oil pressure gauge [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : oil pressure gauge

350rs
06-28-2012, 11:32 PM
Looking around on the site im going to put in a t-fitting and run both the switch and a gauge.

Im curious if anybody happens to know the size and thread pitch of the stock location for the pressure switch? I know I could just take it out and go to a local speed shop and piece it all together. But would help a lot if I had the size and pitch already.

I installed these on my Camaro years ago, but I never did properly wire the lights for them, where might i go to wire the light for the gauge correctly? So its on when interior lights are on, and off when they aren't. Im assuming the dimmer switch on the dash where I would choose how bright i want the lights??

One more thing. I have a spare sending unit for the autometer gauges that are in the Camaro. Thought the first was bad, so i replaced it. Turns out i had a bad connection somewhere. So its lightly used and really only a few years old. Could I use that for any auto meter gauge? Or for any gauge at that? If nothing else I will call them and give them numbers and see what they say. But I have managed to get some good helpful answers here, so thought I would give ya'll a try again.

PS: Those of you that remember me and my problems... ALL IS FINALLY WELL!!! (knock on wood). lol

AaronGTR
06-29-2012, 02:33 PM
I'm pretty sure it's 1/4" NPT thread. I'm sure I've posted this info before though if you run a search. iirc I used a 1/4" to 1/8" NPT adapter screwed into my block, then a 1/8" NPT extension out to a 1/8" T-fitting. I used 1/8" because the aftermarket sender was 1/8" NPT so I could screw it directly into the T, then I used a 1/8" to 1/4" adapter to screw in the stock pressure switch. :)

Malaclypse
06-29-2012, 07:50 PM
^Exactly what he said.

1/4" NPT (National Pipe Thread) fittings are available at any decent hardware store. Brass is good because it won't corrode but its a good idea to use teflon tape anyways to ensure a good seal.

350rs
06-29-2012, 08:50 PM
You probably did aaron i may have just missed it. I went a few pages in and clicked anything that looked like it could have had the info i wanted. So just 1/4 npt and then whatever my sending unit is. I know i had it directly into my SBC but it very well could be different in the 3.4.

Thanks guys!!

350rs
06-29-2012, 10:03 PM
also, im just going to throw out a lazy card here and ask where yall routed your wire through the firewall? I really dont want to go through the door jamb. Looks tacky to me. Without looking around in there I cant think of an easy spot off the top of my head.

AaronGTR
06-30-2012, 09:40 AM
There's a rubber grommet in the firewall behind and down from underhood fuse block. You should be able to just punch a small hole in it and feed the wire through that and it will seal up ok around the wire, enough to keep water out anyway. You can't really reach it from the engine side without pulling the fuse block from it's mounting, but you can see it from under the dash inside the car. I fed my wire through from the inside, then was able to get a hand down there to grab it and pull the rest through. :)

350rs
07-07-2012, 08:38 AM
Right on dude. Thanks!!

tamilrmx
09-25-2012, 05:24 PM
Im wondering if this is the t fitting i need --> http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Brass-Pipe-Branch-Male-T-Fitting-1-4-NPT-Air-Fuel-Boat-/190448328779?pt=Boat_Parts_Accessories_Gear&hash=item2c579ae04b

I want to run my (stock oil pressure sensor + autometer oil press gauge sensor) , i noticed the autometer oil sensor has an adaptor which has been put on over the existing thread to make it a bigger one..is this how everyones is

AaronGTR
09-25-2012, 05:50 PM
Im wondering if this is the t fitting i need --> http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Brass-Pipe-Branch-Male-T-Fitting-1-4-NPT-Air-Fuel-Boat-/190448328779?pt=Boat_Parts_Accessories_Gear&hash=item2c579ae04b

I want to run my (stock oil pressure sensor + autometer oil press gauge sensor) , i noticed the autometer oil sensor has an adaptor which has been put on over the existing thread to make it a bigger one..is this how everyones is

You could use something like that, but it would be too close to the engine block to fit the aftermarket sending unit, so you'd have to end up using an extension anyway and a coupler as well, and would actually end up buying more parts. You'd be better off just buying a brass T with three female thread holes and a male 3" extension from a hardware store. You can find them at lowes/home depot.

