Fuel delivery issues.... [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Fuel delivery issues....

Bonus
06-06-2012, 03:02 PM
I have an issue with my dads Grand Am and I need the help of the experts.
Im an accomplished mechanic but this one has me stumped.
I have found that the wisdom of the guys in here is better than the dealer in a lot of instances....
Dad was driving last week and his GA just stopped running. Its a 2000 GA w/ a 2.4L(Quad 4). I shot some ether into the air cleaner and it struggled to run for a second then died. Fuel pump or power supply I thought.
I towed it home, checked all the fuses and the FP relay and all were good.
Next I dropped the tank and keyed the switch and the pump did nothing with my hand on it. I loosened the fuel filter and keyed it again and nothing from the fuel line.
I bought a new pump from Carquest and installed it. It required me to install a new modified connector, so I followed the instructions provided.
When I key it, the pump runs for a second then stops but does not pump any fuel. If I crank it, the pump runs... but it never pumps any fuel.
I used an independent 12V power supply to run the pump, and it runs, but it pumps no fuel at all to the filter.
Anyone have any ideas? Im fresh out and dad is carless...
Any thoughts would be greatly appriciated and I thank you in advance for any advice you can offer....

UndeadGods
06-06-2012, 11:05 PM
It sounds like the fuel filter is clogged. A friend's friend had a similar problem on his ford, it turned out to be a faulty fuel pump.
Did u check the fuel filter?

Bonus
06-07-2012, 09:38 PM
Yes..... I put a new filter on it with the pump. Required for warranty coverage....

UndeadGods
06-07-2012, 09:56 PM
Oh, I dont know much about these things but.. could it be the sending unit? Also, if there was a leak in the fuel line, would it cause a loss of fuel pressure? Maybe the fuel line is disconnected or broken?