Odd engine problem [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Odd engine problem

greddy2race
05-30-2012, 04:28 PM
I have a 99 Grand am GT1 sedan, it has been having this engine problem. It has been stalling, or trouble starting when hot. It is also overheating but thats a different issue all together. I have a video that shows what it is doing. I'm am just confused. Not sure if its an electrical problem, or an air/fuel problem....
Please help

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WPH0oIwrDNc&feature=youtu.be

AaronGTR
05-30-2012, 04:40 PM
could be a lot of things. That isn't much to go on.

I'd start looking for head gasket leaks, clogged catalytic convertor, and things like that. Might want to pull the spark plugs and see what they look like. Could be getting a bad misfire maybe. And get the computer checked for trouble codes. You also have the brake and ABS lights on, but those should be unrelated to the engine problems.

greddy2race
05-30-2012, 04:46 PM
Well I just got this car today and driving it home one of the coolant hoses in the back came off, and then the stuttering happened and I got it home before it got too hot. But when I would come to a light or need to stop it would stall. The only way I kept it running was by holding the rpms at about 2k. All of this takes place parked not driving. Also had a strange symptom where my heater was blowing cold air, not normal outside temp air but it felt like a/c cold air, and my a/c needs recharged.

UndeadGods
05-30-2012, 06:57 PM
Did u replace the hose? I'm assuming that the hose that you are talking about is the heater core hose.

Did you top up the coolant afterwards?
Did you lose any coolant?
Did you bleed the system for air bubbles?

greddy2race
05-30-2012, 07:50 PM
I believe it was the heater core hose and I reattached it, it just came undone. But I tried to bleed the system but my car doesn't run long enough to do it myself. That's the problem I'm having. I noticed the battery light comes on for a split second when it stutters.

greddy2race
05-31-2012, 04:27 PM
ok well found out the bleeder valve was leaking, so replaced that and re bled the system now everything works fine, including the engine stutter... odd, but now the ses light is on with an o2 sensor problem. I guess it'll always have something going on.

UndeadGods
05-31-2012, 10:33 PM
ok well found out the bleeder valve was leaking, so replaced that and re bled the system now everything works fine, including the engine stutter... odd, but now the ses light is on with an o2 sensor problem. I guess it'll always have something going on.

Welcome to owning a Grand Am lol.

Did you get your car scanned by an OBDII?

DaRkWaVe
05-31-2012, 11:46 PM
My car ran like that after I did a head gasket change. I put my fist through a wall because I thought the motor was ruined, but it turned out I forgot to clean the coolant/oil jelly out of my PCV valve. Good times.

greddy2race
06-01-2012, 03:28 PM
I did get it scanned but it came up no definition.... but the auto zone guy said something about a O2 sensor malfunction, but that happened after I fixed the bleeder valve.

locoman99
06-01-2012, 03:38 PM
I did get it scanned but it came up no definition.... but the auto zone guy said something about a O2 sensor malfunction, but that happened after I fixed the bleeder valve.

prob bad heater in the 02...does it stumble when cold and run good when warmed up?

greddy2race
06-01-2012, 09:06 PM
Yes it does actually, so replacing the O2 sensor should help

locoman99
06-01-2012, 09:50 PM
Yes it does actually, so replacing the O2 sensor should help

yep. It needs replaced. Soak it with wd-40 or pb blaster and let it soak a few hours cold and it will make it come out alot easier.

greddy2race
06-28-2012, 07:22 PM
Still having the starting issue, now coupled with a charging issue. Battery keeps running down so I need to get it jumped. I have a new alternator and a new battery and it keeps happening. When I try to start it, the car cranks but it doesn't want to start. And now when driving at night the battery dies very quickly, it seems like all the electronics are being run by the battery and the alternator isn't doing anything.

