questions on replacing ignition cylinder [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : questions on replacing ignition cylinder

x_orange90_x
05-17-2012, 08:54 AM
Hello, I am new here so I would first like to say hello!

Now, my issue:

My ignition tumbler is jamming up inside when I try to turn my key. It takes a lot of turning and wiggling the key to get it to come out of the off position. Also, when in the run or acc position, I can completely remove the key.. I know the tumbler is shot as I have removed it from the cylinder and found that the metallic contact(?) is hanging up and not allowing the tumbler to turn.

Now, I am getting an entire assembly from someone and I would like to know if I will need to replace it all, or just the tumbler, or the tumbler and cylinder. Also, the passlock has been bypassed on my car, so will I still need to program the new part, or will it not have any issues?

Thankyou

juanvan
05-17-2012, 09:12 AM
If the passlock is bypassed you should not need to program for the new part.
Replacing the tumbler should work - But I have never replaced just that - usually replaced the whole assy. and that requires removing the center console and some carpet.

x_orange90_x
05-17-2012, 09:56 AM
Ok, thanks for the reply! If I change the cylinder and tumbler, will it still be compatible, electronically, with the rest of the assembly? I know the cylinder has electronics in it and the rest of the assembly does as well, I wouldn't want to mess anything up.

As a side note, I'm thinking of getting the replacement rekeyed, would that be expensive and not worth it? Having two separate keys sounds like a nuisance, but I could deal with it if it's too costly.

juanvan
05-17-2012, 10:36 AM
Do not know for sure what is electronic in the key cylin, might just be a resistance Ohm like the old chipped one's were.
But if you have the tumbler out - why not just take it to a lock smith and see if they have tumblers that will work. Or what would have been needed to fix the org one?
Usually normal re-keys cost 60$

Malaclypse
05-17-2012, 09:25 PM
I'd get your new lock cylinder keyed to the factory code. The only way someone can get the key code right between the 9 tumblers in the lock cylinder is to actually have a key meant for your car.

As far as having to program the security system after replacement, yes I believe you'll have to. Just do the 30 minute learn and its no big deal. Also if you get a lock cylinder kit from a dealership it will come with new springs, tumblers, passlock sensor, lock cylinder and tumbler plate. So all the components will be new. Matter of fact you could probably ask the techs there to re-key your cylinder and they'll probably help you out for probably the same price as a locksmith.

However a dealership tech should know that in order to make these lock cylinders reliable you need to stake in the tumbler plate.

Also to replace the passlock sensor you don't need to remove the center console. Just remove the trim ring around the cylinder, remove the trim around the radio and the radio itself. Then get a right angle pick and use that to depress the detent on the side of the cylinder when your key is in the "Run" position and remove the cylinder.

x_orange90_x
05-18-2012, 05:23 AM
Hello, thanks for your reply! As juanvan said above, I shouldn't have to program anything because my passlock is bypassed. Both of my keys, the one I got with the car and the one I just had made are both copies. They are Ilco, which is what ACO sells.

I would like to have it rekeyed but I feel $60+ is pricey.

Another issue I am having that is strange is my clock keeps going out. Its the factory radio, and the clock was working fine until I hit the dashboard one day in an attempt to get the key to turn (someone suggested that one lol). Sinse then it's mostly stayed off, but I was able to get it to come back on the other day by hitting the dashboard again. After I turned the car off and back on again the clock went out again. Maybe a loose wire?

x_orange90_x
05-19-2012, 05:24 AM
In regards to the clock, I think I know what's wrong now. This morning while I was looking at the radio i noticed that the buttons and and letters around the LCD were dimly lit, so I suppose the little red led for that portion of the radio is out. Anybody know if that's fixable and where I could get a replacement bulb if it burned out?