Radiator replacement [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Radiator replacement

panmanhd
06-29-2012, 05:54 PM
How the hell do you remove a radiator on a 02 gagt??? I have a leak on the drivers side of the rad, I can't see where it's coming from, I have removed the battery, battery tray upper rad hose, electric fans, lower rad hose and hose to the overflow fill tank, their are two screws that hold the rad to the body, I have removed them, but it looks like the ac condenser is connected to the radiator, how do you remove the rad without removing the ac condenser???? And without disconnecting the ac hose from the compressor???? There ain't much room, I think the rad has a hole in it somewhere, it leaked out a half a gallon of antifreeze, I filled it ,up got home, 30 miles let it cool down, checked the fill tank. No fluid, but no puddle on the ground, it Leaked sometimes, then it leaked a whole lot one day, got to fix this thing, any info would be greatly appriecated.

tornado5
06-29-2012, 07:45 PM
I the dame problem with mine my leaks ever so often sometimes a lot sometimes a little. I went autozone and gm dealership. i was told that they would have to disconnect the compreser and recharge the system after the new radiator was put it and that radcked the price up. so i still have a bad raidator. I guess the person before me hit something so the radiator is bent a little but it only leaks some times and i just refill it.......until i figure out how to change it my self. lol

AaronGTR
06-30-2012, 09:46 AM
You should be able to do it without disconnecting the a/c condenser. Might have to remove some of the radiator shrouding, and you have to take out the radiator support under the car. It is supposed to drop out the bottom. ;) The condenser is held to the radiator with four tabs. Two of them just sit in notches on the bottom of the radiator, and the top two have screws in them that you have to take out. It's been a while so I don't remember exactly, but I think the bottom two have sort of a plastic clip or something... I don't remember if you have to pull any tabs or if you just yank it out.... but basically it should just drop away from the condenser. You might want to have someone hold the condenser while you do this, just to make sure you don't bend any lines.

panmanhd
06-30-2012, 06:52 PM
You are right Aaron, i just figured it out this morning in my driveway, @95 degrees, you have to take the support bar off the bottom of the car, then lay everything foward to get at the two screws that hold the ac condenser to the radiator then just pull the rad up and off, ya it sounds simple but it sucks to do by yourself. i hope everything will go back together faster and the same way, i hope a new radiator is cheap they sure are puney