lubricating sunroof [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : lubricating sunroof

jd99gagt
05-20-2012, 01:01 PM
Is there any special grease that should be used to lubricate the sun roof?

UndeadGods
05-20-2012, 09:18 PM
WD40? Grease for grease fittings?

lone_wolf025
05-20-2012, 10:36 PM
Probably same issue I have. Sunroof chatters on opening due to insufficient lubricant. Haven't found an answer to that one yet but WD-40 is not the sticky/gooy grease that is found on the track surface so that's out.

chris_gt_74
05-21-2012, 12:10 AM
White lithium grease doesn't work either for very long. Mine hops too when opening. Maybe the guide is worn but I haven't looked in to well enough to find a permanent fix.

jd99gagt
05-21-2012, 02:04 PM
I don't really have anything like that,it gets stuck sometimes when it stops before you have to push the button again to get it to close.I think it takes some kind of yellow grease.

AaronGTR
05-21-2012, 05:49 PM
I took a quick scan through my manual... in the entire section on sunroof repair and maintenance it doesn't mention lubrication anywhere. Kinda weird, but I guess they figure it's supposed to have enough lubrication on it from the factory? Like maybe if the tracks/cables etc get bad enough to where they aren't working smoothly any more then they are just worn and need to be replaced, and maybe extra lubrication won't help them anymore. Dunno...

I would think most spray greases etc wouldn't be thick enough to help much though. I have a can of spray silicone lubricant and it only works on certain things. Most stuff, it's just not thick enough to stick to. I would think if you are lubricating tracks of some kind, you are going to need a thicker grease in a can and will have to wipe it on by hand.

jd99gagt
05-21-2012, 08:09 PM
I took a quick scan through my manual... in the entire section on sunroof repair and maintenance it doesn't mention lubrication anywhere. Kinda weird, but I guess they figure it's supposed to have enough lubrication on it from the factory? Like maybe if the tracks/cables etc get bad enough to where they aren't working smoothly any more then they are just worn and need to be replaced, and maybe extra lubrication won't help them anymore. Dunno...

I would think most spray greases etc wouldn't be thick enough to help much though. I have a can of spray silicone lubricant and it only works on certain things. Most stuff, it's just not thick enough to stick to. I would think if you are lubricating tracks of some kind, you are going to need a thicker grease in a can and will have to wipe it on by hand.Well thanks for checking that out anyway. I have some All-purpose grease I used for my tie rod ends and what not and might slide it open and see where I can add some off my finger where it would be effective. It looks a little similar just another color. I don't think that would effect anything bad if you use an applicable amount.

UndeadGods
05-22-2012, 05:10 AM
Well thanks for checking that out anyway. I have some All-purpose grease I used for my tie rod ends and what not and might slide it open and see where I can add some off my finger where it would be effective. It looks a little similar just another color. I don't think that would effect anything bad if you use an applicable amount.

As long as it doesnt drip on your head!

chris_gt_74
05-22-2012, 11:10 AM
That black multipurpose grease stinks. Trust me I tried it too and could smell that crap in my car for weeks.

jd99gagt
05-22-2012, 11:31 AM
its not the black shiny stuff,its like fluoro red.

locoman99
05-22-2012, 12:07 PM
SlipPlate is what u need. Graphite dry film lube. im sure it is available under other brand names. Increadable stuff, everyone should own a can.

UndeadGods
05-22-2012, 02:09 PM
SlipPlate is what u need. Graphite dry film lube. im sure it is available under other brand names. Increadable stuff, everyone should own a can.

Mystery solved

jd99gagt
05-22-2012, 06:59 PM
there it is

bricooper78
09-24-2013, 04:33 PM
FWIW, I just laid down this (very pretty blue lol )
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a371/bcooper78/2013-09-24151049_zpsffeae7b7.jpg (http://s15.photobucket.com/user/bcooper78/media/2013-09-24151049_zpsffeae7b7.jpg.html)
on my tracks, it stopped the chatter while drawing backwards, did some in front and behind the assembly, figure it's high heat, so sitting in the sun shouldn't affect it any, and being designed for brakes, dust shouldn't do anything either, so if my roof blows off, I'll report back, and let everyone know that it was indeed
http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lg0hzi8vvp1qazqelo1_500.gif

a terrible idea :D