Wire Plug [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Wire Plug

xalteph
06-14-2012, 08:24 PM
Where does this wire plug into?

chris_gt_74
06-14-2012, 08:43 PM
I'm gonna say the map sensor or even the iat. Really you need to post a better picture showing more of the engine bay to be sure.

shiwnath
06-14-2012, 08:49 PM
I'm gonna say the map sensor or even the iat..

MAP is a 3 wire round plug.. It could be an ignition coil pack plug or a PS pump electrical assist maybe?

AaronGTR
06-14-2012, 09:04 PM
Yeah, MAP sensor plug has three prongs, and is usually green. I think I can see the ignition module plug on that side plugged in already. I'm gonna say it probably goes to the power steering pump.

by the way, it would kind of help if you put the year and model of your car in the info under your user name. ;) They only had the variable assist power steering for certain years, so it's hard to say where that goes if we don't know what car you have.

chris_gt_74
06-14-2012, 09:23 PM
Yeah I couldn't remember how many pins it had. I've never seen a connector on a power steering pump. What years was that on? Judging by the picture it looks to have a lot of loom so it may not go anywhere near that area. That's why I suggested a better picture.

Malaclypse
06-14-2012, 10:35 PM
The connector to the Magnasteer solenoid on the PS pump is red.

Damnit... thought it might be IAT but its not at the right point in the harness. I think it might be like that phantom connector in the 3800s that goes to absolutely nothing. The terminal end of it is dirty looking like its never been plugged in. Either that or it goes to some kind of Air Injection part... not familiar with the Cali builds of this motor.

Or perhaps you got down to the vehicle speed sensor somehow...

locoman99
06-15-2012, 12:52 AM
The most important questions here is does the car run? Does it run right? And does everything work? Lol

UndeadGods
06-15-2012, 08:34 AM
The most important questions here is does the car run? Does it run right? And does everything work? Lol

Better question is why was it unplugged in the first place? What was being done on the car? What was taken off, etc etc

xalteph
06-15-2012, 04:27 PM
2000 Grand AM

locoman99
06-15-2012, 05:17 PM
Sure looks like your varible assist for ur ps pump. If ur pump does not have a plug, someone has changed to non va pump at some point perhaps.

AaronGTR
06-15-2012, 05:23 PM
Yeah, I can see the plug down on the PS pump so it's not that. I can't think of anything in that area with a plug with only two wires except for the one from the crank sensor on the back of the block that plugs into the ignition module. Is that one plugged in? There should be a socket for a plug on the side of the plate under the ignition coils, right there between the alternator and the coils.

Also it would help if the pic was zoomed out just a tad. All we can see is the plug and the stuff right next to it, but can't see where any of the rest of the harness is going. That might help a little.

locoman99
06-15-2012, 06:57 PM
He still hasnt said if there are any issues with the car

xalteph
06-16-2012, 07:14 PM
There should be a socket for a plug on the side of the plate under the ignition coils, right there between the alternator and the coils.

Can you give a picture?

AaronGTR
06-17-2012, 03:50 AM
I could, but you shouldn't need one. You can see the ignition coils right? They mount on a plate, which is the ignition control module. On the drivers side there are two sockets sticking out on the side that plugs on the harness go to. On the other side by the alternator, there is one socket sticking out, that one wire harness plug goes into.

If I remember correctly, that one is actually the cam signal plug. The wire from the rear crank sensor goes up the back and plugs into the other side, along the wires for the front crank sensor.

xalteph
06-22-2012, 06:25 PM

greddy2race
06-22-2012, 09:09 PM
Check and see if there is an empty plug by the coolant bleeder valve on the front side of your engine.

http://carphotos.cardomain.com/ride_images/3/1780/1821/29448410176_large.jpg

you can see the blue plug up front on the left side