Torque Converter [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Torque Converter

zukiracer19
05-20-2012, 07:53 AM
Welp heard a loud breaking noise, trans on load rpms are higher, no power... and a loud fan type noise coming from the engine bay... then ticking. I move car and tires are locking up... I'm assuming my torque converter is shot... or maybe more... Should i throw a new torque converter and see if that fixes it? if so where can I order a OEM one.

zukiracer19
05-21-2012, 01:24 PM
Anyone?

AaronGTR
05-21-2012, 04:37 PM
At this point, it would be safer to replace the whole tranny. It's more likely something internal, or more than just one thing that is broken. If it was the TC, then you can bet there is crap going through the rest of the trans now in the fluid since it gets pumped through the TC. Start looking for a used replacement trans to drop in.

TDavis
05-21-2012, 04:53 PM
I actually had to replace my torque converter exactly a month ago and ever since then my shifts have been SOOO much smoother, total labor and costs was around $1000, they removed the tranny and inspected all of it, flushed all fluids and lines, replaced the TC for a new one and filled with fresh fluids. I didn't even know it was the TC till I saw my check engine light came on and after a while of driving my shifts where really hard and jerky, and when I was rolling I could here a tiny/faint whine like a SC type of whine, but then after my car sat for an hour or two I went to show my dad but it didn't do it then. My shifts where only hard and jerky 1 time and I've never experienced that except for that one moment, I guess it had to do with driving for a while.

Mine didn't sound like what yours did or did all what your explaining, it didn't disintegrate inside of the tranny, my tranny was fine just needed a new torque converter.

At first when I took it there they just took a look at it and cleaned it up a bit, which didn't fix it. They took it on test drives, but like I said, it doesn't happen till you drive for 1-2 hours straight. Then we figured out we needed a new torque converter and so they cleaned everything and put a new one in and ever since then its been spot on perfect when shifting and on long drives + the check engine light went off after they fixed it to.

zukiracer19
05-21-2012, 06:12 PM
My trans only had 1700 miles on it, raybestos clutch plates, acc pistons, etc had everything done... i just think the TC was faulty. I had everything I possibly could put into my trans through the guy... unfortunately by the time i got my car motor rebuild and back from machine shop the guy gave it up he wasnt making enough money, i still got his name and cell # though.

AaronGTR
05-21-2012, 09:02 PM
Hell, if it only had that many miles on it, I'd say he did something wrong when he reassembled it. It's either that or you abused it terribly. I've had two factory OEM TC's in my trans and neither one has failed, and they've had a lot of HP and abuse thrown at them. The failure rate on a part like that is VERY low, so it's unlikely that it was just a bad part and randomly failed.

zukiracer19
05-22-2012, 01:22 PM
car was only turbo for 300 of it... and I was cruising at like 45-50 when it happened.