Under the hood [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Under the hood

jd99gagt
05-14-2012, 07:47 PM
Can I please have a clean under the hood shot of a stock grand am gt. I just want to make sure I placed all the wires and vac lines correctly. I also would like to know if this is a sign of me cracking my upper intake manifold. As I was torquing down the blots I read in my haynes manual that there is no specific tightening sequence so as I was torquing the front set of bolts the back end of the Intake manifold was kind of sticking up, I continued to torque them down and heard a ping, hopefully it was just where the egr hooks up that was holding it up but...only time will tell. I also would like to know what the two hoses connected to the throttle body are called(cooling system), I need to replace one but tried to seal it with rtv sealant as a temp. just to get it running and see if the problem is solved. I need to know what the piece is called that connects to the water pump that has the bleeder on it too, I would like to get a new o-ring for it and the pipe that connects to the t-stat housing that goes to the heater, would like to get an o-ring for that too. Sorry about such a long list.

locoman99
05-14-2012, 07:58 PM
After finger tight do em center out in an opposing pattern. Use new bolts and clean your threads. Iirc those fasteners are not to be very tight..find out your spec and dont overtighting them. Pull your bolts and inspect them...that should answer your question.

chris_gt_74
05-14-2012, 08:31 PM
Can I please have a clean under the hood shot of a stock grand am gt.

No pic here mines not stock.

I just want to make sure I placed all the wires and vac lines correctly. I also would like to know if this is a sign of me cracking my upper intake manifold. As I was torquing down the blots I read in my haynes manual that there is no specific tightening sequence so as I was torquing the front set of bolts the back end of the Intake manifold was kind of sticking up, I continued to torque them down and heard a ping, hopefully it was just where the egr hooks up that was holding it up but...only time will tell.

It is possible because it is prone to cracking if over torqued or put in a bind. It may be fine but if it is cracked it may could have a vacuum leak. You can check the seal by spraying carb cleaner around the edges while the engine running. If it tries to stall it has a leak.

I also would like to know what the two hoses connected to the throttle body are called(cooling system), I need to replace one but tried to seal it with rtv sealant as a temp. just to get it running and see if the problem is solved.

Those 2 hoses are basically useless. Buy you a piece of hose and some clamps and just bridge the 2 ports on the bypass pipe.

I need to know what the piece is called that connects to the water pump that has the bleeder on it too, I would like to get a new o-ring for it and the pipe that connects to the t-stat housing that goes to the heater, would like to get an o-ring for that too. Sorry about such a long list.

I think it's just called a bypass hose, pipe or whatever. There maybe a technical name but I don't know it. If you hit up Milzy's Motorsports they have one of these that has the throttle body connections removed and probably has a new o-ring included. Plus you can get it in different colors.

AleroB888
05-14-2012, 10:22 PM
Here's one of them dang pesky Aleros, stock 'O3

http://i493.photobucket.com/albums/rr299/Gflash01/eb1.jpg

HOYS
05-14-2012, 10:41 PM
I just want to make sure I placed all the wires and vac lines correctly.
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/534555/LA1Vac.gif
(1) Intake Manifold
(2) MAP Sensor
(3) AIR Vacuum Solenoid Valve (if equipped)
(4) AIR Control Valve (if equipped)
(5) EVAP Canister Purge Solenoid Valve
(6) Purge Pipe to EVAP Canister
(7) Throttle Body
(8) PCV Valve
(9) Fuel Pressure Regulator
(10) Air Control Valve (if equipped)

The one thing not on this list is the HVAC vac. connection. It comes out of the wiring harness end with the MAP, EVAP, IAT, TPS, and IAC connections. It is usually a grey hose. It connects to the front drivers side nipple on the upper intake manifold with a 90* bend. Shown here (http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/3/3c/2005_Pontiac_Grand_Am_3400_engine.jpg) next to the fuel pressure regulator.

I also would like to know if this is a sign of me cracking my upper intake manifold. As I was torquing down the blots I read in my haynes manual that there is no specific tightening sequence so as I was torquing the front set of bolts the back end of the Intake manifold was kind of sticking up, I continued to torque them down and heard a ping, hopefully it was just where the egr hooks up that was holding it up but...only time will tell.

Make sure you were only tightening to 25 Nm (18 lb ft). That isn't really a lot. It is a good bit less than people think of as "tight" with a normal ratchet.

I also would like to know what the two hoses connected to the throttle body are called(cooling system), I need to replace one but tried to seal it with rtv sealant as a temp. just to get it running and see if the problem is solved.

Most people reference them as throttle body coolant lines. They are unnecessary. Get a piece of hose from your auto parts store and connect the two nipples on the black tube together and secure it with two hose clamps. Done and you will never have to worry about it again.

I need to know what the piece is called that connects to the water pump that has the bleeder on it too, I would like to get a new o-ring for it and the pipe that connects to the t-stat housing that goes to the heater, would like to get an o-ring for that too. Sorry about such a long list.

Most people reference that tube as the Coolant Bypass tube. If you just did the lower intake manifold gasket job (I'm guessing you did), the O-Ring usually comes with most kits you get. If not, get an O-Ring assortment from Harbor Freight or a few loose ones from an auto parts store (Most parts stores have a store used box of assorted O-Rings that they will sell you for something like 10 cents a piece.)

Now the O-Ring for the slip fit heater hose into the lower intake manifold is a wonky size and has some orange sealant on it from the factory. I just did the lower intake manifold gasket on my LA1 mini-van and bought a new one of these O-Rings from the dealer as the one it in was pretty much shot (and a PAIN IN THE BUTT to get to without removing everything on that side of the engine!) so I just went to the dealer, and got a new one. I don't know the part number off hand, but just go in, tell them your year/make/model, say it is for the slip fit heater hose into the lower intake manifold, they will most likely print you off a diagram, locate the O-Ring on the diagram, and get that part. It ran me something like a $1.20 for it, but that was the change that had fallen out of my pocket in my car. Sure it is a lot for an O-Ring, but it works right the first time.

jd99gagt
05-15-2012, 12:05 PM
Thanks for the good stuff everyone. If you wouldn't mind taking a look at my new thread I am now having another issue.