transmission--PLEASE HELP [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : transmission--PLEASE HELP

buddy4679
05-23-2012, 08:47 AM
My 02 GT has a random issue with the trans where it will be shifting nice and smooth and then start shifting hard. At first I thought it may be the mount...but if the mount were bad wouldnt it shift hard ALL the time? Any ideas what it might be?? Does this sound like something serious or should I be ok with it the way it is??

juanvan
05-23-2012, 11:19 AM
Check vacuum lines by the MAF see if anything is disconnected or a hose that needs to be replaced.

blckgagt
05-23-2012, 01:47 PM
Won't the tps cause this issue as well if it's going bad?

buddy4679
05-24-2012, 01:14 PM
where is the tps located and how hard is it to replace?

juanvan
05-24-2012, 01:21 PM
Bottom of the throttle body 2 screws
Here is a lame video but it gives ya the idea.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lve3zFg6-jk

blckgagt
05-24-2012, 01:49 PM
Haha same video I used not long ago....

buddy4679
05-24-2012, 03:42 PM
and a bad tps would make it shift hard sometimes and not other, totally random???

HOYS
05-24-2012, 04:40 PM
and a bad tps would make it shift hard sometimes and not other, totally random???

Do you have any check engine lights on?

buddy4679
05-25-2012, 08:24 AM
no CEL

buddy4679
05-29-2012, 01:36 PM
replaced TPS, but dont really notice a TON of difference in performance. Its very slight. I am not getting the super hard shifts, but like I said previously...they are random. Would my next step be to drain the fluid, change the filter and gasket and refill???

sugar ray
05-29-2012, 11:55 PM
replaced TPS, but dont really notice a TON of difference in performance. Its very slight. I am not getting the super hard shifts, but like I said previously...they are random. Would my next step be to drain the fluid, change the filter and gasket and refill???

My 02 was doing the SAME thing with NO codes. I hit a wrecking yard and got a TPS for next to nothing as I didn't want to spent a lot guessing. It has been fine ever since and that was over 2 years ago. So ya.....my TPS was bad and ya.....a faulty TPS will cause the randomness. If your TPS was bad and you have replaced it with a known good one then no you won't notice any difference in performance. If it takes away the random hard shifts then you solved your issue.

As for the gasket and filter change....most people decide to do this only when they start having transmission issues. Why?? I don't know. If you run a tight maintenance ship then this should be a regular interval change. Not needed nearly as much as an oil change but always a good idea to change out your tranny oil ever second year or so. Unless your tranny is extremely low on fluid just a fresh change will 99.9% of the time "never" cure a transmission problem. If you do decide that now is a good time to replace the tranny filter and fluid then I highly recommend investing a mere $4 bucks and installing a drain plug on your pan for future ease. Trust me....you will appreciate having one after draing the stock fluid. No matter how carefull you are, you always seem to go for a bath in tranny oil with no drain plug

Sounds to me like a TPS issue or a vacuum issue. However, one would think, a vacuum issue would be constant not random.

My money is on a bad TPS.

let us know..........

buddy4679
05-30-2012, 08:16 AM
Replaced the TPS with a brand new one from Advance Auto. As far as the vacuum leak goes...I dont hear or notice any...and just had the intake gaskets replaced so of those parts on top were just R&I by a trusted mechanic. He went over everything pretty good. Doesnt mean it cant be there...but I certainly dont expect him to miss something like that nor do I notice one myself.

I have yet to change the fluid in this car as I have only had it a little less than 2 years. I bought it from a friend who said she was up on the maintenance...but yeah...she is an idiot. So I am guessing that changing the fluid might not be a bad idea.

WidbyJ
05-30-2012, 12:17 PM
Considering the auto trans is a "sealed unit" most people never have it serviced until there is a 'problem' such as what you are experiencing. Drop the pan, change the filter and refill should help and cannot hurt at this point. Do NOT pay to have it 'flushed' as this usually promotes failure on these units. If you can afford it changing to Dex6 helps a lot...

buddy4679
05-30-2012, 12:55 PM
Ive been thinking about changing the fluid since I got it but have just never tackled it. I dont drive the car all the time...so I never thought it would get too serious. GM has a way of making it difficult to DIY but Im thinking its time.

Thanks everyone for all your help.

DaRkWaVe
06-01-2012, 12:55 AM
My transmission was acting weird, also. I thought it was on its last leg. Changing the filter and fluid did nothing for me. My car jumped a bit every time I started it and most times when it shifted. Sometimes it would take a long time to kick into gear. I took a CLOSE look at my rear transmission mount and it was completely seperated from the rubber. It was hard to notice by just glancing at it with all the other tubes and wires in the way, but no doubt about it was a torn mount. I replaced it two days ago and I feel like I have a new transmission.

buddy4679
06-01-2012, 07:46 AM
Does anyone know the part number for the mounts? Im sure they have never been changed and it wouldnt hurt to change them. Also, what would explain a less responsive almost weaker feeling transmission....simply age? It just doesnt have that "bite" when you get on it like I know it should.

luluxiu
06-03-2012, 10:03 PM
If you Tenants Purchase Scheme is bad, you have replaced it with a known good is not so you will not notice any difference in performance. If it takes away the random changes in the hard drive, then you solve your problem.

buddy4679
06-05-2012, 11:19 AM
If you Tenants Purchase Scheme is bad, you have replaced it with a known good is not so you will not notice any difference in performance. If it takes away the random changes in the hard drive, then you solve your problem.

Say Whaaaaaaaaaaaaa?

juanvan
06-05-2012, 11:42 AM
Google translate?
LMFAO though

buddy4679
06-05-2012, 11:50 AM
I dont even think Google could translate that!! Any other suggestions on things to do or check??

juanvan
06-05-2012, 11:59 AM
You need a set of transmission mounts?

buddy4679
06-05-2012, 12:00 PM
I havent gotten under the car to check them out. Im assuming it wouldnt hurt since I doubt they have every been done!

juanvan
06-05-2012, 12:02 PM
how many miles on them

buddy4679
06-05-2012, 02:35 PM
car has 165k miles

DaRkWaVe
06-06-2012, 06:46 PM
It has been a week since I replaced my rear mount and the car feels great. I understand this might not be the cause of the problem you are having, but I figured I would try to help anyway. Here is a pic. I have yet to see a pic of a shot transmission mount on this site, so I hope this helps some other folks using the Search to understand better.