Any ideas on these issues?

locoman99
06-28-2012, 07:32 PM
Still having the starting issue, now coupled with a charging issue. Battery keeps running down so I need to get it jumped. I have a new alternator and a new battery and it keeps happening. When I try to start it, the car cranks but it doesn't want to start. And now when driving at night the battery dies very quickly, it seems like all the electronics are being run by the battery and the alternator isn't doing anything.

Any ideas on these issues?

Im guessing the o2 fixed the cold stumble? First "new" does nt always mean good. Cheap chinese reman alts are often bad out of the box. First take it to a parts store and get it tested...

greddy2race
06-28-2012, 07:36 PM
yes o2 sensor fixed that and it doesn't run super rich anymore, but I guess I will have o get this one tested now, my old one was doing the exact same thing and it tested ok but still.

Kayaus
06-28-2012, 07:45 PM
Does your GA always run that hot??? The hottest I've ever seen my block get is like 220, but it usually always goes back down to ~200.

greddy2race
06-28-2012, 07:50 PM
It used to run that hot now it averages about 190, unless i try to use the a/c or heat, it sends it over the top when I turn the air on.... I don't know why.

locoman99
06-28-2012, 07:55 PM
yes o2 sensor fixed that and it doesn't run super rich anymore, but I guess I will have o get this one tested now, my old one was doing the exact same thing and it tested ok but still.

Then u can prob eliminate the alt as your cause. All you cables and grounds good?

greddy2race
06-28-2012, 07:58 PM
The grounds are all good but I haven't had time to check all the connections with a voltmeter yet.

UndeadGods
06-28-2012, 08:08 PM
It used to run that hot now it averages about 190, unless i try to use the a/c or heat, it sends it over the top when I turn the air on.... I don't know why.

Is the coolant level okay?

greddy2race
06-28-2012, 08:29 PM
Coolant level is full and the system has been bled. If I turn on the heater it blows hot air but the jumping from the video is still prevalent. If the blower is not turned on the car runs fine. Still dealing with the starting issue first. If it won't start then I have no need to worry about the blower overheating my car.

UndeadGods
06-28-2012, 09:31 PM
Did you check the starter for corrosion? + get it tested?

greddy2race
06-28-2012, 09:45 PM
not yet I guess that's next on the list

AaronGTR
06-28-2012, 10:08 PM
Im guessing the o2 fixed the cold stumble? First "new" does nt always mean good. Cheap chinese reman alts are often bad out of the box. First take it to a parts store and get it tested...

That won't do any good. Those auto part store testers are garbage. All they do is test to see if the alt is putting out power. They don't measure how much, and they can't test the voltage regulator which is usually the part that goes bad.

Exactly what happened to my alternator. Took it out and the auto parts store tested and said it was good. Put it back in the car... same problem. Driving at night for a while with the headlights, A/C, and radio on... and the lights started fluttering and battery light came on. The voltage reg on the alt was bad and not increasing the output with extra load placed on it. As soon as I'd start running accessories it would slow drain the battery of charge. I verified by hooking up a digital multi-meter inside the car with the engine running and watching the voltage level. It dropped every time I turned something on until it hit 11.5v. Got a brand new alt with a lifetime replacement warranty from advance auto parts, and that fixed the problem.

Now that is really strange. If you turn the A/C on, it should automatically turn on the low speed fans and make the car run cooler. It does with mine. And the heat... there is always coolant going through the heater core, and the effect would be minimal, but when you turn the heat on you start circulating air through the core and should technically be shedding more heat from the coolant. Neither one of those should cause the heat to go up. Something really weird is going on.

UndeadGods
06-29-2012, 05:09 AM
^ I agree. Temperature sensor or thermostat bad maybe?

greddy2race
07-03-2012, 11:57 AM
I don't think its the thermostat, cause if I don't use the air the hottest it gets is maybe 210. It runs just fine otherwise. But right now I'm out of money for a little while and the car won't start at all. It cranks but won't start. Tried it while getting a jump and cranked for 5 minutes with no luck. Battery is drained again.