oil leak [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : oil leak

jd99gagt
05-25-2012, 07:21 AM
On to the next problem.....I checked around where the lim gaskets meets with the cylinder heads/where the sealant goes and it appears that there's no oil coming out of there. I saw it dripping on top of the starter and then comes off of that from there. It wasn't leaking oil before, I checked the oil the other day and it was barely on the dipstick before I was seeing a leak. I thought it might have been because I only did 1 oil change after I ran engine flush and that stuff seems to make the oil evaporate a little. Anyway, I added more. It got low again, I added more again. I just noticed it leaking in my driveway last night,seems to only do it when it's running. I checked it after that 3 times last night/this morning and the oil seems to be at a steady level,did spill some under the hood yesterday but I doubt it was that much. It's probably gonna read low again. Gonna take it for a spin and see it what it leaves me knowing. 2001 GA GT coupe(LA1) 144,547 I drove it over 500 miles since I replaced the LIM/UIM/VC gaskets, seems to run pretty solid, I wanna keep fixing it.

chris_gt_74
05-25-2012, 07:34 AM
Check your valve covers if your sure the LIM valley's are good. Those are the only real leak spots I can think of after an LIM replacement. Well other than the oil filter and oil pan bolt which I assume are tight lol.

jd99gagt
05-25-2012, 10:25 AM
checked it again after about 30 miles,oil still reading good. Can stiil see it dripping off of the oil pan. Can't see it dripping on to the starter anymore. Oil drain is snug,filter is snug

chris_gt_74
05-25-2012, 06:55 PM
Maybe your pan is leaking.

jd99gagt
05-26-2012, 10:11 AM
From what I can see there is no oil around the valve cover or lim gasket

jd99gagt
05-27-2012, 12:09 PM
How common is it for the oil pan gasket to fail? I really don't think it's coming from anywhere else.

chris_gt_74
05-27-2012, 05:35 PM
How common is it for the oil pan gasket to fail? I really don't think it's coming from anywhere else.

Probably depends if it has been removed or replaced before honestly but I doubt it would just fail just because. You could check the bolts to be sure they are torqued right. I've never completely torn a 3400 apart but an external oil leak should be fairly easy to find. But you should degrease the engine to help you locate the leak. I could be missing a gasket to check but from the bottom of the engine you have a front and rear oil seal, pan gasket, oil pan bolt, dipstick gasket, oil filter, oil sender, lim gasket valley's, and the valve cover gaskets. Someone add to that if I missed any.

jd99gagt
06-03-2012, 03:13 PM
I still haven't resolved this, I've been lazy and adding qts in whenever it needs and I have to use it,getting sick of seeing mini oil stains. It really hasn't been running bad other than that besides the rubber pcv piece behind the engine that has a small crack in it, but the ses light seems to stay off most of the time even with it like that but you can still hear the whistle w/ hood open. Any similar experience anyone may have on the oil leak will be usefull before I run it and get under to check it out when this weather backs off, that just gives me some useful starting points regardless where it's coming from.Thnx in advance. Thnx to chrisgt74 for all you've suggested,those are really the main starting points to check out but like I mentioned no oil around vc or lim gaskets(that I can see).I'm figuring I'd probably see it without having to rip everything apart again since it all up top just a tad covered up. Still considering oil filter but I clearly remember seeing no old gasket off the old one and I always remember to lube filter seal.

chris_gt_74
06-03-2012, 03:26 PM
Look into some uv dye for the oil and grab you a black light. That will definitely pinpoint your leak.

jd99gagt
06-03-2012, 04:05 PM
great, where do I get that?

chris_gt_74
06-03-2012, 04:53 PM
great, where do I get that?

Google search this "engine oil uv dye" and you should be able to locate a cheap one from a reputable company.

locoman99
06-03-2012, 04:59 PM
Napa carries it i know..other parts stores prob do too.

lone_wolf025
06-03-2012, 07:19 PM
Might also be a bad o-ring on the oil pump drive shaft. Those things leak all the time since the V6 engines were designed with distributors in mind. Now that those are of the past the rings go bad and leak onto the lower intake manifold and eventually drip down the side of the oil pan. I actually have that leak myself right now.

jd99gagt
06-06-2012, 11:31 AM
I found it, it was where the oil psi gauge connects to the block.It was loose. If anyone else has oil leaking onto and of the starter this is where it is coming from.