2002 Hard Shifting [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : 2002 Hard Shifting

louisville57
05-21-2012, 07:17 PM
My brother's Grand Am GT has been having a hard time shifting for a while. I was asked to take a look at it. A friend says it could be the solenoids, because his was exactly like that. My bro says he has filled it up with fluid already and it still slips, mostly just staying under 30-40mph. I was asked to try and change the filter and the solenoid or whatever I could find out that could be making the problem occur. Does anyone know what I should do? I heard there is a pan you need to drop to get access to the solenoids? Which solenoids are associated with shifting slippage? Also how do you change the transmission oil filter? I have no clue where to start looking. Please help!

louisville57
05-21-2012, 07:43 PM
it gets stuck at 40, then after a while it will get past and then get stuck at 60.

bricooper78
05-21-2012, 08:16 PM
it's going into gear smooth, but is having a hard time shifting between 1, 2, and 3, right?

TDavis
05-21-2012, 08:42 PM
I had this problem with my 2000 GA GT but it only shifted hard after a while of driving.

The problem was I needed a new Torque Converter which pretty much acts like the clutch in automatic cars. After they installed it I noticed it shifted ALOT smoother even without having to drive for a while, it did shift a little hard even when just starting it up but I didn't notice that until I started to drive with a new torque converter.

louisville57
05-21-2012, 08:46 PM
it's going into gear smooth, but is having a hard time shifting between 1, 2, and 3, right?

im pretty sure. I drove it a while back. I mean it would shift but it would rev up and go up but then slip back down to the previous gear or just have a hard time shifting up. Im having a hard time remembering exactly. he said it acted like your stating.

AaronGTR
05-21-2012, 08:55 PM
It's kinda hard to tell exactly what it could be. If it's a lazy or soft shift only into a certain gear, I would say it's possibly a cracked accumulator piston. They are plastic so they can get brittle and crack with age. It could possibly be a bad solenoid, but those will often throw a code. If all the shifts are slow or soft, it could be the torque convertor, or it could be a weak pump. There are actual clutch plates inside the trans for each gear too (separate from the torque convertor), and those are known to wear out over time or with increased HP.

I would say first thing to try is just a filter change and new fluid. You have to drop the pan on the bottom of the trans to drain it. It can be a little messy, but if you let one corner down first it should mostly drain towards that side. Take the pan off and the gasket and clean the mating surfaces. The filter is inside a sort of plastic case that fits in the trans right above the pan and just presses up on an intake tube. I believe there's on O-ring on it too. Just pull it off and push the new one on, put a new gasket on the pan, and torque the bolts to spec. Refill with what the owners manual says, then warm it up, check the level and top it off. There are directions on here on how to do that.

louisville57
05-21-2012, 09:06 PM
i think it may have been throwing some codes. I'll try and drive it down the street to get it checked and also see how its acting tomorrow.

louisville57
05-22-2012, 12:11 PM
was just told that my uncle changed the filter and refilled the trans. would the next thing be to look at the solenoids?

louisville57
05-24-2012, 04:12 PM
anybody?

HOYS
05-24-2012, 04:31 PM
It's kinda hard to tell exactly what it could be. If it's a lazy or soft shift only into a certain gear, I would say it's possibly a cracked accumulator piston. They are plastic so they can get brittle and crack with age. It could possibly be a bad solenoid, but those will often throw a code. If all the shifts are slow or soft, it could be the torque convertor, or it could be a weak pump. There are actual clutch plates inside the trans for each gear too (separate from the torque convertor), and those are known to wear out over time or with increased HP.

I would say first thing to try is just a filter change and new fluid. You have to drop the pan on the bottom of the trans to drain it. It can be a little messy, but if you let one corner down first it should mostly drain towards that side. Take the pan off and the gasket and clean the mating surfaces. The filter is inside a sort of plastic case that fits in the trans right above the pan and just presses up on an intake tube. I believe there's on O-ring on it too. Just pull it off and push the new one on, put a new gasket on the pan, and torque the bolts to spec. Refill with what the owners manual says, then warm it up, check the level and top it off. There are directions on here on how to do that.

Why don't we wait till OP says if he has any MIL's and go from there. It might be something as simple as a faulty IAT....

nivek98
05-24-2012, 08:44 PM
Might Check the CAT make sure it isn't cloggin' up on you...

louisville57
05-24-2012, 10:54 PM
Why don't we wait till OP says if he has any MIL's and go from there. It might be something as simple as a faulty IAT....

MIL's? and whats the IAT? sorry guys I have a jeep myself and don't understand the lingo yet. haha.

blckgagt
05-25-2012, 07:40 AM
Iat = intake air temperature
Mil = malfunction Indicator lamp

louisville57
05-25-2012, 08:36 AM
Alright guys had a chance to drive it to Advance Auto. I Reverses fine. I can slam on the gas and it does nothing, just a steady and slow acceleration. It would only go to about 20-25mph. I would have to slowly press the pedal to pick up the speed. After that I could get it to about 30mph. All through the car's driving it would act like it was fixing to just stop and cut off, like a loss of power.

The codes that it was throwing were P0122, P0171, P0404 (If I am reading the lady's handwriting right) the 122 has something to do with the throttle? 171 with the Bank something? and the 404 with the exhaust? Can you guys help me figure out how to fix these and tell me if these would help fix the problem the car is having?

Thank you guys for all your help!

HOYS
05-25-2012, 09:06 AM
P0122 does have to do with a faulty throttle position sensor. It normally sends the PCM a voltage between 0-5 to determine the position of the throttle plate. Your TPS has failed and has showed the computer a signal of 0.1 volts for more than 1 second, replace your TPS.

P0171 is a lean code. Without more information I can't diagnose this properly online.

P0404 has to do with your EGR (Exhaust Gas Re-circulation) valve. There is a laundry list of things to check before just replacing the EGR.

Here is a video that might help you out with fixing the EGR.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bt5lRTt6BsU

louisville57
05-25-2012, 10:15 AM
I just changed the TPS and it has the get up again, but when I go up a hill it feels like its losing power, actually gets slower. And its having a hard time shifting up, I floor it and it now revs pretty quickly, not a fast as it should IMO but quickly. The RPMs go high and the car just barely increases speed.