Just found orange radiator fluid [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Just found orange radiator fluid

elephant3152
05-13-2012, 04:39 PM
THis is my 1st pontiac GT, it's got 197k miles and the fluid is orange. its never overheated. should i flush it? the previous owners let it sit so long the oil was like mud so that got flushed. Just never seen Dex-cool I mean I've nEVER seen a car that i haven't had to add water to the overflow tank before. It's completely full and no leaks at all throughout entire car!!

also, can't find tranny dipstick....
should i flush the tranny fluid?? how do i even check it?

and the big plastic cover that says GRAND AM over the radiator and other parts, is that necessary or can i take that off and see my car better?

the thing runs like a champ, all gears smooth, never overheats, just filled the ac it blows good, just got new STOCK size tires cause they had low pro on it...
any suggestions for making this thing last as long as possible??

Oh, and my power window clips broke on the pass side... little white plastic clips all broken at the bottom of the door. best to replace clip or get 2 aftermarket regulators and replace all? Do the aftermarket reglulators come with the clips though??? Cause that's what's broke? And what price am I lookin at for this fix if i buy the parts myself??

Anyone in the Norcal area (spec. north Sac valley) that works on doors?

[ChaosweaveR]
05-13-2012, 05:36 PM
Dex-Cool is orange. lol

What size tires were previously on it? The correct size is 225/50 R16.

TheCrownHolder
05-13-2012, 06:25 PM
there is no tranny dipstick. and orange is the right coolant!

AaronGTR
05-13-2012, 09:36 PM
Yeah, stock dex-cool is actually red. There are a couple other brands of long life coolant that are red, orange, and even yellow.

If the oil was really that bad, I'd run some cheap oil through it first with a 1/4 bottle of trans fluid. Let it idle for 20-30 minutes then change the oil and filter again with whatever you want to run long term. The extra additives in the trans fluid will help clean out all your oil passages and break up any sludge (thanks to Macalypse for that tip).

Also there is no tranny dipstick. That's because according to GM and your owners manual, the transmission is "sealed for life" and isn't supposed to need any fluid changes or topping off. :rolleyes: That of course is BS. The trans fluid really isn't good for any more than 5 years/ 60k miles, or 100k miles at the most if the car isn't beat on. They just say that because they don't expect anyone to keep the car for that long when it's new. There is a red cap for filling the trans on top of of the trans case. Search on here for trans fluid check and you should find detailed instructions for filling/ check the fluid level. I would not recommend doing a flush as that can stir up crap from the bottom of the pan and contaminate your seals and make your trans fail. The best thing to do is simply drop the pan and drain the fluid, change the filter and pan gasket, reinstall and fill with new fluid.

geldartb
05-14-2012, 07:38 AM
Yeah, stock dex-cool is actually red. There are a couple other brands of long life coolant that are red, orange, and even yellow.

Peak longlife the last time i bought it was a yellowish color. i used it in the pc i keep in the garage. normally mix it with distilled water but all i had at the time was the antifreeze.

this was the stuff i bought a few years back. IIRC they changed the color a few years back because it use to be more on the green side because when i mixed this batch with the peak i already had in the car it turned a brownish tint.

the pic below is straight PEAK longlife. ignore the mess i changed cases after this.

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h5/95blackz26/Computer%20Stuff/garage%20pc/007.jpg

zukiracer19
05-14-2012, 02:56 PM
Ew @ watercooler... so ugly lol what are your cpu temps overclocked?