SES, Trac OFF and ABS lights [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : SES, Trac OFF and ABS lights

buddy4679
06-11-2012, 08:22 AM
Service Engine Soon, Trac OFF and ABS lights all came on together the other night. I only notice a difference in functionality when the brakes are applied hard, but under normal braking nothing seems to be different.

Can anyone tell me WTH is going on?

chris_gt_74
06-11-2012, 08:27 AM
Could be a bad wheel bearing. More specifically the sensor on the hub.

buddy4679
06-11-2012, 08:33 AM
How can I test it to know which one it is exactly?

chris_gt_74
06-11-2012, 08:45 AM
How can I test it to know which one it is exactly?

I'm not real sure how to test each one individually to be honest but if some others chime in on the problem and agree I'd go ahead and replace them both since they are likely the same age and wear. They are kinda pricey but I replaced mine last year for squealing noise and I went with the $80 one's at O'riellys. I think the front one's only have the speed sensor in question.

Kayaus
06-11-2012, 11:13 AM
Same thing happened to my 04 it was tHe front right sensor $250 to have it replaced. It still comes in every once in a whole when I shift from reverse to drive too quickly, but just restart the car an it goes away.

buddy4679
06-11-2012, 11:17 AM
Kayaus---was that $250 parts and labor?

Kayaus
06-11-2012, 11:21 AM
Yes, he had a device to see the codes, what happened is when the car turns on each of the sensors sends a code and the one triped so it was replaced I'm not sure what caused it.

buddy4679
06-11-2012, 11:24 AM
I can do the labor if it something as simple as replacing the hub/bearing assembly....

other than that being it...what other possibilities are there?

chris_gt_74
06-11-2012, 08:05 PM
The sensor is built into the hub so replacing one or both will fix it if it's a failed sensor.

DJx79x
06-11-2012, 09:09 PM
http://www.aleromod.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34924&highlight=bored

hope this helps

slw240sx
06-12-2012, 10:44 AM
just had this problem on a customers buick. ended up being a broken wire at the wheel bearing for the speed sensor. I would have fixed the wiring it if it was my car, but we chose the better option was to replace the whole bearing.

most decent code scanners can pull ABS codes and do live data on GM cars. find a shop that offers free estimates and have them scan it and tell you which sensor is bad. then do the work yourself. If they are reasonable have them do it. depends on what your times worth to yah

buddy4679
06-19-2012, 02:24 PM
I replaced BOTH front hub/bearing assemblies with the battery disconnected and the light still came back on after I buttoned it all up and took it for a test drive,....

what now?

AaronGTR
06-19-2012, 02:36 PM
I replaced BOTH front hub/bearing assemblies with the battery disconnected and the light still came back on after I buttoned it all up and took it for a test drive,....

what now?

First, disconnecting the battery won't do diddly... if the key is off there is no power to the system, and there are no settings for that which will reset or codes that will turn off if you remove power... so that was pointless.

Second, did you take the car somewhere to get the codes checked before you replaced the hubs? If not, that might not have been the problem, and you might have replaced them for nothing. It could be a rear hub, or it could be something else in the brake system all together. Need to see what code is setting first and that will give you an idea where to look.