Broken Window guides [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Broken Window guides

Ground Hugger
06-02-2012, 11:22 AM
OK the widow guides, the ones that hold the glass in place, on my drivers side window broke off flat at the bottom. I have ordered new ones to replace them. How do I remove the epoxy off of the old ones to get them off the glass? Also what would cause them to break? What else should I look for as a cause? Everything works OK so what could be wrong?

unchained_01
06-02-2012, 12:54 PM
They are thermo plastic and go thru alot of hot and cold cycles and the glass is curves putting more isde to side force on the clips Your best bet is to remove the glass and mark the spots where they are on the glass with tape or a marker and use a heat gun or some steel wire (or guitar string) to cut the epoxy/urethane and reverse the process
Dont worry the clips lasted almost 10 yrs !!!

MAC the KNIFE
06-02-2012, 08:26 PM
i took the window completely out and laid it on foam pads. i got the old glue off by using a glass scraping razor blade. make sure to mark where to stick the new window guides before you remove all the glue.
i used jb kwik weld on the new clip. and i found the clips at autozone.

Ground Hugger
06-13-2012, 10:54 AM
Thanks for the reply guys! Just got my new clips today. Will get some JB Weld-kwik. Wont be the first time I've had this door apart!