Rear Strut Brace [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Rear Strut Brace

UndeadGods
05-09-2012, 04:20 PM
Today I installed my rear strut brace, I don't know if I did it right or not, but the problem is that my driver rear strut is making noises now when I go over a bump. I took it off, and it was still making noises.

Could my rear shock just be giving up? I saw no leaking fluid anywhere on the strut, and I looked/felt hard. I doubt that the strut would cause this to happen?

Also, as you can see in the pictures, I dont even know if I put the brace the right way. Is that little plastic/rubber peace suppose to be taken off?

blckgagt
05-09-2012, 05:28 PM
No the plastic piece can stay there. Perhaps a bad mount?

UndeadGods
05-09-2012, 06:01 PM
It makes squeaking noises, doesn't that mean that its the strut?

AaronGTR
05-09-2012, 09:40 PM
It makes squeaking noises, doesn't that mean that its the strut?

Not necessarily. Actually you almost never hear the strut if they are worn out. Usually any squeaking noises in the back are coming from bad mounts, worn spring isolators or spring coatings, or worn suspension bushings.

Since you had to remove and reinstall some fasteners to install the STB mounting plate, it's possible you shifted something. It's also possible something is just worn out. Hard to say without seeing/hearing it in person.

One tip I would give... you can see how the plate is sitting on the threaded discs welded to the sheet metal that the two strut bolts go into... that makes the plate sit on an angle instead of flat. With my STB I placed a couple large washers under the front of the STB to make it approximately the same height as those discs so it sits flat.