Mileage fuse [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Mileage fuse

grandanns
06-06-2012, 07:38 PM
Can somebody tell me which fuse to pull so my mileage will stop going up. This is a non op registed, track car and I don't need a mileage meter.

FuriousG
06-06-2012, 07:44 PM
Seriously?!? If there were a fuse you could pull to stop it from counting mileage don't you think everyone would pull it to maintain the resale value on their cars?

Secondly, if it's not something you're ever going to sell then why do you care if it shows the mileage?

grandanns
06-06-2012, 07:52 PM
I was at the mechaincs the other day and I overheard a gentleman mention to the mechanic that he pulls a fuse on his Rv so the mileage won't go up,can't remeber the exact reason why but the mecchainc gave me one of those looks like he knew how to do it.

The mileage is way beyond what any grand am on the street would have it's been through a couple 3400s and is pushing a ugly number on the mileage meter.I would rather not see it go up any higher.

locoman99
06-06-2012, 07:56 PM
Can somebody tell me which fuse to pull so my mileage will stop going up. This is a non op registed, track car and I don't need a mileage meter.

Your milage fuse is hidden inside your bcm. It cant be removed but can be disabled by drilling a 1/4"hole in the exact center of the bcm...enjoy...lol

AaronGTR
06-06-2012, 10:18 PM
There is no such thing on this car. It can't be done, and there is no reason do it either. I don't know why you would be making a non-registered track car out of it... but if you are, who cares if the mileage goes up? Actually it would be a good idea to leave it so you know how many "track miles" you have on it, because you are still going to need to change the oil, trans fluid, brake pads etc... especially with the high wear and tear of track abuse. I hope you've upgraded the trans as well, because the stock clutches won't last long under those conditions.

Anyway, the only possible reason for wanting to disable the odometer is that you plan to beat on the car then sell it to someone later with false miles on it, and that's illegal...

UndeadGods
06-06-2012, 10:43 PM
There is no such thing on this car. It can't be done, and there is no reason do it either. I don't know why you would be making a non-registered track car out of it... but if you are, who cares if the mileage goes up? Actually it would be a good idea to leave it so you know how many "track miles" you have on it, because you are still going to need to change the oil, trans fluid, brake pads etc... especially with the high wear and tear of track abuse. I hope you've upgraded the trans as well, because the stock clutches won't last long under those conditions.

Anyway, the only possible reason for wanting to disable the odometer is that you plan to beat on the car then sell it to someone later with false miles on it, and that's illegal...

Good point, but is it possible to rip off the odometer unit so it doesnt show the miles?

I've seen some strange stuff at my work, one corolla had its odometer stuck at 299k, I worked on it plenty of times and the odometer hasnt moved in a year.
The customer said that it just stopped working one day, it was an older guy so I doubt that he screwed with it, but wth would cause that?

Also I seen a few older cars with digital odometers that didnt show the milage at all, it was just blank.
Some GM cars had a problem where half of the digital odometer would show up. The way to show the whole milage would be to press on the plastic where the odometer appears, like I said, weird stuff.

rocketfast123
06-07-2012, 08:24 AM
The only possible reason for wanting to disable the odometer is that you plan to beat on the car then sell it to someone later with false miles on it, and that's illegal...

:applause: One of the few laws I do follow.

grandanns
06-07-2012, 11:52 AM

Thanks for the first half of your post as far as the second half goes were talking striped inteiror,roll cage,no lights,beat exteiror. dirt derby hilbilly track car. with 400k plus miles which you would never even think of buying or driving on the street. You ask why because I got it for the price a a go-cart and this is alot more fun than a go cart.

AaronGTR
06-07-2012, 04:29 PM
There is still no reason to disable the odometer... even if you could.

FuriousG
06-07-2012, 08:10 PM
I think it would be more interesting to leave it and see if you can get enough miles on it to max it out.

locoman99
06-07-2012, 08:36 PM
Soooo....who has the biggest number? we have any 250000 milers on here?

rocketfast123
06-08-2012, 10:13 AM
My friend had a 99 GAGT with 294k. It was on it's second motor @260k because he let it run out of oil. 2 windows only worded, trans was tired, passenger side brakes did 80% of the work. Coolant system was full of rusty water and green stuff. ( never over heated) But the a/c worked great! He sold it 2 years ago, and i still see it riding around. The 3400 is not as bad as i thought.

TheCrownHolder
06-08-2012, 02:12 PM
something smells fishy here

fljohnboy
06-08-2012, 03:44 PM
I suppose you could just get another gauge cluster and stick it in there.

greddy2race
06-08-2012, 09:17 PM
I just got mine and it has 192k on it and still runs good with no leaks, just needs minor parts but still runs like a champ.

Smithkid21
06-08-2012, 11:25 PM
something smells fishy here

Then close your damn legs lol

[ChaosweaveR]
06-09-2012, 12:48 AM
This whole thread is wack.