Suspension problems need help plz!!!! [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Suspension problems need help plz!!!!

akeemjvasser
05-21-2012, 07:10 PM
Hey guys im back before you with a problem i have been having with my suspension for the last month now. im asking for help on this one im tired of buying blind.

It seems that when i make a right turn, i here a ticking sound as if i put a piece of plastic on a string and let it rub against my tires while driving.
i have been told its my cv axle but they havent confirmed which side. so i replaced both of them with supposedly (grade A) used ones but i still hear the ticking.
any ideas??

chris_gt_74
05-21-2012, 09:51 PM
Tie rods or ball joints maybe?

DaRkWaVe
05-21-2012, 10:11 PM
I actually just replaced a drivers side balljoint due to a ticking sound that I spent weeks trying to figure out....and I found out it was the balljoint because I had replaced the strut assembly, rack and pinion, tie-rods, CV axle, hub and bearing assembly, and sway bar endlinks beforehand. Thankfully I enjoy working on my car and I get new parts for dirt cheap. At first I was convinced it was the strut mount, so I put a quick strut on. Then I did the tierods. Still ticking. Then I figured ,hell, my rack and pinion was in bad shape so thats gotta be it! 8 hours, and a sore neck and back later....still ticking. So I replaced the CV axle, hub and bearing assembly, and endlinks next, at the same time, determined to solve the the ticking sound. Still ticking you say? Yes indeed!
So I grab a new lower control arm, on the brink of insanity, and when I'm loosening the castle nut on the balljoint I revealed the ticking sound with each turn of the wrench.

My car drives like a dream now, needless to say. Though I feel like a D-bag since it was the last component I replaced that was faulty. Rock'n'roll.

UndeadGods
05-22-2012, 04:07 AM
Just jack up the front end of your car, remove the tire, grab the tie rod and firmly push it up and down with your hand. If it feels loose, if it makes a sound then thats it.