2004 Left wiper has turned loose [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : 2004 Left wiper has turned loose

sebrantley25
07-01-2012, 11:57 PM
After making the mistake of allowing my wife to take her 2004 GA to get it washed (she went through the automatic wash), she complained that the wiper arm had ridden up during the wash. I know, as many of you do, that this can happen as the brushes or even the dryer blowers attack the car. So when I stepped out to look at it, I found that the driver's side arm had turned all the way past the front pillar and was hanging off the car.

Any ideas? Is this just the linkage being stripped?

Thanks
Steve

UndeadGods
07-02-2012, 12:44 AM
Did you try putting it back in position and tightening it? It could be just became loose

sebrantley25
07-03-2012, 06:31 PM
Haven't tried to tighten it up yet. I was hoping on some insight to reduce the number of times I might need to open it up.

sebrantley25
07-04-2012, 03:04 PM
Pulled the entire unit out. Found that the little plastic "bushing" snapped. GM designed it so that you can't buy replacement pieces, you have to replace the entire linkage. Go GM!:applause: I tried the local HELP! section at the parts house and found nothing. Looked at 3 salvage yards for the part. Apparently, these are one of the first parts to get pulled from this model.

UndeadGods
07-05-2012, 09:24 AM
I got a car thats being parted out, send me a pic of what the part.
How much did the dealership want for it?

rocketfast123
07-05-2012, 09:43 AM
Weird pull-a-part had a lot of wiper linkage(s) the last time i went. Did you look at the Malibu?

sebrantley25
07-08-2012, 09:53 AM
I went ahead and bought one from the dealership after they told me it would have a new motor for $185. Lo and behold my wife stopped in to get it, and not knowing any different, she left with just the linkage. When I went back to complain, they told me that the motor was extra. I got my money back and bought a new one on-line from another dealership for only $95. Amazing huh?

The Malibu has a different wiper well configuration and therefore a different linkage.