...stupid coolant leak. [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : ...stupid coolant leak.

Marschmellau
05-30-2012, 09:43 AM
So, Long story short.. I've got a coolant "leak". After driving my car for a bit, usually ~60miles round trip, coolant decides it wants to pour out of my overflow. Not just a tiny bit, but damn near half of the reservoir empties out. We originally thought it was the water pump, as it was on the passengers side and all on my serp belt.. but I actually got to see it pour out of the overflow. I just replaced the thermostat about a month+ ago. I put in a 195F. My boyfriend who also owns a GA said that it could possibly be the head gasket or the thermostat warped again.. I'm just hoping it's the thermostat. Are there any other possibilities of what could be causing coolant to come out of the overflow besides the headgasket/thermostat? ~_~

I've only had the damn car since March '12.. argh.

chris_gt_74
05-30-2012, 10:59 AM
It very well could be a head gasket. Over flow from the tank like that is sometimes a sign exhaust is pressurizing the cooling system. It happened to me as well shortly after buying my grand am a few years ago. But I was also getting random misfires and a ces light on occasion. Mine was on cylinder #1 and after taking it apart the head gasket was still intact but not sealed completely likely to improper torque on the head bolts or the previous owner reusing the head bolts which is a no no.

It's worth checking out for sure whether it is the gaskets or something else.

UndeadGods
05-30-2012, 07:02 PM
Sounds like the pressure isn't okay in the coolant system. Could be a leak, but it's most likely a bigger problem like a head gasket. Should really check that out asap.