Also the stock one isn't a sensor, it's just a switch. See post #2.

sleepyalero
09-25-2012, 05:52 PM
im running an oil pressure gauge, and removed the stock oil pressure sensor. does fine, and no lights are on the cluster. so why not just run an aftermarket pressure gauge only?

tamilrmx
09-25-2012, 05:55 PM
You could use something like that, but it would be too close to the engine block to fit the aftermarket sending unit, so you'd have to end up using an extension anyway and a coupler as well, and would actually end up buying more parts. You'd be better off just buying a brass T with three female thread holes and a male 3" extension from a hardware store. You can find them at lowes/home depot.

Also the stock one isn't a sensor, it's just a switch. See post #2.

Great thanks buddy , so all 3 sides on the T have to be 1/4" in size?

AaronGTR
09-25-2012, 06:04 PM
im running an oil pressure gauge, and removed the stock oil pressure sensor. does fine, and no lights are on the cluster. so why not just run an aftermarket pressure gauge only?

Because it's safer to have it. I'm not sure if the programming/wiring is the same on all cars. One persons car I was helping tune, he had an aftermarket sensor and no stock switch in. It was a different year from mine and kept popping up a code that wasn't even listed in my 2000 service manual and wasn't active on my car. Googled it, and it had something to do with oil pressure. My only guess is that his year/pcm was programmed to look for the switch being closed when you would turn the ignition on before starting the engine when there wouldn't be oil pressure yet, possibly as a safety feature to make sure the circuit was working. When he'd turn the key to on and PCM didn't see the switch close, it thought something was broken and kept setting the code.

Bottom line, it's not hard to leave it in, so why not just leave it in? It's one more level of safety to get your attention if a problem occurs.

Great thanks buddy , so all 3 sides on the T have to be 1/4" in size?

Honestly, I don't remember what all sizes I used (it was a long time ago) and I don't have any pics of it I can find right now. I think I used 1/4" NPT for the T and extension, and screwed the sending unit directly into the T. I don't recall if I had to use an adapter for the threads in the block or the stock switch. It shouldn't be hard to just look at them and know what you'll need to get. It's a pretty obvious difference between 1/4, 3/8, and 1/2 NPT.

sleepyalero
09-25-2012, 06:31 PM
Because it's safer to have it. I'm not sure if the programming/wiring is the same on all cars. One persons car I was helping tune, he had an aftermarket sensor and no stock switch in. It was a different year from mine and kept popping up a code that wasn't even listed in my 2000 service manual and wasn't active on my car. Googled it, and it had something to do with oil pressure. My only guess is that his year/pcm was programmed to look for the switch being closed when you would turn the ignition on before starting the engine when there wouldn't be oil pressure yet, possibly as a safety feature to make sure the circuit was working. When he'd turn the key to on and PCM didn't see the switch close, it thought something was broken and kept setting the code.

Bottom line, it's not hard to leave it in, so why not just leave it in? It's one more level of safety to get your attention if a problem occurs.

You have a point, but I would think my oil pressure gauge would tell me if there was a problem either way (oil pressure be to low it would show it running at a certain psi) so I would think with a stock sensor or not you would still be okay. To me it was just easier to buy an adapter to fit onto the aftermarket sensor, and put it in where the stock one goes. Idk I havent had any problems though and its been like that for about 2 years now.

03 GA GT1
10-01-2012, 09:12 PM
I could not find the thread that Aaron posted for the info on the install. But I did find this, Oil Pressure Gauge Installation (http://www.grandamgt.com/oilpressure-pfyc.html).

Edit
I found it, I think that this is the one you were looking for. Only had to go back to 2004. I'm going to be doing this soon that's why I wanted to find it.

I have an oil pressure gauge and still left the warning light working. All you have to do is go to the hardware store and get some brass NPT thread fittings to make it work. Specifically you need a 1/8"npt female "T" fitting and a short 1/8"npt straight male extension peice. You put the extension into the middle of the "T" and tighten it with a pair of pliers. Then twist the other end of the extension into the hole in the block where the pressure sensor was. Put the old sensor into one side of the "T" and the new gauge sensor into the other side and tighten them with a wrench until both are snug. Make sure to use some teflon paste on all conections. :thumbs: