SVS, ABS,Track off [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : SVS, ABS,Track off

Waterloodude
06-28-2012, 10:02 PM
Hello peeps,
I have the abs/trak off/svs lights on. I've read the stickys and I have a simple question. Once I clean and check the sensors, will the lights go off if that was the problem? Or will I have to bring it somewhere to have the codes cleared?They used to go off and on for a week or so, but now the lights stay on all the time. I'm pretty sure its not any wheel bearings or anything like that.

[ChaosweaveR]
06-28-2012, 10:06 PM
Alright, first things first, how many miles on the GA?

Has the wheel assemblies been replaced before? The ABS units on the assemblies usually go bad because of the excessive heat made by the bad bearings. If they're original, and you're over 100K, I can bet you have bad front hub(s).

Waterloodude
06-28-2012, 10:27 PM
Both front wheel bearings were changed last year.The car has 234,000 KM so about 146,000 miles.

UndeadGods
06-28-2012, 10:38 PM
Just to be sure, I would get it scanned.
My car did that too, went on and off for a long time, then eventually stayed on. Turned out that the sensor wire was broken.

Waterloodude
06-28-2012, 11:01 PM
Thanks for the reply UndeadGods.Forbes (the dealer)wants 115 bucks to read the abs code.I was trying to avoid paying that much just to read the code. I have a code reader but it doesn't read abs codes.

shiwnath
06-29-2012, 08:34 AM
Of course they'd want $115 for that.. they don't call em stealerships for nothing. Since you're in the area, I could read your codes for you if you'd like. I have an ABS scanner and I actually helped Sinski (UndeadGods) out with his ABS codes a month or two ago.

Waterloodude
06-29-2012, 10:14 AM
Thanks. Private message sent

[ChaosweaveR]
06-29-2012, 11:02 AM
Not to start an argument, but do you have any idea how much a typical GM dealership's BCM scanner costs? You'd understand better on WHY they charge that much...

shiwnath
06-29-2012, 11:53 AM
Yeah yeah a tech II is like over $1K IIRC, but do you think they pay that much for one? I still think it's unreasonable to pay $115 just to find out what dummy codes are on the dash when I can just buy an Actron ABS Scanner for $90 off Amazon... Going to the dealer to scan codes is for people who have little to none technical knowledge about OBDII

2000 GT Coupe
06-29-2012, 01:00 PM
;1181256']Not to start an argument, but do you have any idea how much a typical GM dealership's BCM scanner costs? You'd understand better on WHY they charge that much...

Yeah yeah a tech II is like over $1K IIRC, but do you think they pay that much for one? I still think it's unreasonable to pay $115 just to find out what dummy codes are on the dash when I can just buy an Actron ABS Scanner for $90 off Amazon... Going to the dealer to scan codes is for people who have little to none technical knowledge about OBDII

Sure it costs alot for the machine but if they spread that cost over 1000 people it gets to be quite a bit less.

However if they charge so much for the read they will not get so many people.;crap