Transmission Shifts weird [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Transmission Shifts weird

keepitreal613
06-06-2012, 11:46 AM
Hello new to the site, wanted to ask a question. I bought a 2000 Grand AM GT Coup about a month ago, everything so far is good but there is a kind of a problem that popped up. When driving normal it shifts good, nothing wrong. But when I floor the gas, the rmp redlines and it takes a few seconds for it to shift. ( also after I can smell it). Do any of you know what the problem could be? Normal driving transmission has no problems that I can feel.

Thank you.

Kayaus
06-06-2012, 12:14 PM
I'm an idiot, just throwing that out there. I think it may just be the overdrive, but what the mileage?

locoman99
06-06-2012, 12:16 PM
Hello new to the site, wanted to ask a question. I bought a 2000 Grand AM GT Coup about a month ago, everything so far is good but there is a kind of a problem that popped up. When driving normal it shifts good, nothing wrong. But when I floor the gas, the rmp redlines and it takes a few seconds for it to shift. ( also after I can smell it). Do any of you know what the problem could be? Normal driving transmission has no problems that I can feel.

Thank you.

Sir.... no one is gonna accuse you of not "keeping it real"

That is called a rev limiter...its trying it best to keep you from tearing your car up.

keepitreal613
06-06-2012, 12:23 PM
lol Engine has 140.

Sir.... no one is gonna accuse you of not "keeping it real"

That is called a rev limiter...its trying it best to keep you from tearing your car up.

I dont think that is it because i have/had other automatic cars and none of them do that. Also my friend had a 2001 pontaic grand am, and his never did this.

locoman99
06-06-2012, 12:35 PM
at what rpm does this happen? Ur op stated you are redlining it.

keepitreal613
06-06-2012, 12:44 PM
at what rpm does this happen? Ur op stated you are redlining it.

Yeah at readline ...

DaRkWaVe
06-06-2012, 05:36 PM
I just replaced my rear tranny mount a week ago because it was ripped apart. If I floored it, it would redline unless I pumped my foot on the gas a slight bit to punch it into gear. I thought it was my transmission going bad, but upon inspection of my mounts, I found my rear mount was completely shot. Ever since I put the new mount in I feel like I have a new transmission. Other symptoms I had were car "jerks" whenever I started the car and shifted gears. While this might not be the solution to your problem, I do suggest you inspect the transmission mounts, especially the rear one.

keepitreal613
06-06-2012, 06:03 PM
I just replaced my rear tranny mount a week ago because it was ripped apart. If I floored it, it would redline unless I pumped my foot on the gas a slight bit to punch it into gear. I thought it was my transmission going bad, but upon inspection of my mounts, I found my rear mount was completely shot. Ever since I put the new mount in I feel like I have a new transmission. Other symptoms I had were car "jerks" whenever I started the car and shifted gears. While this might not be the solution to your problem, I do suggest you inspect the transmission mounts, especially the rear one.
the car jerks an ok amount when i put it into gears but not when i turn it on. anyways thanks i will def check that out. btw how much did it cost?

locoman99
06-06-2012, 06:11 PM
My goodness you guys need to ease up on your cars. These cars, especially those with high milage are not goin to last long being drivin the ways you are describing. These are not "performance" automobiles by any means. A stock engine has ran out of breath well before the redline and you are just floating valves and burning up your trans. You can dump 10 large under the hood of these cars and still will get spanked by most "sports cars"
Ease up on that gas pedal...it is still a grand am.

keepitreal613
06-06-2012, 06:38 PM
My goodness you guys need to ease up on your cars. These cars, especially those with high milage are not goin to last long being drivin the ways you are describing. These are not "performance" automobiles by any means. A stock engine has ran out of breath well before the redline and you are just floating valves and burning up your trans. You can dump 10 large under the hood of these cars and still will get spanked by most "sports cars"
Ease up on that gas pedal...it is still a grand am.

dude no1 is driving it like a race car, but im not a grandmother either. either way Im more worried about my it being a big problem(it fuking up)) rather than not being fast ....

LT4 trans am
06-10-2012, 05:07 AM
It could also be famous 1-2 gear creep, Its a problem almost all grand ams Ive driven or read about on the net have or have had. Not sure if this is your problem or not, but the creep problem is when you are accelerating more aggressive than normal, the car will take forever(seemingly) to shift into 2nd gear. It seems like the trans is slipping and it only happens when the engine and trans are up to operating temps. It shifts perfectly fine in all conditions when the engine is cold and the computer is in open loop, it will also shift perfect if you manually shift through the gears, even if the engine/trans are up to operating temps. That particular problem is an issue of not having enough line pressure due to a faulty pressure switch. GM has(quite awhile ago) come out with a revised pressure switch for the trans and revised valve body separator plate to correct this problem.

Not sure if thats your problem, but it is very common with these cars.

350rs
08-06-2012, 09:55 PM
It could also be famous 1-2 gear creep, Its a problem almost all grand ams Ive driven or read about on the net have or have had. Not sure if this is your problem or not, but the creep problem is when you are accelerating more aggressive than normal, the car will take forever(seemingly) to shift into 2nd gear. It seems like the trans is slipping and it only happens when the engine and trans are up to operating temps. It shifts perfectly fine in all conditions when the engine is cold and the computer is in open loop, it will also shift perfect if you manually shift through the gears, even if the engine/trans are up to operating temps. That particular problem is an issue of not having enough line pressure due to a faulty pressure switch. GM has(quite awhile ago) come out with a revised pressure switch for the trans and revised valve body separator plate to correct this problem.

Not sure if thats your problem, but it is very common with these cars.

Mine has started to do this recently (i swear if its a problem on this car i get it.. cant wait till its gone...). Question is where might i go about getting this? Is this something i can get at a parts store or do i have to get it at either a dealer or a trans. shop? Do you have part numbers or anything for it?