Problems starting a 2000 GAGT with 3.4L v6 warm engine? [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Problems starting a 2000 GAGT with 3.4L v6 warm engine?

TimRTT777
06-23-2012, 03:45 PM
Hi,

Problems starting a 2000 Grand Am GT with the 3.4 L v6 when engine is warm. Cranks and fires but it almost seems like it is firing before top dead center? Seems like timing is off when engine is warm? Could/would this be a cam or crank sensor problem? Any ideas? Thanks in advance for all your insightful responses.

:banghead

:feedback:

Tim

Nick M
06-23-2012, 04:51 PM
First thing I would check would be the fuel pressure regulator. If the diaphram does not hold pressure the gas will go through it a create a flooded condition among other problems. Find it and do the "suck test": Disconnect the vacuum line that goes to the fpr but not from the fpr side. If you don't have a vacuum gauge you can just see if it holds pressure by applying a little suction to. Watch out for a mouthful of gasoline! It should be like sucking on a straw with your finger covering the other end, if not replace it.

AaronGTR
06-24-2012, 09:03 AM
First thing I would do is check and see if you have fuel pressure. Have you ever had your fuel pump replaced? They had an issue with the fuel pump not turning on on hot starts up through 2001 that was addressed with a redesigned fuel pump assembly. When I had my car and it was brand new I had the fuel pump replaced twice under warranty for no hot start issues, until the second replacement they finally had the new pump design in stock so I got that. Since then I haven't had any issues. Although I would have thought it would pop up much sooner, if you pump has never been replaced it could be that issue showing up just now. It will crank and run for a second and then die, because it's using the last of the fuel pressure in the system to feed the injectors but then the pressure goes to zero because the pump isn't on. So you need to see if you have pressure. You should be able to hear the pump turn on (humming noise from the back) for about 3 seconds when you turn the key to on.