bypass the yellow wire?
What EXACTLY did you do to it?

diddyloveskitty
05-10-2012, 08:04 PM
I disconnected the battery...and then cut it. and reconnected the battery. didnt work. so i rewired the yellow wire..

UndeadGods
05-10-2012, 08:07 PM
You are not suppose to just cut the wire, that WONT solve the problem.
Didn't you read these? You need a resistor.

http://www.bergerweb.net/PasslockFix/index.shtml
http://www.grandamgt.com/forum/showthread.php?t=74971

But I'd suggest rewiring the yellow wire how it was before, and getting a remote starter installed.

diddyloveskitty
05-11-2012, 01:26 PM
Im lost. I have tried the reset thing over and over. And it still does the exact same thing. Fires up like normal. but dies after a few seconds. or if i touch the gas it dies instantly. looks like its going to the shop cause i cant figure it out. i dont get it. it was running fine. i parked it. went to the city with someone for the day came home. and its like this.

diddyloveskitty
05-11-2012, 02:22 PM
I also found a blown fuse, for the cooling fan. One thing to for the key reset it says the security light is supposed to blink...mine doesnt at all. i even waited 15 minutes and it still didnt blink..

diddyloveskitty
05-26-2012, 09:25 AM
So i got her in the shop. They couldnt figure it out. Everything read fine. Fuel pressure, everything. So they reprogrammed it. And shes back to normal. Thanks for all the help!