coolant gone fast what could it be? [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : coolant gone fast what could it be?

surfermatt95
05-28-2012, 06:40 PM
i did my head gaskets, lim and uim gaskets, theres no obvious puddles or leaks , on a side note my water pump which was replaced not too long ago by previous owner seems to have a leak but tiny, when the car is started the water pump wheel will send small bits of water up in the air, a little more than a mist but that wouldnt explain the coolant disappearing , i looked at oil stick no different color looked under pcv and oil cap and im not sure what to do next and its not coolant, but just regular water

chris_gt_74
05-28-2012, 09:12 PM
i did my head gaskets, lim and uim gaskets, theres no obvious puddles or leaks , on a side note my water pump which was replaced not too long ago by previous owner seems to have a leak but tiny, when the car is started the water pump wheel will send small bits of water up in the air, a little more than a mist but that wouldnt explain the coolant disappearing , i looked at oil stick no different color looked under pcv and oil cap and im not sure what to do next and its not coolant, but just regular water

Are you sure it didn't have a large amount of air in the system that displaced after running a little while giving the appearance of a leak because the level dropped?

surfermatt95
05-28-2012, 09:56 PM
i will try again, but every morning its down as low

chris_gt_74
05-28-2012, 10:17 PM
i will try again, but every morning its down as low

I know this is worst case but have you considered a head gasket leak? The coolant could be exiting through the exhaust. But you would generally misfire from that. See if you can rig up a catch bottle under your overflow hose on the coolant tank. Maybe you are only losing coolant when you drive it which could explain no puddle.

surfermatt95
05-29-2012, 11:15 AM
I know this is worst case but have you considered a head gasket leak? The coolant could be exiting through the exhaust. But you would generally misfire from that. See if you can rig up a catch bottle under your overflow hose on the coolant tank. Maybe you are only losing coolant when you drive it which could explain no puddle.

i havent driven it, its not registered and i just replaced the head gaskets, i just started it up put heat on and put it on #4 setting where fan didnt kick on and i bled it , revved it and checked level, filled it tip top, the thermostat opened up later and pushing the extra water out of overflow and the car maintained 200 just sitting there idling