2002 Grand Am SE Not turning over [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : 2002 Grand Am SE Not turning over

GrandAmProblems
06-17-2012, 10:05 PM
Hey all, I've got a question.
My 2002 Grand AM SE 3.4L V6 will not turn over 100% of the time. Sometimes if I hold the key, and let it crank it attempts to turn over 3-4 times before it finally works. Other times, it won't turn over at all. This puts me in a dire situation as I have work early in the morning, with no one to give me a lift.. I've replaced the fuel filter, and I've taken it to a shop for an inspection. They checked fuel pressure, and replaced a few spark plugs and some spark plug wires. The car turned on no problem every time for them, so they didn't investigate further, and gave it back. It was working fine, up until a month ago, and now it's really a gamble if it'll start or not. Please help? I'll try to provide as much information as possible. Thank you!

99ga
06-17-2012, 10:19 PM
ur battery?starter maybe?

GrandAmProblems
06-17-2012, 10:28 PM
I've been told my battery is "new". But the owner before me treated the car like crap.. You know I think I'll try and purchase a new battery. See if it changes anything. Any recommendations for a good battery? Money really isn't an issue here, I need this car to work.

99ga
06-17-2012, 10:43 PM
jst check wen da car doesnt wanna start...check if ur lights from the outside or headlights still turn on...if dey do den its probly not ur battery....duralast are good deir bout 8-90 bucks

99ga
06-17-2012, 10:44 PM
80-90*

[ChaosweaveR]
06-17-2012, 10:45 PM
Okay, some mistakes I see right off that bat: replace a few plugs and wires? You replace them ALL, especially with the ignition systems these use.

Secondly, this is not a battery or even a starter issue. A bad battery will give you a weak start, as will a dying starter.

If it's cranking over, but not starting, you may have either a fuel or ignition issue, or a bad crank sensor. Is the SES light on? The fuel injectors may be clogged as well, a lack of proper fuel mixture will effect startup.

GrandAmProblems
06-17-2012, 10:51 PM
A friend has mentioned a crank sensor, so I'll look into that as well. I'll call a mechanic tomorrow I suppose. Thanks guys!

[ChaosweaveR]
06-17-2012, 10:52 PM
If it's a bad crank sensor, it will set off the SES light.

GrandAmProblems
06-17-2012, 10:54 PM
I have a service vehicle soon light on, and the airbag light on, but no, the Service engine light is not on.

[ChaosweaveR]
06-17-2012, 11:00 PM
SVS light usually means an electrical issue not directly related to the engine or transmission. You need a special code reader to pull the troublecodes from the BCM. The airbag light means bad wiring or something is altogether disconnected with the airbags. That light will make you fail a safety inspection.

AaronGTR
06-18-2012, 04:51 PM
If it tries to crank over sometimes when you turn the key, and then other times doesn't crank at all, it could possibly be a bad ignition switch.