Quick Exhaust Question [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Quick Exhaust Question

silver01GT
06-04-2012, 02:26 PM
Hey everyone I want to finish upgrading my exhaust on my 01 GT but I'm not too sure on what I should do..

I got a flowmaster 80 series 2.5 cat-back with custom tips so far, my engine has CAI, MMS tune, 180* thermostat and plugs/wires..I've been looking into TBs as well and I don't intend on doing much more to my motor either

What should I do to finish up my exhaust to suit my engine?

AaronGTR
06-04-2012, 04:01 PM
Headers would be the best thing you could get, since they are one of the largest power gainers on these engines, but they are also expensive and/or hard to find right now. Milzy's headers are nice but not cheap, and pacesetters are crap and not even worth buying IMO, and you can't get TOG's or S&S anymore unless you find someone selling a used set.

With that in mind, I would recommend a high flow cat, or an entire down pipe replacement with a high flow cat. Really that's the only thing left you can do if you already have a cat-back exhaust. That's assuming your cat-back exhaust is half way decent and made with mandrel bends and not cheap crush bent piping. I do believe Milzy also sells a high flow down pipe on his store. That and a bigger TB would make a little more power before you would have to delve into the engine itself to make more.

silver01GT
06-04-2012, 04:42 PM
Thanks man, I heard about pacesetters being craptastic and I'm no fan of used parts so ill pay tha extra pennies for a set from MMS...

Also I had my catback done by a professional with a pretty good performance exhaust and brakes rep and I know what good pipes look like too so I think that's good

The only thing that's stopping me from tearing into my motor is the simple fact that its a slushbox (auto) and MT swaps costs too much and I don't have that knowledge yet to do it myself so I'm just going to stick with bolt ons and a tune lol and call it a day.