Help removing U.I.M.? [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Help removing U.I.M.?

BJPbrandon2448
06-06-2012, 11:18 AM
Hey guys im having a VERY difficult time gaining access to this final bolt that I need to get off in order to remove my upper intake manifold... I have a few pics that arent the best quality but I hop someone can give me some insight on how to get to this bolt, which is seriously pissing me off!!! here are the pics...
http://i1203.photobucket.com/albums/bb385/BJPbrandon2448/IMG_4135.jpg
http://i1203.photobucket.com/albums/bb385/BJPbrandon2448/IMG_4134.jpg
http://i1203.photobucket.com/albums/bb385/BJPbrandon2448/IMG_4133.jpg

Thanks guys, I hope someone can help me, there are like 2 threaded bolts that go into the back of that black box that are really tiny. I was going to remove those but wasnt sure if that was the right thing to do? I suck... ;crap

HOYS
06-06-2012, 11:21 AM
7mm to remove the MAP sensor, you have to remove it to get to the bolt. Also you might want to loosen the nuts on the studs holding the bottom of the coil pack to the cylinder head.

BJPbrandon2448
06-06-2012, 11:26 AM
okay then back to work Hoys... would those be the 2 bolts that I was reffering to in the back then? I think I measured them up and they were a 7mm?

HOYS
06-06-2012, 11:51 AM
The tiny screw things holding the MAP sensor on to that black bracket are 7mm

The nuts on the stud (lol) that hold the coil pack bracket down are 13mm

shiwnath
06-06-2012, 12:27 PM
Also if you want to make your life a whole lot easier, keep the EGR on the manifold instead of removing it. When Reinstalling the manifold and EGR, it's easier to have the EGR bolted to the manifold and bolt the EGR tube to the EGR before you reinstall the manifold. I learned this after I replaced my manifold :(

BJPbrandon2448
06-06-2012, 12:30 PM
Colin, Im a complete dumbass for attempting to do this project on my own!!! lol... Im such as newb! I guess the good thing is that I managed to get the U.I.M. off now... The bad news... Im not sure if im ever gonna be able to put her back together again... :( I need help its such a mess of wires now!!! Those bolts on the MAP sensor were stripped, I could see the threads on the bolt were spinning but it wasnt going anywhere. So I managed to get a wrench down underneath it to get the bolt off without removing the sensor! Im so screwed!!! Perhaps I just need to calm down and think things through, re-assemble is gonna be a BITCH... Im lost!

chris_gt_74
06-06-2012, 02:35 PM
Reassembly is not hard at all. Just keep up with all your parts and if you run into issues on where something goes just ask. Many of us have tore these engines apart and it's like second nature to us. On that map sensor with the 2 7mm bolts, you can get those out still. Just apply some gentle pressure with a flat head screwdriver between the bracket and the map sensor while unscrewing it and it should come out. Just don't break it lol.

DaRkWaVe
06-06-2012, 05:24 PM
Don't worry man, you can do it. I suggest taking notes and taking lots of pictures. It seems like a lot of work, but it's not so bad. Make sure you tighten everything down to the correct torque. Do it right the first time and you won't find yourself doing it again in a month after it starts leaking again due to under/over torqued bolts.

UndeadGods
06-06-2012, 09:56 PM
When I ripped mine off, I found it a lot easier if you take out the air box/hose to gain access to the bolts on the EGR + throttle body.

BJPbrandon2448
06-06-2012, 11:45 PM
Well ive officially managed to get the U.I.M. off now... its just the re-install of my ported one which scares me! Is there anything specific that I should look for that is out of the ordinary while the U.I.M. is off? Should I clean anything? And is it necessary to use gasket sealer with the new gaskets? Thanks guys you will probably here back from me tomorrow since I dont think this re-install will be a walk in the park!

HOYS
06-07-2012, 12:55 AM
Well ive officially managed to get the U.I.M. off now... its just the re-install of my ported one which scares me! Is there anything specific that I should look for that is out of the ordinary while the U.I.M. is off? Should I clean anything? And is it necessary to use gasket sealer with the new gaskets? Thanks guys you will probably here back from me tomorrow since I dont think this re-install will be a walk in the park!

Lol dude, like I said just call me and I'd be happy to answer your questions. I type a good bit of stuff every day and I don't want to type how to install an UIM lololol

BJPbrandon2448
06-07-2012, 07:52 AM
Lol dude, like I said just call me and I'd be happy to answer your questions. I type a good bit of stuff every day and I don't want to type how to install an UIM lololol

haha... I know right? I can not allow myself to fail on this project or else I will never attempt anything motor wise again! :) Thats why im a detailing guy, I know how to approach every problem. On the way to advance auto to purchase a few things...

jd99gagt
06-07-2012, 09:11 AM
small 8mm wrench take off the coil pack.

BJPbrandon2448
06-07-2012, 02:11 PM
Well ive managed to get the new UIM on... now I must pray to god that it wont leak!!! I was having issues getting the gaskets to lay completely flat because those stupid spark plug holders were being a pain to line up with the holes! What are the torque specs of the bolts supposed to be? I went to connect the egr and dropped one of the bolts down in the engine bay somewhere, I couldnt find it!

chris_gt_74
06-07-2012, 07:49 PM
If you dropped it in the back it's probably sitting on the transmission case somewhere which is a pia to get to.

BJPbrandon2448
06-07-2012, 07:57 PM
yeah im hoping that it wont cause any damage to something being that I cant find it!!! Even more concerning is being able to find a replacement! This motor is so filthy its disturbing to me!!!

chris_gt_74
06-07-2012, 08:16 PM
Was it actually one of the manifold bolts or a different bolt? If it was you will want try and locate a replacement to make sure you don't get a vacuum leak.

BJPbrandon2448
06-07-2012, 08:43 PM
Was it actually one of the manifold bolts or a different bolt? If it was you will want try and locate a replacement to make sure you don't get a vacuum leak.

Its one of the 2 bolts that runs through the EGR gasket and bolts the EGR onto the Intake... Will I have any issue's? Cant believe I lost that F'er,

chris_gt_74
06-07-2012, 09:45 PM
Probably so but it may not be so bad to affect it badly. I mean the one single bolt may seal it enough temporarily but you need to get a 2nd one in there. Just take your bolt up to lowes or somewhere and get a bolt to use. I'm not sure of the thread size but I've had to take that route a few times from misplacing bolts.

BJPbrandon2448
06-07-2012, 10:59 PM
Probably so but it may not be so bad to affect it badly. I mean the one single bolt may seal it enough temporarily but you need to get a 2nd one in there. Just take your bolt up to lowes or somewhere and get a bolt to use. I'm not sure of the thread size but I've had to take that route a few times from misplacing bolts.

Alright well thanks Chris, I also have to get some type of line that I can use as a temporary coolant line until I get my new heater tube... For now I will have to bridge those stock tb nipple lines because the aftermarket throttle body's dont have those! Anybody handy know what size line that is? I measured it and it looked like a half inch!

chris_gt_74
06-08-2012, 03:00 PM
Alright well thanks Chris, I also have to get some type of line that I can use as a temporary coolant line until I get my new heater tube... For now I will have to bridge those stock tb nipple lines because the aftermarket throttle body's dont have those! Anybody handy know what size line that is? I measured it and it looked like a half inch!

If you can under size it a tiny bit. Mine is bridged to and was a pain to get it to not leak.