99 Grand Am Brake ABS lights [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : 99 Grand Am Brake ABS lights

x_orange90_x
06-24-2012, 09:16 AM
Hello, I have both the BRAKE and ABS lights on in my car. I know there are several other questions and posts about this issue but I haven't seen any like mine.

First off, I recently had replaced all four caliper slide pins and re greased them. I had the bottom pin on the drivers side completely rusted and was not moving. I thought first this was surely the issue. After replacing all four of the front pins, new pads and rotors, I still have the ABS and BRAKE lights on.

Now I say my issue is different because the lights are not on when I start my car, but they are always on when I drive. As soon as I start my car they are off, but when I put the car in gear and start moving I hear some sort of slight knock once or twice and immediately the lights come on. I've tried narrowing down to speed but it just happens pretty much anytime past 5mph forward or reverse. I have no humming or grinding and clunking or anything like that while driving. My brakes work excellent, and make no noise stopping. The lights never go off after they have come on, only after shutting off the car and turning it back on.

Once in a while while driving the Trac Off light will come on too, but I can drive all day and it not come on, maybe just a few miles and it will come on. I have no idea where to start looking. I appreciate your replies! Thanks

2000 GT Coupe
06-24-2012, 09:22 AM
Hello, I have both the BRAKE and ABS lights on in my car. I know there are several other questions and posts about this issue but I haven't seen any like mine.

First off, I recently had replaced all four caliper slide pins and re greased them. I had the bottom pin on the drivers side completely rusted and was not moving. I thought first this was surely the issue. After replacing all four of the front pins, new pads and rotors, I still have the ABS and BRAKE lights on.

Now I say my issue is different because the lights are not on when I start my car, but they are always on when I drive. As soon as I start my car they are off, but when I put the car in gear and start moving I hear some sort of slight knock once or twice and immediately the lights come on. I've tried narrowing down to speed but it just happens pretty much anytime past 5mph forward or reverse. I have no humming or grinding and clunking or anything like that while driving. My brakes work excellent, and make no noise stopping. The lights never go off after they have come on, only after shutting off the car and turning it back on.

Once in a while while driving the Trac Off light will come on too, but I can drive all day and it not come on, maybe just a few miles and it will come on. I have no idea where to start looking. I appreciate your replies! Thanks
The best thing to do is have someone with a code reader(that can read abs codes) check the problem as the computer will tell you where and usually what the problem is.

FuriousG
06-24-2012, 11:17 AM
Sounds very similar to a hub sensor going off. Try checking the wires going to the back of your hubs and make sure the connections aren't loose or corroded. Aside from that, I'd look into replacing the hub assembly since these lights are related to sensors in them.

x_orange90_x
06-24-2012, 11:33 AM
Thanks for the replies!

@2000 my neighbor has a GM scanner, I will ask him if it scans ABS too

@FuriousG that's what I was afraid of hearing, but I myself assumed the same.. As far as them being plugged in they are, but I will have to check contacts too. Would alcohol hurt it if I sprayed the contacts with it? I don't have contact cleaner so that's why I ask.

FuriousG
06-24-2012, 01:36 PM
Thanks for the replies!

@2000 my neighbor has a GM scanner, I will ask him if it scans ABS too

@FuriousG that's what I was afraid of hearing, but I myself assumed the same.. As far as them being plugged in they are, but I will have to check contacts too. Would alcohol hurt it if I sprayed the contacts with it? I don't have contact cleaner so that's why I ask.

Isopropyl alcohol is used to clean contacts on normal electronics so I would imagine it should be fine for car electronics too.

Hubs are a common problem on these cars so it's highly likely that they will need replaced. The actual sensors are inside the hub so if they are throwing codes randomly then it's safe to assume the sensors are at fault. If it was ALWAYS throwing the codes then I'd suspect the wiring. Cleaning the contacts might make the codes less frequent (doubtful) but you will probably need to replace the hubs anyway.