instrument cluster [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : instrument cluster

tornado5
05-18-2012, 04:03 PM
My instrument cluster wont light up anymore. I had an after market stereo installed the fuse blew i replaced worked for a little afer then just shut off i checked the fuse and its okay did i cause a short somwhere or could it be somthing else. Like when you open the door the dome lights and floor light come on. just when your driving at night the cluster doesnt light.

Its been that way for like a month now i just boght some LED strips red ones and used those but i wonder if i can get it fixed without spending tons of money;crap

TheCrownHolder
05-18-2012, 04:44 PM
really trivial but make sure your dimmer isn't all the way turned down

tornado5
05-18-2012, 04:50 PM
Yea i checked that that wasnt it...

TruGreenGAGT
05-18-2012, 04:54 PM
are there any other lights that dont work at night?

theres a fuse in the underhood panel that if blows you loose dash lights, and outter running/parking lights.

theres also a ground block somewere behind the cluster if it comes loose you wont have lights on the cluster.

tornado5
05-18-2012, 05:04 PM
none of the lights inside work just the dome and floor lights. everything else is off like the p rnd321 and the fac control and window button. all lights on the outside work except for the lisence plate on the back but im pretty sure that just needs a bulb.

I also do have HID headlights but its wasnt working before i even installed them like 3 weeks ago

TruGreenGAGT
05-18-2012, 06:05 PM
bad dimmer switch then

hit a JY and grab one to test it out
I just installed my new HVAC and had the dimmer removed (painting it) and went to test my lights.....ya nothing. plugged a spare dimmer in an lights

tornado5
05-18-2012, 06:24 PM
ok ill ill do that 2mro thanks

tornado5
05-20-2012, 03:45 PM
I got a dimmer switch unless they are both bad. the lights still wony come on

TruGreenGAGT
05-20-2012, 03:50 PM
i would go through and double check that all fuses are good.
actually pull them out and look, if that doesn't solve it service the battery cables, and check all the ground blocks to see if eveything is grounded and tight

tornado5
05-20-2012, 06:33 PM
i think its the cables i was leaving work yesterday and came outside to start my car and it wouldnt start the nattery was dead and it was making some clicking sounds. i took the battery out and went to autozone to have it recharged. did all that and now the car turns over a lot before it starts. or its starts then dies and i have to start it up and hold the key in the start postion for awhile then its okay. and this moring i was driving the radio kept turning off when i used turn signal or steped on break my + battery cable was a little loose so i tighted it. and that seemed to solve that problem. should i have my cables serviced?

afterdeath07
05-24-2012, 08:46 PM
sounds like you have a phantom in there somewhere, sorry i cant be any help but best of luck

shiwnath
05-24-2012, 09:18 PM
It's the dimmer light module.. My buddy's Alero had the exact same problem... I don't know why, but his keeps getting fried.. It's not the actual switch, but the dimmer light module.

This is what it looks like:
http://i414.photobucket.com/albums/pp222/d1pl0mat5/IMG_1173.jpg
http://i414.photobucket.com/albums/pp222/d1pl0mat5/IMG_1172.jpg
http://i414.photobucket.com/albums/pp222/d1pl0mat5/IMG_1171.jpg