hard turning [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : hard turning

huey01
05-16-2012, 10:17 AM
i have this problem when turning my steering wheel, when am about to park are reversing my steering wheel is hard to turn and making this whining sound. i check the power steering fluid an its fine any idea is what cause this? please help.

sleepyalero
05-16-2012, 10:20 AM
bad pump?

juanvan
05-16-2012, 10:51 AM
Or worn belt
worn tensioner

jd99gagt
05-16-2012, 11:26 AM
You said your power steering fluid was fine so I'm guessing it wasn't foamy. If there's air in the system that can happen. To bleed it you have to jack the car up so both front wheels are off the ground and rev the car up to about 1500ish rpm and hold it there as you turn from stop to stop a few times, I usually do it about 10 times, after that drop the car back down and creep the vehicle in drive without your foot on the brake turn from left stop to right stop about 4 or 5 times while rolling, you continue to repeat those steps until you ps pump isn't whining anymore. if that's what it is that that will probably take care of it.If it's not that stuff than consider you previous posters. A little word of advice too....not a good idea to take your ps pum reservoir cap off when the car is still hot as it can crack..i already did that and don't overfill!

rocketfast123
05-16-2012, 02:04 PM
I would flush the power steering system, and put new fluid in.