whats the best grand am to buy? [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : whats the best grand am to buy?

surfermatt95
05-13-2012, 10:43 PM
i have a 99 grand am gt, i did the headgaskets on it, lim uim, tune up, tranny oil and its got 133k and iwas thinking about selling it and buying a 02 grand am gt what do you think ? theres a picture of my car,

FuriousG
05-13-2012, 11:18 PM
Not much difference between a '99 and '02. If you're serious about changing at least go for an '03-'05. Even that wont' be enough of a change to offset the amount of money you'll probably lose in the swap. Your best bet is to stick with the one you have.

surfermatt95
05-14-2012, 12:05 PM
Not much difference between a '99 and '02. If you're serious about changing at least go for an '03-'05. Even that wont' be enough of a change to offset the amount of money you'll probably lose in the swap. Your best bet is to stick with the one you have.

even with it having 133k? i mean should i at least swap to a 99 with lower mileage i feel like this one is close to death, it runs good and i want to do a bunch of stuff, rims, paint job, interior , neons etc but i feel like itll be a waste because the car is at the end point of its life, it runs good and im about to put a new cat on but im not sure if i should put all that on this or just get a lower mileage one... but i feel kinda stupid for even asking :P

locoman99
05-14-2012, 01:11 PM
even with it having 133k? i mean should i at least swap to a 99 with lower mileage i feel like this one is close to death, it runs good and i want to do a bunch of stuff, rims, paint job, interior , neons etc but i feel like itll be a waste because the car is at the end point of its life, it runs good and im about to put a new cat on but im not sure if i should put all that on this or just get a lower mileage one... but i feel kinda stupid for even asking :P

133k?. It just got broken in. wrecks rust and women are the only things that can kill a loved car. When something wears out...upgrade it.

shiwnath
05-14-2012, 01:32 PM
Actually.. Between a 99 and an 02 there were some changes for sure. The 99 has smaller bosch style injectors, a crappier upper intake manifold design and a different style EGR just to list a few, but performance wise I think they're about the same.

surfermatt95
05-14-2012, 03:51 PM
133k?. It just got broken in. wrecks rust and women are the only things that can kill a loved car. When something wears out...upgrade it.

so this should last me a while? of course itll last til i stop repairing it :P im 16 and pretty excited about this , so should this car easily go past 200k?

surfermatt95
05-14-2012, 03:51 PM
Actually.. Between a 99 and an 02 there were some changes for sure. The 99 has smaller bosch style injectors, a crappier upper intake manifold design and a different style EGR just to list a few, but performance wise I think they're about the same.

is the exterior body the same? i feel like i like the 02 body style better

tipnitty
05-14-2012, 04:28 PM
Just keep yours, don't go through all the hassle of selling one and potentially buying someone else's problem.

BJPbrandon2448
05-14-2012, 04:35 PM
particulary the grand am you want to buy is one that doesnt have a blown headgasket.

locoman99
05-14-2012, 05:16 PM
so this should last me a while? of course itll last til i stop repairing it :P im 16 and pretty excited about this , so should this car easily go past 200k?

190k...i did put an 01 engine in it at 160k..but that was more on me than the car. i just made a 700 mile round trip in it and didnt think twice about it. Stay on top of any issue and it will be in better shape at 200k than 100k

AaronGTR
05-14-2012, 06:35 PM
133,000 is nothing! It's definitely far from "about to die" unless it's been beat on or completely neglected. Anyway...

The bodies are pretty much the same on all grand ams from 1999-2005. The most significant changes were made to the body cladding on the SE's in later years, and of course the change to the mickey mouse mirrors and availability of the SC/T appearance parts, which was in '03 I believe.

There were some significant changes to the power train however between the '99 and the '00-'02 cars. There were some significant updates again in '03 to the engine and trans. If you want one with the lowest miles and best updates, you should probably look for an '03-'05 model. There were a few minor interior changes through the years too, but nothing major.

surfermatt95
05-15-2012, 12:02 AM
thanks everyone, ill just baby this car and try to get what i can out of it, it was given to me for free so any money i put wont be wasted

UndeadGods
05-16-2012, 07:10 PM

225k here

chris_gt_74
05-16-2012, 07:48 PM
225k here

Damn you drive a lot! lol I have an 05 with 97k which feels like a lot to me.

jd99gagt
05-16-2012, 07:58 PM
Mine has about 144k and still runs good. I used to drive cabs a few years ago and a lot of them had the 3.4 like impalas. Most of them were luminas but I think they had similar engines like 3.1s and other 3.4s. They were driven for sometimes up to 12 hours a day and had well over 200k on them not to mention that they were beaten to s*it by other slobby drivers that drove them and were worn but they seemed to just keep going. It seems like if you keep repairing them and changing oil/trans they keep going. I watched some video of a Buick 3.1 that claimed to have have piston slap and sounded like s*it but the guy said it was alright for high miles and it was designed that way but idk never learned too much about that.

