What did I do wrong? DRL Mod [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : What did I do wrong? DRL Mod

Pintobean11
06-02-2012, 03:09 PM
I did everything that was said to in the How To but I went to drive my car and the SVS light instantly came on and hasn't turned off all day. I know for a fact my car is a 2000 so I don't need to second wire but everything looks okay doesn't it?

http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t320/pintobean11/SAM_0353.jpg
http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t320/pintobean11/SAM_0354.jpg

Pintobean11
06-02-2012, 03:09 PM
I'm using a speaker wire, that couldn't cause it to not work though right?

Shade2012
06-02-2012, 03:16 PM
I just did this mod yesterday. I used the light bulb socket screw as a ground, and didnt use speaker wire. That may be your problem. Change the wire and see if it works.

AaronGTR
06-02-2012, 04:21 PM
Uh, yeah.... that isn't a ground. It's a metal bracket, but it's not connected to anything but plastic. No where for the electricity to go. You need to attach it to something connected to the metal frame behind the dash. That is grounded to the chassis.

Pintobean11
06-02-2012, 04:28 PM
That was it. For the reference it is best to use the light bulb socket screw. As I was walking out I did remember that brass is non conducive.

I did not ground it to the plastic, it's grounded between the plate of metal and what I realize now is a brass screw.

AaronGTR
06-02-2012, 06:41 PM
The brass screw doesn't have anything to do with it though. It's still touching the metal plate. You didn't understand what I said before though. That metal plate... all it's doing is bracing those plastic pieces. It doesn't touch the dash frame anywhere... hence it's not grounded. ;) It doesn't matter if something is metal or not, if it isn't attached to something that will let electricity flow back to the battery.

the slightly rusted metal in the foreground of your picture there... the brackets holding the BCM and the light and the tube that they are welded to... those are part of the dash frame, which is bolted to the chassis. Anywhere you bolt something that makes contact with that frame will be grounded.