Car 99% Dead [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Car 99% Dead

Sleepwalkr
05-19-2012, 12:00 AM
I did a search and nothing fully explained what happened tonight. Quick background... I just got my car fixed 2 weeks ago after it sat for 7 months not starting. It would crank but not start. Turns out it was a broken wire going to the Ignition control module so it wasn't sensing any power or something. Anyways, while my car was at the mechanic, I had him put in a new water pump and belt, and a new thermostat. Plus I had him replace my busted blower resistor motor so now I have A/C on all 5 settings.

So, my car has been starting and running just fine since I picked it up 2 weeks ago. So tonight after work, I put the key in, turned it to "on" and left it there for about 4 seconds, (I do that all the time to let the fuel pump get going). All the dash lights, radio, and standard chiming come on like normal. I then turn the key to start the car and all power ceases to exist...like someone had unbolted the battery...a total shut down, like someone flipped a light switch off.

I pull the key out and put it back in and turn..... completely dead. I popped the hood to check and make sure my battery isn't detached somehow, and its fine. I then proceed to check every fuse in the car that has anything to do with power or battery...they're all fine.

So I get back in the car and notice something odd... When I opened the door, I hear this ticking sound coming from somewhere under the dash on the passengers side. I sat down in the drivers seat and shut the door, and the ticking stops. I reach up and turn on the dome light and the ticking starts up again. Obviously the light did not come on though. Then I turn the key to "on" again, and the SES light comes on very dim, and I hear the ticking sound again. So its like every time there should be power to something, like lights, instead I hear this ticking sound. So obviously my battery is not completely dead.

I called my wife and had her bring me the jumper cables. I hook them up...but its doing absolutely nothing. Yes, the cables work and I had them connected properly. I left them hooked up for about 15 minutes, but my car still had no power at all minus that ticking sound and the dim SES light on the dash. No lights on in the car at all, no power, no nothing. I checked the battery cables and the ground wire. As far as I can tell, they were all good. My battery is either not accepting the charge, or the power from the battery isn't going where it needs to go.

So... Until tonight, my car started and ran just fine. Then suddenly the car is like 99% dead, minus this mysterious ticking sound in place of lights or power. Sorry for the long post, but I'm pretty stumped on this one. I even called my buddy who knows way more about cars than me, he had no idea and said it didn't sound familiar at all. If the battery was completely dead, why does it tick like that? I unplugged the negative terminal, just in case...what, I don't know, and the ticking stopped completely. So, the battery does something...but again I have no idea whats going on. I really need my car.

Thank you in advance for any info anyone may have.

DaRkWaVe
05-19-2012, 12:12 AM
I am stumped as well, and I thought I've seen it all. I have not had any problems with the BCM (body control module....I think), but you may want to consider that. Good luck. By the way, the BCM is under passenger dash. Perhaps when the blower resistor was replaced the mechanic rubbed your BCM the wrong way.

TruGreenGAGT
05-19-2012, 12:19 AM
my idea and thought.
now forgive me I've been drinking but seems to make sense lol

open your door or do what ever needed to hear said ticking. then go threw the 3 fuse panels pull a fuse then replace, and continue this with every fuse untill the ticking stops. look up what said fues does and it should help you narrow the problem

Starglow
05-19-2012, 12:35 AM
I had that happen once and it was the battery cables. You need to service them per the following link....don't just check the connections but service them.

http://www.gaownersclub.com/forum/faq.php?faq=maint_repair#faq_batt_serv

Have you checked the battery condition? Sometimes they just die suddenly without warning. To me the symptoms you describe sound more like the car isn't getting enough power which causes all kinds of weirdness in GA's.

locoman99
05-19-2012, 12:42 AM
Bcm could havr got smoked. I have heard them tick click or pop when they go bad before. But your total loss of power is a classic sign of a bad bcm. Recheck the module you got replaced and any connections around it fitst...but it really sounds like a bcm
One more thought...whatever happened has to be related to the starting system..since it happened the second he spun the key. talking myself out of bcm... those i known to go have just randomly went while driving down the road. Plus he had some stranger shoulder deep under his dash very recently

Sleepwalkr
05-19-2012, 12:22 PM
Thanks for the info. How much does a new BCM cost, & is it hard to replace? Is there anything special I have to do other than take out and put new one in?

I did clean my battery cables with baking soda etc. a few months ago. I did not cut off the boots and clean under there though. I'll try to do that, and pulling all fuses while listening for the ticking today.

Sleepwalkr
05-20-2012, 07:12 PM
Ok....... Bought a brand new battery, cleaned up the minor acid on the cables, and my power was restored and she started right up. My battery was about 4 years old, but it was really weird how the power just stopped like that. Every battery I've had in the past has kinda slowly died. Oh well, problem solved.......for now.

Question though: What causes the car to crank more than other times before it starts? Sometimes it only cranks once or twice and fires right up...other times it cranks 6, 7, 8 times before turning over. Is my starter going bad, or is that something else?

Thanks guys.

Fireball
05-20-2012, 07:23 PM
Glad you got it fixed.
As for the cranking I couldn't tell you... when was the last tune up?

Mine will start after 1 crank and turn over immediately sometimes..
Other times its 2 or 3.

tornado5
05-20-2012, 07:27 PM
whens the last time you had a tune up?

Sleepwalkr
05-21-2012, 04:50 PM
I put a new belt in 2 weeks ago, but its been about 55-65k miles since my last full tune-up.

Daven
05-21-2012, 05:00 PM
I had the same thing happen and it was a bad connection to the battery. All i did was clean off the posts and make sure it was on tight and it worked great after that. I remember that ticking too, scared the hell out of me lol. I'd check the posts and make sure everything is clean and shiny then clamp it on tight. With mine it was just that the posts were corroded and not making a good enough connection

AaronGTR
05-21-2012, 05:34 PM
I had this exact same problem happen to me once... ticking noise and all. Started and ran fine when I left the house. Came out of a store and it was dead. Jumper cables didn't help. Dome light would come on but flickered and the gauge cluster barely came on. Ticking noise under the dash I figured was probably a relay on the BCM or something trying to activate but maybe didn't have enough power to fully energize so it kept turning on and off, hence the clicking.

I ended up getting some tools and taking the battery cables off to take the battery out and take it to the auto parts place to have it checked. It was fine so brought it back and put it in... started right up. All I had to do was move the battery cables and make a new connection and it was enough to remove a tiny bit of corrosion and make contact again. Cleaned the battery terminals and cable ends with a soft wire brush and problem went away and has never come back. Check and clean them periodically and you shouldn't have this problem again. :thumbs:

tornado5
05-21-2012, 05:58 PM
I got to spark plugs and changed wires and that helped with that starting hesitation