ABS + Trac off [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : ABS + Trac off

UndeadGods
05-09-2012, 05:55 AM
So about 2 days ago I started up my car (black GAGT) at 6am and when it started rolling the ABS, TRAC OFF n SERVICE VEHICLE SOON lights went off. I know that these are connected, and I'm no stranger to ABS going off on Grand Ams cuz my other GAGT (silver) pulls the same codes. Only thing is that my silvers ABS sensor became loose causing it to rub against the axel, damaging the wire.

Back to the black one, I turned off my car, went back in the house, about an hour later it was time to work so I started up my baby and drove off. Codes were gone. And it was so for the next couple of days, till last night.
Last night I was leaving my friends' house and bam, the lights were on. Drove it home fine, slammed on the brakes a few times just to test it out, but the pavement wasn't wet and the car handled it as it normally would.
This morning the codes were gone when I went to work.

So any ideas? I havent checked if the wires were loose/damaged yet, hopefully after work, but what else could cause this?
I heard that the wheel bearing(s) can cause this problem.

shiwnath
05-09-2012, 06:21 AM
You probably have a wheel speed sensor on the hub that's not functioning properly and is causing an "Excessive Wheel Speed Variation" code on one of your wheels.. Best thing to do is get it scanned. Where abouts in Canada are you?

UndeadGods
05-09-2012, 07:48 AM
Weirdly in kitchener like u

shiwnath
05-09-2012, 08:38 AM
Weirdly in kitchener like u

well let me know if you want to meet up sometime and I can scan it for ya.. I just bought an ABS scanner, might as well get some use out of it :D

UndeadGods
05-09-2012, 09:57 AM
well let me know if you want to meet up sometime and I can scan it for ya.. I just bought an ABS scanner, might as well get some use out of it :D

If u could that would be amazing. But what if the lights aren't on, would the reader still pull codes?

[ChaosweaveR]
05-09-2012, 10:03 AM
Just curious, your front rotors aren't warped, are they? I have seen warped rotors on our cars left alone long enough to mess with the wheel speed sensors.

shiwnath
05-09-2012, 10:04 AM
If u could that would be amazing. But what if the lights aren't on, would the reader still pull codes?

Yup.. I'm currently having the identical situation right now in my Alero.. The car stores the codes so even if there aren't any lights, the previous codes are still readable by a scanner.

UndeadGods
05-09-2012, 10:08 AM
;1177087']Just curious, your front rotors aren't warped, are they? I have seen warped rotors on our cars left alone long enough to mess with the wheel speed sensors.

I hope not, Just dropped in 2 new rotors in the front, machined back 2, plus ceramic pads.

UndeadGods
05-09-2012, 10:18 AM
Yup.. I'm currently having the identical situation right now in my Alero.. The car stores the codes so even if there aren't any lights, the previous codes are still readable by a scanner.

Ah okay. I'm kind of low on cash right now, but I get paid on friday!

shiwnath
05-09-2012, 10:24 AM
Ah okay. I'm kind of low on cash right now, but I get paid on friday!

Lol I'm offering to read em for free for ya, bud.

[ChaosweaveR]
05-09-2012, 10:53 AM
I hope not, Just dropped in 2 new rotors in the front, machined back 2, plus ceramic pads.

Were the old rotors warped?

UndeadGods
05-09-2012, 10:56 AM
Oh, I really appreciate it bro

[ChaosweaveR]
05-09-2012, 11:05 AM
Check the wiring and the plug behind both of the hub assemblies.

UndeadGods
05-09-2012, 12:11 PM
;1177094']Were the old rotors warped?

Not that I've noticed. Besides, the ABS didn't start screwing up till after I installed new rotors. I got them done a week ago, ABS started acting up a couple of days ago.
And I'll def check the wiering today or tomorrow.

[ChaosweaveR]
05-09-2012, 12:17 PM
The plug was probably loosened up.

shiwnath
05-09-2012, 01:01 PM
PM me whenever.. This week and next are a little chaotic for me though because I'm running around trying to get the hardware to install my headers and then i gotta get my upper wisdom teeth pulled on friday so i'll be a little drugged up from then on till next week lol.

UndeadGods
05-09-2012, 04:08 PM
PM me whenever.. This week and next are a little chaotic for me though because I'm running around trying to get the hardware to install my headers and then i gotta get my upper wisdom teeth pulled on friday so i'll be a little drugged up from then on till next week lol.

Well I'm no one to make demands, so whenever you have a lil spare time, whenever works for you, I'm down to meet you wherever.

;1177109']The plug was probably loosened up.

I checked loosely and everything seemed intact.

FuriousG
05-09-2012, 06:50 PM
My ABS, TRAC and SVS lights would come and go often when I had a bad wheel hub. Replaced both front hubs and cleared all the issues. Sounds like you might have the same problem.

Check the simple stuff first like you're doing but I suspect you'll need new wheel hubs.

UndeadGods
05-09-2012, 07:13 PM
My ABS, TRAC and SVS lights would come and go often when I had a bad wheel hub. Replaced both front hubs and cleared all the issues. Sounds like you might have the same problem.

Check the simple stuff first like you're doing but I suspect you'll need new wheel hubs.

Thats what I was afraid of =/