Sub frame [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Sub frame

myneedforspeed
06-11-2012, 05:08 AM
Are there any differences between the sub frame between 99-00? I'm looking to buy a used one and want to make sure I won't have any problems with the fit.

I'm assuming that any sub frame from a 3.4 auto grand am from 99-05 will work

Any clarification on this would be appreciated asap

AaronGTR
06-11-2012, 03:57 PM
Nope, no difference. Only slight differences in the trans mounts between the V6/auto cars and the 4cyl/manuals.

myneedforspeed
06-11-2012, 04:21 PM
Thanks buddy. Just wanted a second opinion

locoman99
06-11-2012, 11:28 PM
I was thinking about just building a subframe up for my next engine/trans also. I was doing some research into these subframes to see if there are any issues that i need to look for and/or address. I have heard of these subframes having cracks on the ears for the steering rack. Might be something to look for when searching or address when you are building.

AaronGTR
06-12-2012, 04:11 PM
I've never heard of cracks on the brackets that hold the PS rack to the sub-frame.

locoman99
06-12-2012, 04:25 PM
Yep and snappin off too. Seen a case or two on here and when i was looking at a youtube vid of a guy changin a subframe on a ga..sure enough thats why he was changing it. I asked the guy at the shop that does my alignments and he says he has seen four or five do the same thing in recent years

Malaclypse
06-12-2012, 08:57 PM
Never seen one down here.

Must be a rust thing. Good ole steel subframes.

bigj8705
06-20-2012, 10:27 PM
Just happen too me.. Not really a Rust thing, other the being very weak design...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aL6Hm8VhGqE

Video on how to change it.

Any ideas on how to beef it up?

I don't want to buy a new subframe and have it only last 2 years and go out again..

locoman99
06-20-2012, 10:42 PM
Just happen too me.. Not really a Rust thing, other the being very weak design...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aL6Hm8VhGqE

Video on how to change it.

Any ideas on how to beef it up?

I don't want to buy a new subframe and have it only last 2 years and go out again..

Yea, that is the same video i was talking about. You are not the first that has had that happen. It seems to be happening more and more. I seen one cracked in the jy in the last week. Can you post some good pics of what happened?

AaronGTR
06-21-2012, 04:13 PM
It's not any weaker than any other designs. I worked on a BMW with an aluminum sub-frame and all the held the PS rack on was a couple aluminum tabs welded to the front of the sub-frame. Anyway I've had mine for 12 years, with stiffer springs, sway bars, etc and hard use, and no cracks yet. Every car out there can have a few failures here and there for different things. A couple of people with cracked PS mounting tabs does not an epidemic make. You might have just been unlucky and got one with a poor weld. You get a few of those when you make thousands of something.

ltpats
03-27-2013, 10:50 AM
Mine just busted yesterday on my 2004 on the drivers side where the steering rack anchors to the subframe. Dealer want's 640 bucks for a new one. Now would be the time to install e speedbuilt sway bar if they were available. lol

kzulfic
03-27-2013, 03:52 PM
Mine just busted yesterday on my 2004 on the drivers side where the steering rack anchors to the subframe. Dealer want's 640 bucks for a new one. Now would be the time to install e speedbuilt sway bar if they were available. lol

There's a group buy going on now, if you're interested post your name.
http://www.grandamgt.com/forum/showthread.php?t=89334

cutlsp
04-19-2013, 05:27 PM

Mine on my 2004 grand am busted July last year the rack blew apart too. I always thought it was from hitting a bump too hard or something. I guess the metal is too weak.