UndeadGods
05-17-2012, 06:02 AM
Damn you drive a lot! lol I have an 05 with 97k which feels like a lot to me.

I bought it with 200k, it was mostly city driven, by a drunk driver who crashed it a few times n blew a head, twice, apart from that, it runs pretty solid!

surfermatt95
05-17-2012, 08:34 PM
I bought it with 200k, it was mostly city driven, by a drunk driver who crashed it a few times n blew a head, twice, apart from that, it runs pretty solid!

XD thats funny, yeah the guy who had this drove drunk the last time he had it, and ran up against something red, broke off right mirror and dropped cigarette on seat i just now called the bank, the guy owes 823.67 on it and it adds 12% daily and i think im going to pay it, since i got car for free its just all fees and interest and he filed car in bankruptcy and sent it to chargeoff! not sure what to do other than play hardball

UndeadGods
05-17-2012, 09:07 PM
XD thats funny, yeah the guy who had this drove drunk the last time he had it, and ran up against something red, broke off right mirror and dropped cigarette on seat i just now called the bank, the guy owes 823.67 on it and it adds 12% daily and i think im going to pay it, since i got car for free its just all fees and interest and he filed car in bankruptcy and sent it to chargeoff! not sure what to do other than play hardball

Yea the first day that i got my car on the road (after having it sit for like 3 days cuz of VIN number related problems) i blew a head after driving it for 15 mins lol.

Front n back bumpers were cracked/broken, pass headlight case was broken, the black plastic piece that holds the headlights in is broken on pass side so noting really held the light in lmao.
She lost her license so her mom sold her car

surfermatt95
05-19-2012, 06:25 PM
Yea the first day that i got my car on the road (after having it sit for like 3 days cuz of VIN number related problems) i blew a head after driving it for 15 mins lol.

Front n back bumpers were cracked/broken, pass headlight case was broken, the black plastic piece that holds the headlights in is broken on pass side so noting really held the light in lmao.
She lost her license so her mom sold her car

thats crazy, i actually enjoyed doing my gaskets i just did not like those two screws on the lower intake manifold that were hard to remove and put in and i broke the screws on exhaust where they come together

UndeadGods
05-19-2012, 06:46 PM
thats crazy, i actually enjoyed doing my gaskets i just did not like those two screws on the lower intake manifold that were hard to remove and put in and i broke the screws on exhaust where they come together

What happens if you break those screws? How would you fix it?

I'm scared to take apart my engine cuz I'll prolly forget how to put it back together lol

surfermatt95
05-23-2012, 07:55 PM
What happens if you break those screws? How would you fix it?

I'm scared to take apart my engine cuz I'll prolly forget how to put it back together lol

i snapped em mid way on the pipe and was about to push em together enough to put a nut on the broken part and tighten it and if i broke it all the way id just unscrew it out of pipe and put a new one its screw with threads on each end with just smoothness in the middle

surfermatt95
05-24-2012, 10:30 PM
while i was at work today the 11 year old down the road was riding his bike too fast, chain snapped and he slammed alongside my car, his shoulder took off my side view mirror and he rolled down my hood and my friend said his hot mom was bent down beside my car in booty shorts and a tanktop licking her fingers and using it to get the scratches off the side XD i wish i had security cameras

young gun
05-24-2012, 10:49 PM
She should be licking something else for compensation..

UndeadGods
05-25-2012, 06:24 AM
She should be licking something else for compensation..

x2

surfermatt95
05-25-2012, 07:45 PM
x2

she use to be hot.. but then she and her little daughter like 5 shaved their heads for some odd reason... now its short but none the less, your right sucks being 16 , all the adults are scared because im jailbait ;P what happened to the dont ask dont tell policy?

UndeadGods
05-26-2012, 12:06 PM
she use to be hot.. but then she and her little daughter like 5 shaved their heads for some odd reason... now its short but none the less, your right sucks being 16 , all the adults are scared because im jailbait ;P what happened to the dont ask dont tell policy?

They don't need to know what your age is - what they don't know can't hurt them ;)

surfermatt95
05-27-2012, 09:18 AM
thats true, i guess there comes a point in ones life to be a home wrecker......
;D

3800L67GAM
05-27-2012, 12:26 PM
;D

LOL!!!! :attention

3800L67GAM
06-12-2012, 02:28 PM
;D

Do A Sea Foam treatment Your car Would Love that!?!?!?! It will feel like new *banana* :balla: it will be dancing like him :jackson :ec: :leg